1. The year 2011 is declared as “TheInternational Year of Forests” by theUnited Nations to raise awareness andstrengthen the sustainablemanagement , conservation andsustainable development of all typesof forests for the benefit of currentand future generations.
2. The uses of forests include: Wood: Used as fuel wood for cooking and heating Raw Materials: used for various industries such as pulp, paper, plywood, timber for furniture items etc. Bamboos : Bamboos, regarded poor man’s timber are used in rafters, roofing, flooring etc.
3. Land degradation in arid, semi- arid and sub- humid areas resulting from various factors including climatic variations and human activities.
4. Causes of deforestation are: Broad issues of poverty Population explosion Unequal political power Lack of opportunities to make a living Landlessness Inadequate knowledge
5. Following are the major causes of deforestation : Shifting(Jhum)Cultivation involves the slash and burn agricultural practices. The principal cause of deforestation in Africa Commercial logging involves cutting trees for sale as timber and pulp.
6. The following are the adverse effects of deforestation: Leads to Soil Erosion Land mass gets converted to sand deserts known as Desertification. Rainfall declines considerably. Less rainfall results in loss of fertile land. Causes loss of biodiversity leading to ecological balance worldwide. Leads to increase in CO2 concentration in environment and also other air pollutants leading to Global warming.