Ad tech 2013 - re-target, re-engage, and reap the email roi
• Why re-engage?
• Re-engagement and content
• Re-engagement and data
• The multi-channel approach
• Different types of loyalty
What’s on the Agenda?
• Lifetime of product
• Your customer lifecycle
• Your brand
• How were you found?
The Cost of an Email Address
“… It is 6-7 times more expensive to gain a new
customer than retain an existing customer. …”
Harvard Business Review
• Big ISPs monitor engagement in order to assign a
reputation to all senders
• Positive actions vs. Negative actions
• Don’t become ‘graymail’
• Don’t let the negative responses stop engaged recipients
receiving your emails
• Maintain your list – know who needs to go…
2012 has proven that email is very much still king; achieving the
highest ROI compared to any other channel, as well as the
following impressive stats from DC Financial Insights, 2012.
“77% of customers prefer to receive
permission-based promotions via email”
“Only 6% of customers preferring these
messages via social media”
“ROI of 3000% achieved through email in
Segment & Target Accordingly Based on Rapport
• High image coverage
• More frequent
• Focus on the click/conversion
• Unique content
• Louder subject lines
• Aim for the open
• Consider plain text or similar
• Know your content
• Incentivise recipients with a special offer – perhaps*
• Subject lines and serialisation
• Ask them what they want!
Re-engagement and content
• Open Rate 5.1%
• Click Rate 2.2%
Incentive vs. Non-Incentive Re-Engagement Campaigns
• Open Rate 6.5%
• Click Rate 1.6%
No recipients clicked the unsubscribe option!
Consider Cleaning Your List
• Matching against purchase
history & your sub-conscious
• The value of an email and your
• The number and age of the dis-
• Keep it simple
• Invite the opt-out (and opt-in)
• Preferences /opt-down – make sure they are honoured!
• Learn from behaviours and patterns
• Invite feedback & listen
For Dis-engaged Subscribers
“Kayleigh, thanks for your visit, we’d like to treat you to a bottle of wine”
• Consider the opportunity or risk that dis-engagement poses to you
• Think about sending differently
• Subject line is key!
• Analyse and evaluate your customer’s journey
• Target based on behaviour
• Think cross-channel for other engagement
• Reward loyalty and prevent dis-engagement!