2. Add -edFor most regular verbs, you need to do is add –ed. Look at the following examples.• Jump• Kick• Want
3. Verbs that end in -eThere are some verbs that already end with an e. For these verbs, just add –d.• Believe• Achieve
4. Verbs that end with consonant -yA few verbs end with –y. For these verbs, you drop the –y and add –ied.• Cry• Try
5. Vowel -yFor verbs that end with a vowel –y, you use the basic –ed rule.• Play• Stay
6. Conjugations…In English, there are no conjugations in the past tense.I passedYou passedHe/She/It passedWe passedThey passed
7. Use – Completed Action in the PastUse the Simple Past to express the idea that an action started and finished at a specific time in the past. I saw a movie yesterday. I didnt see a movie yesterday. Last year, I traveled to Japan.
8. Irregular VerbsUnfortunately, there are many, many irregular verbs in English. You must memorize these. Use your irregular verb sheet.
9. Questions - Past TenseMaking questions in the simple past tense is very simple. You change “do” to “did.” Look at the example below.He ate a lot of tamales.Did he eat a lot of tamales?
10. Passive Voice Past Tense of to be + past participle• I studied. – I was studied.• I saw – I was seen.
11. Assignment• Write 2 sentences using regular verbs in the simple past.• Write 3 sentences using irregular verbs in the simple past.• Change these 5 sentences into questions.