VAN GOGH & SEURAT
. Talking about painting, observing sunflowers, colours, shapes, size, naming plant parts.
.Making a sketch, direct observation sunflowers. A4 paper
. HW: Finding out who Van Gogh was.
. Making oil pastel picture A3.
2. PPT. Van Gogh. Talking about the artist and the paintings.
Work on Van Gogh facts, classify them.
3. Starter: What’s different?
Painting like Van Gogh. Select the part you best like from the choosen painting, use the card frames to
do so and paint the selected part. A4 painting paper.
HW: Look for information about Seurat.
4.Starter: Van Gogh song
Talk about Seurat
Comparing Van Gogh and Seurat activity. Flashcards, classify them. Fill in grid.
Painting in the style of … . Paint each square in pointillism & impasto style.
5. Final work.
Starters: Song, hangman, ordering sentences,….
Create a high quality drawing from real observation during the weekend of a seascape ( Sitges) .
In class, make your painting following your drawing on a A3 painting paper. Half of the painting will
be executed in the pointilism style and the other half in impasto style.
6. Exhibition of the students works. Display on walls.
Vincent Van Gogh “Sunflowers”
• What art material (media) has the artist
• What can you see in this painting?
• Describe the colours you can see.
• Are all the colours similar?
• What type of colours has the artist
• Describe the detail you can see?
• How do you think the artist painted this
painting, slowly or quickly?
• What size do you think the painting is?
• Do you think this was painted from
imagination, memory or from real life?
• Why do you think Van Gogh choose to
(Cheap to buy, easy to get hold of,
detailed object to paint)
• Van Gogh was born in Holland, in 1852.
• He painted very fast.
• In 1886 he went to live to Paris.
• He was self taught.
• He was a passionate and emotional artist.
• He met his friend Gauguin in Arles.
• He committed suicide.
• His brother Theo was his best friend.
• In Paris he become familiar with the New Art movements.
• He painted more than 7oo canvas and 1600 drawings in 10 years.
• He was a Dutch Post-Impressionist painter.
• He was 37 years old when he died in 1890.
• He used to paint outside, from direct observation and real life objects.
• In 1888 he moved to the South of France.
• He used the Impasto style applying thick paint, visible brush marks and a wide
range of colours.