1. 8th May 2013How to make yourLinkedIn profile‘Rock’What they don’t teach you about LinkedInbut you really do need to know!
2. and…‘How to make LinkedIn abusiness generation leadmachine!!’
3. You’ve been invited to …• Worlds largest networking event• All your customers and key prospectswill be there to talk, share ideas,collaborate on projects• You have an opportunity to add realvalue to the eventWould you go?And keep going?
4. 5 key reasons why I use LinkedInBusinessdevelopmentopportunitygenerationBecause it’swhere thepeople areDon’t like coldcallingGreat way ofstaying intouch with mynetworkImproves mysearch engineoptimisation
5. LinkedIn FactsMore than 200 millionmembers worldwideUK 11 million membersNew member joinsevery secondExecutives from all topcompanies areLinkedIn members7th Largest country inthe worldCant ignoreit!
6. LinkedIn is a powerful way to…Differentiate yourselfand be found in sea ofcompetitionGenerate an endlesssupply of leads for youand your companyShare value, files andideas with connectionsManage your onlinereputation andhighlight yourstrengthsNoAutopilot!
7. 3 key things to ask yourself…1. How many connections do Ihave?2. How many recommendationsdo I have?3. What is your summarystatement?‘These 3 front page stat’s prettymuch determine your LinkedInprowess and prospect.’Gitomer
8. What do I want to say?1. Who’s your audience?2. What problems/pains doyou solve for your audience?3. How can you convinceme you deliver greatresults/earned the right?The answers above drive your content strategy
9. Your overall objective?Be recognised as a ‘Thought Leader’in your field.Know Like Trust
10. The biggest problem withon-line networking‘I’ve put some time andeffort into it but I’m notgetting much out of it!’2 issues;1. You don’t have a goal or strategy2. Not sure who are the people in bestposition to help me reach that goal
11. Fundamentals of networkingWhat’s your networking attitude?‘Sharing information ina reactive and proactiveway without expectinganything immediately inreturn.’
12. Or to quote the late great Zig Ziglar
13. Building your connections• 1st - Your connections• 2nd - Connections of your connections• 3rd - Connections of the connections of your connections.
14. ‘The real powerof your networkis in the seconddegree’
15. Building a profilethat ‘Rocks’
16. Your Public Profile FundamentalsMake sure your profileis set to full viewOptimising your profileHeadline should be catchyand be key-word rich
17. Your Public Profile FundamentalsMake sure your profileis set to full viewInclude everything youdo, including pastcompaniesGive your profile a customURL (your name)Include the link to your profile on youremail signatureLink to your web site andblog for enhanced SEO3 quality back-linksOptimising your profileHeadline should be catchyand be key-word rich
18. Your Public ProfileLoad yourcurrent andpast workhistory withterms youwant to befound for
19. Your Public ProfileLoad yourcurrent andpast workhistory withterms youwant to befound for
20. Your Public ProfileLoad yourcurrent andpast workhistory withterms youwant to befound for
21. Tips for building your network• Check everyday to see who’s looked at your profilevia the ‘Who’s viewed your profile? and ‘People youmay know’ features.
22. Tips for building your network• Check everyday to see who’s looked at your profilevia the ‘Who’s viewed your profile? and ‘People youmay know’ features.
23. Tips for building your network• Check everyday to see who’s looked at your profilevia the ‘Who’s viewed your profile? and ‘People youmay know’ features.
24. Tips for building your network• Check everyday to see who’s looked at your profilevia the ‘Who’s viewed your profile? and ‘People youmay know’ features.• Browse through and see who you want to connect to• Check which contacts bridge you and the potentialnew connection• You can then send them an invitation to connect ormake contact ‘I see we have a number of connectionsin common…’ or you can see who would be best tomake an introduction for you.• When someone accepts an invitation to connect goto their profile and see who they know
25. See who they knowClick on theirconnections
26. See who they know
27. Invitations to connect• 1st rule of LinkedIn ALWAYS personalise aninvitation to connect. Too many invites comethrough where people haven’t bothered tochange the standard message.• If you don’t personalise the message to me itlooks like you’re just ‘trawling’ for connections• Would you walk up to someone at anetworking event , just give them your card,say call me then walk off?
28. Invitations to connect: The lazy wayThe defaultmessage:Sending this isimpersonal, itmakes it look likeyou are trawling forconnections
29. Invitations to connect: The right wayA personalisedmessage:Makes the recipientfeel like you valuethem
30. Invitations to connect: how to deal with them• Should I accept every invitation and how do Idecide?In thinking about accepting ask yourself - doesthe addition of this connection strengthen andadd value to my network? If yes, then accept. Ifno, then reject them politely.• How do I reject the invites I don’t want toconnect with?Its ok to say no and is more polite than simplyignoring them!
31. Invitations to connect cont…Hi John,I usually only accept invitations to connectfrom people I have already done business withor by introductions and recommendationsfrom others in my network. However I lookforward to reading your Tweets and getting toknow you better that way.Kindest regards
32. Cultivating your networkStatus Updates
33. Status Updates
34. Cultivating your network• Aim to update every day/a few times aweek• Comment on other member connectionsstatus updates• Stay business focused• Be useful/create valueStatus Updates
35. Status updates: Home link…To seespecificupdates• Connections• Profiles• Groups• Companies• etc
36. Recommendations• Accessed via a direct link on your profile andunder each of your previous roles or and in aseparate recommendations section• Essential as they establish your credibility;who else says so besides you?• Great evidence of the value you create• Excellent for improving SEO
39. Recommendations cont…Here’s some done for meKeep them currentAim for aminimum of 10Don’t be afraid toaskWhat’s the best wayto get arecommendation?
40. The best way to get recommendations?• Work hard to earn them! Deliver Value. Onlyask if you think you have earned one.• People will ask them from you. The best testhere is would you give them a referenceoffline for a job? Or for a tender?• If someone does recommend you, you canreciprocate, but wait until the next day or so.• Don’t be afraid to turn down a request, but doit kindly.
49. Thought provoking questions12 days152 comments!
50. Thought provoking questions4 days32 comments
51. Profile statistics/who’s viewed14to75!
52. Be provoking!
53. Groups: start your own
54. New Business Development Tools
55. Advanced Search
56. Advanced SearchOne of the most exciting aspects on LinkedInAllows you search LinkedIn for anyone onmany criteriaWhat’s your definition of a high-quality lead?• Who are the Key Decision Makers and buyers inthe companies you sell to?• What’s their job title?• What’s their seniority level?• How big is the company?• Are they in specific industries?
57. Advanced Search ctd…
58. Click on see all
59. Advanced Search ctd…InternalreferralsfromcurrentclientMap the key contacts
60. Advanced Search ctd…Make a list of top 50 companyprospects then check themout in company searchsection!
61. Company Search
62. Company SearchThe power is inthe 2nd degreeconnections
63. Company SearchA greatlink/way in
64. Advanced Search ctd…Looking for Senior HRprofessionals in the region
75. LinkedIn MediaAdd slidesharecontent to yourprofile
76. LinkedIn Media
77. LinkedIn MediaWrite down titles of 5 thingsthat you could write about thatdemonstrates your personallevel of knowledge or expertiseand adds value to…Clients or potential clients
78. LinkedIn ProjectsUse the ‘Projects’section to promoteevents, white papers,free downloads or toshowcase productsyou are currentlypromotingClick the link
79. LinkedIn Projects
80. LinkedIn ProjectsUse the ‘Projects’section to promoteevents, white papers,free downloads or toshowcase productsyou are currentlypromotingClick the link
81. LinkedIn Projects
82. LinkedIn Projects
83. LinkedIn PublicationsClick link
84. LinkedIn Publications
86. Company Page
87. Company Page
88. Company PageRecommendationsVideo
90. Example 2
91. So in summary…You now knowwhat it takes tomake yourLinkedIn profileand presenceROCK!The imperatives are…
92. The 15 imperatives of LinkedIn• Build a complete profile• Update and engage frequently withyour connections• Recommend others• Solve other peoples problems• Join and participate in groups
93. The 15 imperatives of LinkedIn• Start your own group• Search companies and harvest newleads• Respond to everyone whocommunicates with you• Set up the slide-share, youtube, projectand publication functions to add value• Change your status regularly
94. The 15 imperatives of LinkedIn• Put video on your profile• Promote your blog• Add the projects and publicationsapplication to showcase your work• Integrate twitter• Leverage LinkedIns search power
95. @LinkedIn.com/in/michaelbarkerpdg@Twitter.com/pdgtips@pdgclips@ PDG-Performance-Development-GroupContact me atPerformance Development Groupwww.performancedg.com0113 firstname.lastname@example.org