• Mother Teresa was a woman who gave a lot to the
poor. She helped them in any way she could and won
many awards for this. One of these awards, and
probably her favorite, is still being remembered today.
• Mother Teresa was born circa August 26th
1910 (circa means about).
• She was baptized on August 27th 1910 as
Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu.
She grew in a Christian home and her
parents were Nicola and Drana Bojaxhiu.
• Her father fell ill when she was only 8 years old
• She became very close to her mother.
• Mother Teresa's mom had always tried to
make sure her daughter took care of others.
• "My child, never eat a single mouthful unless
you are sharing it with others," is what she had
E D U C AT I O N
• Mother Teresa went to a covenant-run
primary school and then a state-run
• She sang in the choir and was so good
she would be asked to do solos once
in a while.
• She was 18 when she decided to head
out on a great adventure to become a
• She went to Ireland to join the Loretta
Sisters of Dublin.
• She took the name Mary Teresa after
Saint Thrérèse of Lisieuix.
HOW SHE BECAME A HERO
• A 19 year-old Agnes Bojaxhiu was sent to Calcutta,
India to teach at Saint Mary's high school for girls.
• There she taught children, hoping to lead them to
• As was the Loreto nuns custom, she took a vow to
live a life of chastity, poverty, and obedience.
• She stayed at the school and became the
• She once said this in prayer : "Give me the
strength to be ever the light of their lives, so that I
may lead them at last to you,"
HOW SHE BECAME A HERO
• She experienced a life changing miracle.
• On a train to Himalayan foothills, Jesus came to
• He asked, and I quote, "I want Indian Nuns,
Missionaries of Charity, who would be my fire of
love amongst the poor, the sick, the dying and
the little children,"
• You are I know the most incapable person—
weak and sinful but just because you are that—I
want to use You for My glory. Wilt thou refuse?"
• She said she would help.
• She took a pledge of obedience so she needed
to get permission
• She set out to help the poor one and a half
• Mother teresa started many thing such
as a leper colony, an orphanage, a
nursing home, a family clinic and a
string of mobile health clinics.
• She did this over the course of the
1950's and 60's.
• She took the title Mother and became
known as Mother Teresa.
• Mother teresa won the Nobel piece
prize as well as many other prizes.
• She died on September 5th, 1997,
when she was 87 years-old.
W H AT W E C A N D O
• We can care for each other
• We can take care of the poor
• We can donate to charity
• And we can be our best to stop bullying!
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.