Airline Online Distribution
4th May 2005
Emirates and Online Distribution
• As a global carrier, Emirates has seen and acknowledged the
impact of the internet on our distribution channels.
• Our main objective is to provide an additional sales channel for
customers who wish to interact with us via the internet.
• However, it is important to balance our online offering with our other
• Internet distribution covers all online sales via Emirates.com and
online travel agent portals.
• The key benefit to Emirates is the opportunity to lower our
interaction costs across all customer segments.
Emirates e-Commerce today
• Bespoke Internet booking engine integrated with airline reservation system
using a Datalex platform.
• Online booking available from 33 countries in 5 languages, supported by
individual country sites.
• 4 easy and convenient ticketing options including e-Ticketing.
• A secure payment gateway (BIBIT).
• Average of 1.5 million unique visitors per month
• 76% of our visitors ranked the site very good or excellent
10% average revenue
growth each month since Top 5 online booking markets Top 5 sectors
April 2003 UAE DXB-LON
New Zealand DXB-DOH
Apr- May- Jun- Jul- Aug- Sep- Oct- Nov- Dec- Jan- Feb- Mar- Apr- May- Jun- Jul- Aug- Sep- Oct- Nov- Dec- Jan- Feb- Mar- Apr-
2003 2003 2003 2003 2003 2003 2003 2003 2003 2004 2004 2004 2004 2004 2004 2004 2004 2004 2004 2004 2004 2005 2005 2005 2005
Retrieve a booking
Travel planning and booking
Skywards online redemption
Flight schedules and status
Emirates contact information
Emirates value-add offers Promotion via email & online
Special offer promotion Monthly special fare offers marketing as well as traditional
Destination offers channels
Dubai and the UAE information
Traveller information Emirates product and airport information
Additional languages - including Arabic
Improved self-service functionality
Ancillary services booking
Word of mouth 29%
Advertisement in 26%
Using a search engine 24%
Via Skywards website 22%
TV advertisement / cinema 13%
Internet advertisement 12%
The word of mouth is increasing as an influence to visit emirates.com
Repeat versus first time visitors to Emirates.com
50% 2004 2005
10% 20% 20%
Australia UK UAE India US
Attracting more repeat online customers across all markets
Differing travel behaviour of Emirates.com customers
15% 24% 8% 5% 18% 27%
Australia 31% 16% 5% 3% 7% 36%
US 20% 13% 23% 5% 11% 18%
17% 19% 3% 5% 26% 28%
UK 12% 30% 7% 5% 16% 25%
UAE 6% 26% 7% 7% 30% 24%
A destination within my own country Europe North America Africa Middle East Asia/Oceania
Online customers are predominantly long and medium haul travellers
Emirates Online target segments
Different Customer segments require different online products and services.
Leisure Business Travel Agents
• The Travel Agent
• Need to provide an • Servicing of Corporate
remains an important
interactive journey Travellers and
management service Corporate Accounts
online. are becoming more
• Need to develop new
complex as the
and innovative online
• Customer requirements
services to service
differ per market for self
• Opportunity exists to
• A new Online Travel
• Online service adoption
Agents portal has
customers and their
been launched to
substantially for all
fulfilment agents more
service the trade
more efficiently and
• An opportunity to drive
at a lower cost base.
• Reporting, online
down cost in our Call
Emirates Travel Agent online
Provide the Emirates Travel Agent with a one stop local website to
for reference, interaction and transaction with Emirates.
• Launched in Australia • Roll out to all Emirates
and UAE and soon in markets globally
other primary markets.
• Ownership by the local
• 5 Modules to the Emirates stations to
product: ensure usage and
relevance to the
2. Register and update details
• Implementation of
3. Download all local policies
for Agents to lower
4. Broadcast of all local
their interaction cost
promotions and offers,
including private offers
5. Emirates local and Network
Increasing business coming from Online Agents
Emirates is actively pursuing relationships with online Travel Agents as customer
expectations are that Emirates needs to be visible and competitive.
USA Europe Far East Aus, NZ
• CENDANT • Opodo • Priceline • Travel.com.au
• Price line • Travelocity • ZUJI • ZUJI
• ORBITZ • E-Bookers • Web-jet
• Travelocity • Lastminute
• EXPEDIA • Go Voyage
• Emirates does not differentiate between Online and Traditional Travel Agents.
• Partnerships are evaluated based on local market share, ability to drive volume,
strong customer base and marketing power.
Self-service – the way forward
• High adoption of self-service Look for and compare
channels across many industries
• Online self-service solutions Check
enable the customer to take
control of their own travel
requirements when it suits them Check flight availability
• Customers are demanding the Access FFP account
same from airlines, this is information
evidenced by a massive
increased usage of Emirates Look for a specific
fare/discount I saw adv.
• Expansion of Emirates online will Check for flight status
focus primarily on meeting this
demand and empowering our
customers to chose how they
wish to deal with us
Global travel distribution is changing.
The internet has become an integral part of airline distribution
This change is developing at different speeds across our markets
and Emirates is tailoring its’ strategy to meet these needs.
Emirates is well positioned to further capitalise on the growth of the
internet and changes in consumer purchasing behaviour.