OF THE CALL
Breath of Life International Church
22 February 2012
Understanding the Call
• A divine assignment
– An invitation to complete a work
– Your call is an invitation to DO something
• A privilege, not a right; not earned
• Not selective
– Matthew 22:14
• Not reversible
– Romans 11:29
• No guarantee of success
• Requires sacrifice
• Matthew 22:14
• Many are called, but few are chosen.
– The Called
• G2821 (G2822), Gr. κλῆσις “klēsis”
• Pronounced klay'-sis
• An invitation, calling
– The Chosen
• G1588 (G1589), Gr. ἐκλεκτός “eklektos̄”
• Pronounced ek-lek-tos'
• Chosen, selected, elected, favorite
Supply and Demand
• God has need of you, but He doesn’t
• Your calling is never rescinded, but you
can be replaced! Don’t get fired!
– Eli replaced by Samuel
– Saul replaced by David
– Judas replaced by Matthias
• It’s not about you! It’s about God’s
plan being executed!
Called, Sent and Chosen
“For many are called, but few
are chosen.” Matthew 22:14
“But how can they call on him
to save them unless they
believe in him? And how can
they believe in him if they have
never heard about him? And
how can they hear about him
unless someone tells them?
And how will anyone go and
tell them without being sent?”
You Must Make the Cut
CHOSEN – Those who preach the Gospel and live
thereby, including all specific instruction by the
Spirit, are chosen.
GIFTED – All are expected to assist the Body of Christ by
sharing the Gospel AND using the gifts given by Christ,
through the Holy Spirit, for the Church.
SENT – All who accept Christ are called to share the
CALLED – God calls many to salvation.
Badge of Honor
The Call Requires WORK!
• 2 Timothy 4:5; Matthew 28:18-20
– You must PROVE yourself!
• Your call is not a title or a status, but a
duty… an assignment!
• Are you doing your job well? One must
be accountable to God and His people
in order to be successful!
– Proverbs 27:2
– Ephesians 4
Walk Worthy of the Call
• Ephesians 4:1-3 (NLT)
– Therefore I, a prisoner for serving the Lord,
beg you to lead a life worthy of your calling,
for you have been called by God.
– Always be humble and gentle. Be patient
with each other, making allowance for
each other’s faults because of your love.
– Make every effort to keep yourselves united
in the Spirit, binding yourselves together
Walk Worthy of God
• 1 Thessalonians 2:12 (NLT)
– We pleaded with you, encouraged you, and
urged you to live your lives in a way that
God would consider worthy. For he called
you to share in his Kingdom and glory.
Never Neglect the Gifts
• 1 Timothy 4:13-15 (NLT)
– …focus on reading the Scriptures to the
church, encouraging the believers, and
– Do not neglect the spiritual gift you
received through the prophecy spoken over
you when the elders of the church laid their
hands on you.
– Give your complete attention to these
matters. Throw yourself into your tasks so
that everyone will see your progress.
Take it Seriously
• 2 Peter 1:10-11 (NLT)
– …work hard to prove that you really are
among those God has called and chosen.
Do these things, and you will never fall
– Then God will give you a grand entrance
into the eternal Kingdom of our Lord and
Savior Jesus Christ.
Be Led of the Spirit
• John 14:26
• 1 Corinthians 12, 14
– Many gifts are granted of the same Spirit
– Unity is essential
– EVERY gift is necessary
– Accountability is required
– God operates in ORDER, not confusion
• Ephesians 4:4-16