Australians.Culture. (2012). In Merriam-Webster. Retrieved from http://www.merriam-webster.com/Gooda, M. (2010). Real People Affected by Racist Taunts. Aboriginal & Islander Health Worker Journal, 34(4), 19.
1. Shura Steven WhitakerETH 125March 30, 2012Lorrie Douglas
2. I identify who I am based on who my parentswere and are. I inherited my physical traitsfrom your parents. My build, my skincolor, my eye color and shape, the shape andsizes of my ears, nose, feet, and hands, myhair color and texture straight and curly. My deceased father was an Italian and WhiteAustralian. My mother is an Aboriginal and WhiteAustralian.
3. Racially I see myself as what my parents wereand are. Some ask what I am and some justassume. White Aborigines Italian
4. My parent’s ancestry is my ancestry. White / English ancestry Italian ancestry Aboriginal ancestry Asian ancestry
5. As stated in (Australians.Culture., 2012). “Aboriginalpeople who resided off reserves, and who were notassimilated into white society, were relegated tofringes of country towns and ghettos like Redfern andSouth Brisbane. They were assigned a welfare/charityrole that encouraged their being pitied as "victims oftheir own inadequacies". In rural areas the womenwere exploited sexually and the men utilised asseasonal workers. In both city and rural areas, theywere marginalised.”As stated in (Gooda, 2010) “historically, inAustralia, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoplehave endured generations of systemicdiscrimination.” Throughout many decadeslaws, programs, and policies, programs were set totreat Torres Strait Islander people and Aboriginalpeople with less equally than any other Australians.
6. Even though my ancestry is White /English, Italian, Aboriginal, and Asian and Iidentify racially as Aborigines, White, andItalian; I was raised by my White and Italianfather along with my White stepmother in aWhite society. My father and stepmotherwere White and all of my friends wereWhite. Even as an adult now the majority ofmy friends are White.
7. “Myall Creek was the tip of the iceberg of frontierviolence against Aboriginal people.” —Prof. RhondaCraven, Centre for Educational Research, Universityof Western SydneyThe Myall Creek massacre was one of the worse acts ofdiscrimination and violence against Aboriginal people.Leader John Fleming and his stockmen road intoMyall Creek Station to kill all Aborigines people theycame across. They tied the Aborigines men’s handbehind their backs while they were made to watchthe Aborigines women get repeated raped thenkilled. The Aborigines children were next as theywere buried in the ground with only their headsabove ground. John Fleming and his stockmen tookturns seeing who could decapitate and knock thechildren’s heads off the furthest in the air. This wasnot the first nor last massacre of Aborigines people.
8. Australians.Culture. (2012). In Merriam-Webster. Retrieved fromhttp://www.merriam-webster.com/ Gooda, M. (2010). Real People Affected byRacist Taunts. Aboriginal & IslanderHealth Worker Journal, 34(4), 19. http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/history/massacres-Myall-Creek-1838.html#ixzz1qaJ1kB3P