View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
How the Content Strategist
Still Sees (a Lot of) the Web.
‣ “Redesign must die”
‣ “Every large website
is a complex
adaptive system.” Credit: “Redesign Must Die” , louisrosenfeld.com
The Content Strategy Gospel
‣ The web is a publishing medium.
‣ Content is integral (to experience).
‣ Content producers = de facto publishers.
‣ To users, the web is awash in content.
Site owners feel the ﬂoodwaters, too.
So, sink or swim. Filter or be ﬂooded.
Content Strategy as
“The Day 2 Problem”
Postlaunch is a
Nothing shines a light on the good
faith agreement between client and
consultant than thoughtful aftercare.
Editorial strategy is about caring for
content after launch day. Credit: Flickr Commons
Do You Have One?
Editorial strategy is ...
‣ a set editorial mix Credit: Jessica Hagy
‣ scheduled release of ongoing content
‣ packaged as a bundle of like content
‣ supported through masthead workﬂow
‣ guided by a product strategy
Deﬁning Editorial Content
What is it? A publishing asset.
‣ Repeatable and repeatedly
published content in a
recognizable form (article, podcast,
etc.) and packaged (e.g., edited) for
‣ Made valuable to an audience by:
being innovative; through subject
matter expertise or authority; by
voice or other brand attributes.
Example: Slate’s “Today’s Papers”
12 years ago, Slate.com pioneered a daily
form of content aggregation for news
It evolved from novel
convenience to meta-digest
to spin-oﬀs to modular, near-
Key Debates in Editorial Strategy
‣ Free v. paid (rev. models: licensing, etc.)
‣ Production model: factory v. atelier
‣ Curation v. aggregation
‣ Original content: longform/shortform
‣ Editorial mix: stock & ﬂow
Editorial Strategy FYI Credit: Jonathan Maziarz, eatmedia.net
Credit: Clinton Forry, content-ment.com
Credit: Jason Santa Maria, SVA presentation
Credit: Luke Hayman, Pentagram.com
Credit: Adam Taplin,
Content Strategy Google Group Credit: Robin Sloan, snarkmarket.com
Credit: Prasanna Lal Das,
prasannalaldas.blogspot.com Credit: Muriel Vandermeulen,