Go Green
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Go Green

on

  • 277 views

Project For FIT1012

Project For FIT1012

Statistics

Views

Total Views
277
Views on SlideShare
276
Embed Views
1

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
6
Comments
0

1 Embed 1

http://www.slideshare.net 1

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

Go Green Go Green Presentation Transcript

  • Go Green
    with
    Technology
  • What is going green with technology?
    Protecting our environment from the harmful toxins that improperly disposed computers cause
    Reusing and recreating components of a computer to make something else
    Large Companies are considering making more energy efficient machines
    Using technology to save paper and trees hence going paperless
  • PROS
    CONS
    • Proper recycling prevents dangerous carcinogens and toxins from polluting the environment
    • Manufactured parts from computers are used in the construction of other products
    • Some parts of the computer are made of valuable minerals such as copper and gold and can be harvested and reused in other forms
    • Recycling computers will slow the growing amounts of trash in landfills
    • The valuable elements or materials that are reclaimed can produce toxins that will leak back into the environment
    • Companies find it extremely cost effective to sell their used computers to undeveloped countries whom have less strict dumping laws resulting in toxic waste
  • Who is going green?
    Bank of America:
    Reduced paper use by 32% when using online banking and they recycle 30,000 tons of paper annually
    General Electric:
    Sold over $12 billion Ecomagination products
    Du Pont:
    Drastically lowered its emissions of airborne carcinogens and greenhouse gases
    Home Depot:
    After thousands of customer complaints they began their “No old growth sales” policy to ensure customers that their tree harvesting days were over.
    McDonalds:
    Reformed their business practices to become more humane and friendly with the environment
  • Who is going green
    Wal-Mart:
    They would like to power their stores with 100% renewable energy sources.
    Anheuser-Busch:
    Saves 21 million pound of metal by trimming an eighth of an inch off the diameter of their beer cans.
    Dell:
    “No computer should go to waste” recycling program allows customers to bring their computers and have them properly disposed of
    Coca-Cola:They have three environmental goals on which the focus their efforts. They are water stewardship, sustainable packaging, climate & energy protection.
    Starbucks:
    Their coffee cup sleeves save nearly 78,000 trees per you
  • ~Recycling Facts~
    *Between 1950 and 2000, the U.S. population nearly doubled. However, in that same period, public demand for water more than tripled! Americans now use an average of 100 gallons of water each day — enough to fill 1,600 drinking glasses!
    Just over 48% of office paper is recovered for recycling. This becomes raw material for paperboard, tissue, and printing and writing papers
    A refrigerator built 20 years ago uses 70% more energy than today's energy-efficient models.
    About 70% of all metal used just once and is discarded. The remaining 30% is recycled. After 5 cycles, one-fourth of 1% of the metal remains in circulation
    Recycling steel and tin cans saves 74% of the energy used to produce them
    Almost half of the average home's energy consumption is used for heating
  • Dartmouth Aires performing
    “Come Go Green With Me”
  • Don’t be afraid to go green