CARNIVAL IN SPAIN:
In Spain the carnival season takes place in late February or early March,
usually during the week leading up to lent. Each region of Spain organizes
carnivals and festivities , according to their traditions.
Throughout the world , there are famous carnivals , like the carnival of Rio de
Janeiro. In Spain there are three carnivals quite important :carnival of Santa Cruz
de Tenerife , the carnival of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria and carnival of Cádiz.
So much so , that these three are declared a Festivity of International Tourist
Another fact to point out is the gastronomy of this date, it is very typical to eat
'Orejas de Carnaval', a dessert very eaten among Spanish people and exclusive
of this dates. They are made by eggs , milk or hot water , butter , flour ,anise and
usually sugar sprinkled above them.
'Orejas de Carnaval'
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Santa Cruz de Tenerife
CARNIVAL OF SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE.
• Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival has more than 100 groups with and
average of 50 components each one between 'murgas'(making fun of
singing groups today) , 'comparsas'(band acompanying carnival sets) ,
costume groups , 'rondallas'(male or mixed choir accompanied with
• The Wednesday before the carnival weekend , is chosen the Queen of
the Carnival. She is chosen during a gala in which some women
parade and they show to a jury their original disguises. She represents
the island of Tenerife in his carnival.
• On Friday takes place the opening paradewhomarks the beginning of the
• Carnival Saturday : it's a day devoted entirely to dancing.
• Carnival Monday: It is the great day of the feast, with stellar performances on
the stages installed in the capital.
• Tuesday , "El Gran Coso Apoteosis": on Tuesday takes place on Gran Coso
Apotheosis, a ride that runs along the "Avenida de Anaga" and marks the end of
Carnival officially .
• Ash Wednesday: On this day is celebrated 'The Burial of the Sardine', a
ceremony who marks the end of the carnival. The burial consist in one parade
in which parodies a funeral procession and concludes with burning of a
symbolic figure, usually a sardine.
• Saturday and Sunday Piñata: Weekend putting an end to Don Carnal until next
year and whose role, especially on Saturday, has grown in recent decades to the
point of having some performances internationally renowned almost level on
CARNIVAL OF LAS PALMAS DE GRAN
• The Carnival of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is one of the oldest festivals, with more history
and character, who is held in this city.
• It consists of two main celebrations, the election of the Queen and the choice of "Drag
queen"(a man dressed in woman)of the carnival
CARNIVAL OF CÁDIZ.
• This carnival is one of the most famous carnivals in Spain.
• Cádiz is the carnival of the 'comparsas', the choirs and the 'chirigotas.
• Points out the parade of Piñata Sunday, in which the happiness take
possession of children and older.
• In a little city near León , is celebrated one of the most outstanding
carnival parties, that's called 'La Noche Bruja' (the witch night). This little
city is La Bañeza, and this is celebrated on Monday carnival (at night of
course). The night begins with the midnight chimes , and after , lots of
people from all places of Leon takes the streets (obviously disguised ) and
they try to enjoy this night with their friends.