1. Making Innovation an On-going Process Praveen Gupta President, Accelper Consulting Architect, Brinnovation™ Pioneer, Six Sigma ASQ Fellow Welcome! [email_address] [email_address]
2. Objective and Outline Today <ul><li>Objective: </li></ul><ul><li>Learn aspects of innovation required to make it an on-going process. </li></ul><ul><li>Outline: </li></ul><ul><li>Understanding Innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Innovation Deployment </li></ul><ul><li>Our Portfolio of Innovation Programs </li></ul>
3. Bill Gates’ Business Model Build Customer Relationships Improve Operations Connect with Partners and Suppliers Drive Business Innovation Ref: Gates, CES 2007 Create Value with people. 1 2 4 3 Delight customers and grow business.
4. Sustaining Profitable Growth Strategy for Execution (SFE) Map Sustained Profitable Growth D M A I C Prepare (To do well) Material/ Information Machines/ Tools Method/ Approach Output Mind/ Skills Input Perform (Well) Perfect ? (On target) Send Progress (Reduce Variability) Scorecard for Impact Innovation for Growth Operations Excellence Process Management Understand Process Solve Problem Drivers Growth Profit Sustain Excellence C O D E T
5. Return on Innovation .36 .41 .51 .52 .60 .83 1.74 2.04 2.83 2.85 ROI ($) HP Motorola Cisco Microsoft 3M Genentech eBay Apple Dell Google Best ($) .09 .10 .13 .13 .15 .21 .44 .51 .71 .71 $ / year Genentech 3 Toyota Dell 10 Sony Walt Disney 9 IBM Boeing 8 Walt Disney Starbucks 7 3m Motorola 6 PnG eBay 5 Microsoft Amazon 4 GE Apple 2 Google Google 1 Apple Most (RGxPG) Ranking BW Top Ten
6. Business Innovation Defined <ul><li>Continually and efficiently developing breakthrough innovations for offering higher value to customers, achieving profitable growth for businesses, and gaining competitive advantages in the marketplace. </li></ul><ul><li>Breakthrough is defined as the advances that will significantly effect financials by changing the game using the Rule of 2. </li></ul><ul><li>Business innovation begins with strategy and ends with profitable growth for an organization </li></ul>
7. Freedom to Think! Encouragement to ‘think’ Freedom to give ‘funny’ ideas’ Make your people think? Give them time!
8. <ul><li>Innovation = Effort x (Speed of Thought) 2 </li></ul>Where speed of thought is a function Of Knowledge, Play and Imagination. Innovation Framework
9. The T.E.D.O.C. Methodology Which phase (s) we do and don’t? Target (T) Opportunity Develop (D) Alternatives Explore (E) ideas Optimize (O) Solution Commercialize (C) Innovation <ul><li>Listen to customer for specific needs </li></ul><ul><li>Making customer’s life easier, better, and richer </li></ul><ul><li>Explore ‘what if’ scenarios </li></ul><ul><li>Research customer’s customers for their value proposition </li></ul><ul><li>Create innovative options for the customer, and customers’ customers </li></ul><ul><li>Optimize the solution for the customer giving the best value </li></ul><ul><li>Close the deal </li></ul><ul><ul><li>What </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>When </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Value </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Fun </li></ul></ul>Give customers more than they want at an affordable price.
10. Business Innovation Index 28.6% Business Innovation Index (BIN) .3*50 = 15 = (1/2)*100 = 50% $2M revenue for new products $1M for innovative solutions Revenue Growth (% of sales for innovation) .4*4 = 1.6 =(40/1000)*100 = 4% 1000 ideas per month Number of ideas for the month = 40 Number of innovative ideas per employee =.3*40 = 12 =(2/5)*100 = 40% 5 employees recognized per month Number of employees recognized = 2 CEO Recognition for exceptional value creation Weighted Score Company Score Company Goals Company Data Measures
11. Monetize and Institutionalize Innovation Capture key value growth ideas Educate managers in innovation Allocate resources for innovation Develop new innovative solutions Invest in leadership development Sustaining Profitable Growth Start before you need to Train the troops Designate a team of experts Appoint a senior leader
12. Organization for Innovation Executive Officer Innovation Leadership Idea Management Financial Officer Operating Officer Growth Officer Creativity Culture
13. Innovation Deployment <ul><li>Go for growth </li></ul><ul><li>Plan for innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Leadership for innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Organizational structure for innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Culture for innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Process for innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Measures for innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Education in innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Recognition and rewards for innovation </li></ul><ul><li>Launch the innovation initiative </li></ul><ul><li>Learn and adjust </li></ul>
14. Training Programs @ IIT <ul><li>Your job is your business </li></ul><ul><li>Run like a business, not like a job </li></ul><ul><li>Information and technology are your competitive weapons </li></ul><ul><li>LEARN TO EXCEL AND INNOVATE </li></ul><ul><li>Love and serve your customers </li></ul><ul><li>Create value-add services </li></ul><ul><li>Service your solutions </li></ul><ul><li>Sell, lead, and enjoy! </li></ul>
15. (C) Accelper Consulting 2007 Asking questions is critical for becoming more innovative!
16. Thank you! <ul><li>For more information, please contact </li></ul><ul><li>[email_address] </li></ul><ul><li>Toll Free: (800) 680-0700 Tel: (847) 884-1900 </li></ul><ul><li>www.accelper.com www.ibusinessinnovation.com </li></ul>www.businessinnovationconference.com “ I believe creativity happens, but I also believe that Mr. Gupta has helped uncover a way to make innovation happen.” - Dipak Jain, Dean, Kellogg School of Management
17. Praveen Gupta Praveen Gupta, a management consultant, has authored several books including Business Innovation in the 21st Century, Stat Free Six Sigma, Six Sigma Performance Handbook, and Service Scorecard. Praveen is Editor-in-Chief of International Journal of Innovation Science, and writes a monthly column Manufacturing Excellence in the Quality magazine. Praveen frequently speaks at conferences internationally. Praveen has been recognized as a thought leader in areas of excellence and innovation. He has developed Six Sigma Business Scorecard, the 4P model of excellence, Breakthrough innovation, and Stat Free Six Sigma methods that have been translated and used worldwide. Praveen, the founding president of Accelper Consulting (www.accelper.com), has worked at Motorola, and AT&T Bell Laboratories, and consulted with about 100 small to large size companies including CNA, Abbott Labs, Superior Essex, Dentsply, Hexel, Experian, Sloan Valves, Weber Markings, Wayne State (Ford), and Telular. Praveen taught Operations Management at DePaul University, and Business Innovation at Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago. He has conducted seminars worldwide for over 20 years. Accelper Consulting provides training and consulting services in the area of innovation, Six Sigma and business performance for achieving sustained profitable growth. Praveen can be contacted at [email_address] .