1. Coasts – Human Activities Aim: To find out why it is so important for humans to protect the coastline.
2. Popular UK Coastal Destinations Task A) Brainstorm the names of ten popular coastal destinations in the UK.
3. Look at the following pictures of popular coastal destinations in the UK. What do you notice?
4. Brighton Groynes Longshore Drift in action
5. Bournemouth <ul><li>Remember this one for later on…. </li></ul>Groynes to Prevent beach loss Click picture for short video on Bournemouth and coastal protection 3.15
6. Blackpool Sea walls built to stop sea advancing
8. Llandudno Concrete groyne Sea wall built to Stop town from flooding
9. How can coasts be managed? <ul><li>There are two reasons why councils spend so much cash on protecting the coastline in certain areas… </li></ul><ul><li>First – To keep the sea out and protect homes and businesses </li></ul><ul><li>Secondly – To keep the beach there to maintain the tourist trade. </li></ul>
10. To keep the sea out ….. Build a sea wall to deflect the power of the waves away from the seafront. However - Lots of maintenance needed and they are expensive to build. The Catch - Councils will only pay for them if there are many people and much property to defend.
11. Picture of sea wall
12. Area not protected and deemed unworthy of saving.
13. To keep the beach there … <ul><li>Groynes and breakwaters are constructed at right angles to the beach </li></ul><ul><li>These trap sediment and stop longshore drift. </li></ul><ul><li>They also protect the beach from powerful storm waves – stopping erosion of beach material and cliffs. </li></ul>
15. Neighbours from hell … (not quite, but equally as annoying) <ul><li>By implementing coastal management methods, you transfer your problem and multiply it for your neighbours further down the coast. </li></ul><ul><li>Task: With the aid of diagrams, explain how building groynes and breakwaters will cause a problem for others. (Read bottom paragraph – p.68 UG) </li></ul>
16. The neighbours from hell - Bournemouth
17. The Victims Barton on Sea – Just down the coast Click on picture for short video about Barton on Sea
18. Case studies <ul><li>Barton on Sea (Page 76 UGG + Page 240 FWW) </li></ul><ul><li>Where is it/what is happening? </li></ul><ul><li>Copy Figure 3 to show protection methods </li></ul><ul><li>How much has been spent? Was it worth it? </li></ul><ul><li>Holbeck Hall Hotel, Scarborough 1993 </li></ul><ul><li>(FWW Page 249 + UGG Page 75) </li></ul><ul><li>Copy the 3 diagrams </li></ul><ul><li>Describe what happened </li></ul>