2. The Players – Who?• Great Britain – Allies with the American colonists (which were British colonies) – Iroquois nation• France – Allies with Huron, Algonquin, and Spain
3. Why did they fight?• Rivalry and conflict between France and Great Britain over ………….
4. Where?• France had forts, settlements, and 100,000 settlers in Canada and along Ohio Valley• French forts meant that English colonists could not move westward
5. Good for the French!!• Had better relations with Native American tribes• New France had a single colonial government• They controlled the interior
6. Good for the British!!• They had more people living in their colonies• Colonists were more attached to the land, they were more permanent settlers• Easier to defend their land, because it was the coast
7. Turning Point• French were winning,….until• William Pitt becomes new British prime minister, he sends more troops and $$$$$, gets the Iroquois on the British side• Montreal falls in 1760, the last major French stronghold in N.America
8. William Pitt
9. So What? Results?• Treaty of Paris – 1763 – British get Canada and all French lands east of Mississippi River; and Florida too!, from Spain – France gives Spain New Orleans and land west of the Mississippi River• Clearly,…the big loser is……• France