PhRMA Report 2013: Medicines in Development: Biologics
by PhRMA - Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America on Mar 13, 2013
- 3,796 views
America’s biopharmaceutical research companies are developing 907 biologics targeting more than 100 diseases. Biologics are developed through biological processes using living cells or organisms. ...
America’s biopharmaceutical research companies are developing 907 biologics targeting more than 100 diseases. Biologics are developed through biological processes using living cells or organisms.
This report lists biologics in human clinical trials or under review by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). A link to the sponsor company’s web site provides more detailed information on the science and technologies behind each potential product. The 907 medicines and vaccines in development include:
• 338 cancer therapeutics that target several different types of solid tumors, leukemia and lymphoma. Monoclonal
antibodies account for 170 of the 338 products in development.
• 176 candidates in development for an array of infectious diseases, including 134 vaccines.
• 71 medicines for autoimmune diseases, such as lupus, multiple sclerosis and rheumatoid arthritis.
• 58 treatments for cardiovascular diseases, such as congestive heart failure and stroke.
• Other diseases include diabetes, digestive disorders, genetic disorders, neurologic and respiratory disorders.
Definitions for selected product categories and diseases can be found on page 86. For information on the history and
future of biologics research, the science behind the medicines, and a discussion of issues critical to continued discovery
and development of these cutting-edge medicines, please see Biologic Medicines in Development 2013—Overview.
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views