• Cyber terrorism – The use of the Net for
• Cyber crime – The use of the Net for criminal
• Cyber Attacks – Email bombs, viruses, intentional
• Information Warfare – Formalized governmental
• Techno Terrorism – Use of technology by terrorist
An individual that uses
computernetwork technology (i.e.,
networks, computers, Internet) to
cause intense fear; one who uses
computernetwork technology to
control, dominate, or coerce through
the use of terror in furtherance of
political or social objectives.
• Cyber terrorist prefer using the cyber attack
methods because of many advantages for it
• They can hide their personalities and location
• There are no physical barries or check to
• Big targets can be attacked
• The tremendous, nole computer
stimulated crimals and terrorists
to make it their prefered tool for
Forms of CYBER-TERRORISM
• The law of privacy is the
recognition of the
individual's right to be let
alone and to have his
personal space inviolate.
Man has become sensitive
2.Secret information appropriation and data theft:
• Information technology
misuses the data of
A computer network
owned by the
Government may contain
concerning defence and
other top secrets.
3.Distributed denial of Service
• The cyber terrorists may also use
the method of distributed denial
of services (DDOS) to
overburden the Government and
its agencies electronic bases.
This is made possible by first
infecting several unprotected
computers by way of virus
attacks and then taking control of
4.Network Damage and Disruption:
• This activity may divert
the attention of the
security agencies for the
time being thus giving
the terrorists extra time
and makes their task
What would the Impact be?
The intention of a cyber terrorism attack could range from
economic disruption through the interruption of financial
networks and systems or used in support of a physical
attack to cause further confusion and possible delays in
1.Direct Cost Implications.
2.Indirect Cost Implications.
Sample Nuclear Launch
While Under Cyber Attack
• Cyber terrorism can have a serious large-scale
influence on significant number of people.
It can weaken countries' economy greatly, thereby
stripping it of its resources and making it more
vulnerable to military attack.
• Terrorists in Romania gained access to the
computers controlling the life support systems at an
Antarctic research station, endangering the 58
• The official web site of the Presidential Palace of
Afghanistan was affected by a DOS attack that
rendered it inaccessible.
• The internet has provided
a virtual war for countries
having problems with
* As taiwan against
* Israel against Palestine.
What does a terrorist group achieve with a
cyber attack that they can’t with a
How can we protect ourselves?
• All accounts should have passwords and the
passwords should be unusual, difficult to guess
• Change the network configuration when defects
• Audit systems and check logs to help in detecting
and tracing an intruder
• If you are ever unsure about the safety of a site, or
receive suspicious email from an unknown address,
don't access it
• After a close look at some of the facts, I have come
to the these conclusions. Some of my conclusions
point to the fact that Cyberterrorism could be an
actually threat. But the other part is that there is too
much media hype created around the possiblity of a