1. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
JENIS - JENIS PERTANYAAN SOAL
1) The text mainly tells about … .
2) What is the text about?
3) The text is about … .
4) What is the announcement about?
5) The text discusses about … .
6) What does the story tell us about?
7) What does the text tell you about?
8) What does the text describe about?
9) This text as a whole reports about … .
10) The text describes about … .
11) What does the text inform about?
12) What does the text mainly talk about?
Menanyakan inti /topilk seluruh
1) Baca kalimat pertama setiap
2) Baca kalimat terakhir dari
4) Sesuaikan dengan pilihan
5) Jika ada judul maka
jawabannya adalah judul
6) Jika tidak ada judul
jawabannya kata yang paling
banyak muncul di dalam teks,
1) Paragraph 5 tells us about … .
2) What is the main idea of paragraph 3?
3) What is the main idea of the last
4) The first paragraph discusses … .
5) What is mainly discussed in paragraph 2?
Menanyakan inti /topilk /pikiran
utama sebuah paragraf dalam
sebuah teks. Untuk bacaan yg
cukup panjang, cari kata yang
paling banyak muncul, itulah
jawabannya. Inti / topilk / pikiran
utama sering tertulis di awal
sebuah paragraf, itulah
1) The text aims to … .
2) The aim of the text is…
3) What is the objective of the text?
4) What is the purpose of the text?
5) The author‘s purpose of writing the text is
6) What is the writer purpose of writing the
7) The communicative purpose of this text is
8) The text is written in order to …..
9) What is the social function of writing the
Menanyakan tujuan teks. Setiap
teks mempunyai tujuan masing-
masing. (Lihat tabel Tujuan
Komunnikatif Teks di halaman 3)
What ... for? How many?
Which? How much?
Who? What time?
Whom? How long?
Whose? How old?
Where? How far?
When? How often?
Why? How many times?
Pahami arti kata tanya yang
digunakan dalam pertanyaan.
Perhatikan kata kunci kata/kalimat
dalam pertanyaan, lalu Carilah
kata kunci /kalimat itu pada teks,
jawabannya terdapat di bagian
sebelum atau sesudah kata kunci
1) Which information is TRUE according to
2) Which is TRUE about Donald according
to the text?
3) Which statement is NOT TRUE based on
the text above?
4) The following are the requirements asked
EXCEPT … .
Informasi rinci tersurat merupakan
data atau informasi yang secara
eksplisit/tersurat dinyatakan pada
teks. Menentukan informasi rinci
tersurat mengharuskan siswa
menggunakan keterampilan men-
scan informasi faktual. Kemudian
menghubungkan informasi yang
satu dengan yang lain untuk
ditafsirkan. Cek setiap pilihan
jawaban satu per satu ke dalam
teks untuk mendapatkan informasi
yang tepat. Perlu ketelitian dan
cukup memakan waktu!!!
2. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
1) From the story we can conclude that … .
2) The story infers ... .
3) From the text, we can draw a conclusion
4) What is the moral of the story?
5) What is the moral value of the story?
6) What lesson did you get from the story?
7) What can you learn from the text?
Yang tergolong pertanyaan
informasi tersirat adalah:
1. mencari simpulan wacana
2. menentukan nilai moral
3. menentukan tujuan teks
Info tersirat artinya informasi
yang tersemunyi/implisit yang ada
di dalam teks. Untuk mendapatkan
jawaban yang tepat perlu
pemahaman yang mendalam
mengenaai isi teks.
Untuk teks narrative ditanyakan
pesan moral (no. 4,5,6,7, di kolom
sebelah kiri) TIP: pilih pernyataan
yang bagus-bagus, normatif, dan
1) The synonym of the word ― ….‖ is … .
2) What does the phrase ―-----‖ mean?
3) What does the ….. mean?
4) The underlined word means ….
5) The underlined word has the same
6) The underlined word has similar meaning
7) The underlined word is synonymous with
8) The underlined word is close in meaning
9) The underlined word can be replaced by
the word … .
Menentukan makna kata yaitu
mencari persamaan kata tertentu
yang diminta. Yang diperlukan
adalah perbendaharaan kata.
Semakin sering siswa membaca,
semakin banyak perbendaharran
1) The underlined word refers to ….
2) What does the underlined word refer to?
3) There are four competitions held in the
PORSENI WEEK. They are: ... .
What does the word ‗they‘ refer to?
Perlu penguasaan kata ganti
orang/benda; he, his, him, she,
her, it, its, they, them, their, dll.
Tip: temukan jawaban dengan
membaca kalimat di depan kata
ganti yang ditanyakan dalam
sebuah paragraf. Jawabannya:
Subject atau Object pada kalimat
yang tepat untuk
1) choose the best answer!
2) Fill in the blanks with the correct answer!
Yang diperlukan adalah
Semakin sering siswa membaca,
semakin banyak perbendaharran
yang tepat untuk
Arrange the words into a good order!
Perlu penguasaan struktur kalimat
untuk menjawab soal ini.
yang tepat untuk
Arrange the sentences into a good paragraph!
awali sebuah paragraf dengan ide
yang umum/general, kalimat
pertama akan dijelaskan pada
kalimat ke dua, dst. Awali kalimat
kalian dengan nama orang / benda
/ binatang, janganlah mengawali
kalimat dengan kata ganti
orang/benda/binatang seperti, he,
she, we, they.
3. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
MENENTUKAN TUJUAN KOMUNIKATIF TEKS
Genres Aim /goal /objective / purpose /social function
Procedure To explain/To tell how to make/do something
To describe a particular
report To describe something in general
To retell what happened in the past
narrative To entertain/to amuse readers/listeners
1) shopping list To remind what to buy
2) Notice/Caution/warning To remind/to warn
3) Greeting card To greet/to congratulate
4) Short message To inform
5) Letter To inform
6) label To inform
7) Schedule / time - table To inform
8) Invitation To invite
9) Announcement To announce/to inform
10) Advertisement To advertise/to persuade/to inform
TABLE OF PRONOUNS
Category Subject Object Possesseive
First person-singular I Me My ... Mine Myself
First person-plural We Us Our ... Ours Ourselves
You You Your ... Yours Yourselves
Third person- singular He Him His ... His Himself
She Her Her ... Hers Herself
Singular for a thing/an animal It It Its... - Itself
Third person-plural They Them Their ... Theirs themselves
Kata ganti (Pronouns) adalah kata yang menggantikan kata benda/orang/binatang tertentu yang bisa
menduduki posisi subject/object pada bagian sebuah kalimat.
Examples in use
1. Hani She 1) She has long black hair.
S Verb1/P O2. Helmi He
3. A cat It 2) He is in my class.
S be adverb of place4. An umbrella It
5. Heni and Inneke They 3) It was interesting.
S be adjective6. Helmi and Ero They
7. A cat and dog They 4) They arrived at 7 p.m yesterday
S Verb2/P adverb of time8. Two umbrellas They
9. You and I We 5) He played the trumpet for the class.
S Verb2/P O1 O210. Heni and I We
Example: Louis rode the skateboard. He rode the skateboard
1) Mary and Paul are going to visit friends. ----
2) The turtles were glad to see Aaron. ----
3) Lucy drove the tractor on the farm. ----
4) The soup was delicious! ----
5) Mr. Wheat played the trumpet for the class. ----
6) The presentation was very interesting. ----
7) Brian rode the horse. ----
8) Timmy and I baked a cake for our father. ----
9) Mark went skiing with Barry. ----
10) Mark and Joe did well on the science project. ----
4. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
1) Anne : Do you know Andy?
John : Sure, he's in my class, I study with him. Why?
Anne : Oh, nothing. I want him to help me, that's all.
John : I have his phone number. Call him!
Anne : Ok, thanks!
2) Kate : Hey Tyler, do you like lemons?
Tyler : Yea, I really like them.
Kate : And do you like rice?
Tyler : Sure, I like it.
Kate : And how about chicken?
Tyler : Yep, I like that too. Why do you ask me?
Kate : I want to make lemon chicken for dinner.
Tyler : Sounds great!
3) Bill : What's that?
Susan : Oh, it's a photo of my family. Look, she's my Mum.
Bill : Oh yea, I know her. Who's he?
Susan : He's my brother, everybody likes him. Look, that's my father.
Bill : Wow, he looks like you. And look at the big dog!
Susan : Yea, he's really big. He looks like you!
Exercises 1: Change the sentences using Object Pronouns. Example;
I like the teacher. - I like him.
1. She calls Mary. She calls __________
2. You eat breakfast with David. You eat breakfast with __________.
3. We don't like fast food. We don't like __________.
4. I miss my family. I miss __________.
5. He wants the book. He wants __________?
6. Max likes David and me. Max likes __________.
7. We give present to Mum at Christmas. We give presents to __________.
8. I want to see the movie. I want to see __________.
9. We love to meet Peter and Julie. We love to meet __________.
10. I want to talk to Paul. I want to talk to __________.
Exercises 2: Change the sentences using Object Pronouns. Example;
I like music. - I like it.
1. I believe Sam. I believe __________.
2. We study English. We study __________in the morning.
3. The teacher teaches the students. He teaches __________Math.
4. Carla calls David and I. She calls __________.
5. She is my favorite singer. I really like __________.
6. I like to talk to Tyler. I like to talk to __________.
7. They like sports. They play __________every day.
8. The bookstore is next to the bank. The bookstore is next to __________.
9. Wow! I really like this scarf. I want to buy __________.
10. Dad wants to talk to you and Jenny. He wants to talk to __________.
5. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Possessive pronouns show ownership – something that belongs to someone or something else. Example:
The ball belongs to me.
The ball is mine.
Exercises 3 : Complete each sentence using the correct modifying possessive pronoun.
1. The pencil belongs to the girl. It is __________.
2. This is my pen. This pen is __________.
3. I ride a bike to school. The bike is __________.
4. The lady wore a beautiful dress. The beautiful dress was __________.
5. The children played with the computer. It was __________.
6. You can choose any food to eat. The choice is __________.
7. My friends love reading. It is a favorite pastime of __________.
8. My sister and I walk the dog because it is __________.
9. Her coat is prettier than mine. Her coat is blue; __________ is brown.
10. Be more careful with John‘s toys, because __________ are breakable.
POSSESSIVE NOUN FORMS
Exercises 4 : Complete the following sentences with the possessive noun form of the noun in brackets.
example: This is (Tim) cat. This is Tim’s cat.
1. Do you know (Brian) parents? ______
2. Let‘s go to (the Smiths) house! ______
3. Have you seen (Tina) new car? ______
4. Bianca is (Donald) daughter. ______
5. The door (the house) was locked. ______
6. Have you got (Charles) telephone number? ______
7. (Carla) watch is very valuable. ______
8. I cannot remember the title (the movie). ______
9. (the twins) bikes were stolen. ______
10. (the hairdresser) (shop) is not far from here. ______
Exercises 4 : Complete the sentences. Use my, your, his, her, our, or their.
Exanple: I have a pen. My pen is blue.
1. Kate has a pen. _______ pen is green.
2. Sara and you have pens. _______ pens are red.
3. I have a sister. _______ sister is 21 years old.
4. You have a pen. _______ pen is a ballpoint.
5. Jim and you have mustaches. _______ mustaches are dark.
6. Ann and Alex have a baby. _______ baby is 8 months old.
7. Alice and I have notebooks. _______ notebooks are green.
8. Ann has a brother. _______ brother is in high school.
9. Ken has a brother. _______ coat is brown.
10. Mike has a car. _______ car is blue.
6. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Exercie 5: Complete the sentences. Use has or have. Use my, your, his, her, our, or their.
Exanple: I have a book. My book is interesting.
Yessy has a book. Her book is thick.
1. Bob _______ a bag. _______ bag is green.
2. You _______ a raincoat. _______ raincoat is brown.
3. Kate _______ a raincoat. _______ raincoat is red.
4. Ann and Jim are married. They _______ baby is 6 months old.
5. Ken and Sue _______ a daughter. _______ daughter is 10 years old.
6. John and I _______ a son. _______ son is 7 years old.
7. I _______ a brother. _______ brother is 16 years old.
8. We _______ grammar books. _______grammar books are red.
9. Tom and you _______ bags. _______ bags are green.
10. Ann _______a dictionary. _______dictionary is red
1. everyone/everybody No one/nobody
2. Someone/somebody Anyone/anybody(-/?)
3. Everthing nothing
4. Something Anything (-/?)
5. Everywhere Nowhere
6. Somewhere Anywhere(-/?)
7. All -
8. Some Any (-/?)
9. Many None
10. Much None
11. several -
12. Few -
13. Both -
14. Either Neither
1. All are welcome to come to the birthday party tonight.
2. Lizzie gave that book to someone and never got it back.
3. Anyone can play the game as long as they follow the rules.
4. Does anybody have a clue where the cat went?
5. Everyone knows it is impolite to point at someone.
6. Everything will be Okey.
7. At the Thanksgiving dinner, each brought a plated dish to make the meal complete.
8. Although it could have happened to anyone, it happened to me.
9. Some will do anything to gain the attention of others.
10. Many called for information about the missing person.
11. Very few came to visit the beach, because it is dirty now.
7. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
12. I looked and looked everywhere but couldn't find it
13. Marie told nobody the secrets that went on at her house.
14. During my trip to the mall, I did not see anyone I knew.
15. I knocked on the door, but there was not anybody there.
16. Does anybody know a good place where I can go to get my hair done?
17. Can anyone tell me why it is raining again?
18. No one likes to live in the North Pole.
19. When I looked around the house, I did not see anything out of the ordinary.
20. He is nowhere in the school. Where can he be ?
21. I can't see my pencil anywhere, it must be in my satchel.
Exercie 6: Put the following indefinite pronouns into the correct blanks.
anywhere anyone (2x) something everyone nothing
somewhere someone (2x) anything everything
1. Can't you hear that____________is knocking on the door?
2. I was wondering if you would like________________to drink.
3. The family members have been badly injured in the accident. Is there __________to help them?
4. Carol has just checked the internet; however, she couldn't find the article________________.
5. Unfortunately, this plant is already dead and there is ________________ we can do about it.
6. Stop feeling sorry for your relationship! You should simply accept _________has a beginning
and an end.
7. _________must do __________ about the human rights in that country or it will be too late.
8. The boss is writing an important report. Therefore, he has to work ________________ quiet.
9. There is an exam tomorrow. Needless to say, ________________has to study for it.
10. My boyfriend broke my heart by lying to me. I don't think I can trust________________
8. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
I. SHOPPING LIST (daftar belanja), contoh:
4 loaves of bread
3 kilos of beans
1 kilo of apples
2 kilos of sugar
1 kilo of carrots
1 kilo of oranges
1 can of soft
A can of jam
1. How many kinds of vegetables are
there in the text?
2. The purpose of text above is to remind the customer of what to ... .
3. Nasha always makes a list before she buys everything she needs. Here is the list:
a pack of books
a half dozen of pencils
three correction pens
a pencil case
To buy the things she needs, Nasha has to go to ... .
1 ounce garlic
1 ounce onion
1 kg chicken
¼ kg carrot
¼ kg tomato
1 pack salt
4. From the text above we know that the writer probably wants to
A. fruit salad
B. chicken soup
C. black forest
D. chicken curry
A big tart
2 pads of biscuits
5 m ribbon
40 paper trumpets
40 paper hats
5. How many tarts does the writer want to buy ?
6. What do you think the writer will have ?
A. An English club meeting.
B. A formal meeting.
C. A comference.
D. A party.
"Every successful person must have a failure. Do not be afraid to fail
because failure is a part of success."
Setiap orang sukses pasti mempunyai kegagalan. Jangan takut gagal karena kegagalan adalah
bagian dari kesuksesan.
9. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
1) Notice itu sendiri,
2) Caution (peringatan)
3) Warning (larangan)
1) NOTICE diartikan sebagai ‗Public sign‘ (tanda di tempat umum yang memberikan informasi,
instruksi atau peringatan). Contoh:
LAVATORY IS OCCUPIED (=kamar kecil sedang dipakai)
WATCH FOR PEDESTRIANS (Awas pejalan kaki)
PLEASE CLOSE THE DOOR BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE ROOM. ( = tutuplah pintu
sebelum anda meninggalkan ruangan)
2) CAUTION (peringatan) : dibuat dengan tujuan memberikan peringatan pada orang agar
berhati-hati dengan sesuatu. Contohnya:
CAUTION! BROKEN ROAD (perhatian! Jalan rusak)
DON’T TOUCH THE CAT. IT MAY CAUSE DISEASE (= jangan sentuh kucing ini.
Kucing ini bisa menyebabkan penyakit)
3) WARNING (larangan)
HAZARDOUS!!! KEEP AWAY FROM THE REACH OF CHILDREN UNDER 3
YEARS OLD. (berbahaya!!! Jauhkan dari jangkauan anak-anak di bawah umur 3 tahun)
CONTOH – CONTOH SOAL NOTICE, CAUTION and WARNING:
1. What does the caution mean?
A. Children are playing games around the place.
B. Children are not allowed to play around the area.
C. It is the place for children to play around here.
D. You have to be careful because children are playing there.
2. The notice means that….
A. the parking lot is only meant for visitors
B. only people having permission can park their cars at the
C. the visitors are permitted to leave their vehicle at the parking
D. people must take the parking tickets before entering the
3. ARTICLES CONSIDERED SOLD IF YOU BROKE THEM
What does the caution mean?
A. The shop sells special broken articles.
B. You don't have to buy articles that are broken.
C. In this section you will only find broken articles.
D. If you break any of the articles, you must pay for it.
4. This sign means that the cars…
A. must stop when a train is crossing the road in front of them.
B. may not pass this road because it‘s dangerous.
C. should take the right turn.
D. must cross the road.
5. This Caution means there is something that …
A. has some handle
B. is easily broken
C. is to be cared
D. is portable
10. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
6. KEEP CAP ON AND TIGHT WHEN NOT IN USE
This sign informs the user of this product ….
A. to cover the tip precisely
B. to open the cover tightly
C. always to keep the cap
D. not to use it
7. What does the sign mean?
A. The road is for pedestrians.
B. People may not walk through the road.
C. The pedestrians may go through the road.
D. People are allowed to walk through the road.
8. What does the sign mean?
A. Any vehicles may not enter the road
B. The road is closed for any vehicles
C. The road is under construction
D. No vehicles may enter the road
9. What does the sign mean?
A. The road is for bicycle and motorcycles
B. The bicycle and motorcycles must go through the road
C. The bicycle and motorcycles should not go through the road
D. The bicycle and motorcycles are not allowed to go through the road.
10. What does the sign mean?
A. People may smoke in the area
B. People should smoke in the area
C. People must not smoke in the area
D. People are allowed to smoke in the area.
11. Where do you usually find the sign above?
A. At a railway station
B. At a station wagon
C. At a petrol station
D. At a bus station
12. Where can you see the notice above?
A. In a supermarket
B. In a restaurant
C. In an airport
D. In a bank
13. What is the caution about?
A. The danger of volcanic fumes
B. The volcanoes and their effect
C. The pregnant visitors of the mountain.
D. The women and their children‘s health.
14. Visitors with breathing problems are not allowed to visit
the area because …
A. the fumes can make them difficult to breathe
B. the fumes can enter the human‘s lung
C. certain people cannot breathe well
D. it is very tiring to climb the volcano
15. Where do you usually find such a caution above?
A. At all public places with non domestic visitors
B. On all the mountains with few visitors
C. At the volcanoes for tourist resorts
D. Any places visited by tourists.
11. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
16. ―…. are hazardous to your health ... .‖
What does the underlined word in the sentence mean?
CAUTION!! ANY KIND OF THEFTS IS CONSIDERED AS A CRIME AND WILL BE
REPORTED TO THE POLICE
Matahari Dept. Store
17. What does the caution mean?
A. You dont have to pay anything in the store
B. The police will not arrest the thief in the store.
C. The store manager will send you to the police.
D. You must pay anything you take from the store.
18. Where do you usually find the sign?
A. at a railway station
B. at a bus station
C. at a station wagon
D. at a petrol station
19. Where will you mostly find the text?
A. at an airport
B. at a gas station
C. at a bus station
D. at a railway station
20. You find the notice at the gate of housing complex.
It means that only ... who own the house at the housing complex can go
A. security guard
21. The notice means... .
A. All security staffs must give a report to the receptionist before
entering the office.
B. All guests must give a security report to the receptionist before
entering the office.
C. All security staff must bring visitors to the receptionist for a report.
D. All guests must meet the receptionist and leave their Identity Card
before entering the office.
22. The notice above means we are ... to consume the water.
23. It is forbidden to drink the water because it is...
24. What does the warning mean?
A. We must stay away from the place.
B. High voltage can be dangerous
C. High voltage is in danger.
D. The voltage is high
12. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
25. From the text we know that ... .
A. We should mop the floor
B. We must trespass the floor
C. We might slip if we step on it
D. We may not make the floor wet
26. Where can we find such a notice?
A. At the zoo
B. At the park
C. At the beach
D. At the mountain
27. We usually find this notice in a ....
A. medicine leaflet
B. health article
28. What does this notice mean?
A. anybody must not approach or make use of it
B. anybody can approach and make use of it
C. it is intended for public
D. it must be put outside
29. What does the caution mean?
A. The liquid is yellow.
B. The liquid is colourful.
C. The liquid is made of fire.
D. The liquid is easy to set on fire
III. SHORT MESSAGE (Pesan Singkat) bentuknya berupa SMS atau catatan singkat. Fungsinya untuk
memberitahukan sesuatu (seperti kalian mengirim SMS pada teman kalian). Contoh:
To : Santi
I've just got the news that our grandmother passed away two hours ago. We are going to leave for
Purworejo soon to attend the funeral. Please be here before 6 p.m.
1. What does Tati tell Santi?
A. Leaving for Purworejo
B. The plan to do it before 7 p.m
C. The ceremony for the dead person
D. The plan to have a burial ceremony
From : +6281010000
Just to inform you that the meeting will be canceled for tomorrow, Mon, 23rd
May 2013 at 10 a.m.
as the principal will arrive late from Semarang.
2. The short message is written to... .
A. tell what happened in the meeting.
B. inform the cancellation of meeting.
C. say that the principal won't come to the meeting.
D. inform that the sender has just arrived from Singapore
13. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
Ufa, sorry, I can make it to the drama practice this afternoon. I’ve got to see my grandma. She’s very ill.
Sorry for the short notice.
3. ―Sorry for the short notice‖.
What does this sentence mean?
A. Ufa apologizes because she cannot attend the drama practice.
B. Lely apologizes because she cannot attend the drama practice.
C. Ufa apologizes for informing her absence just before the drama practice.
D. Lely feels great for informing her absence just before the drama practice.
Adi, tell Daddy to buy a new dress for me! Two days later there will be a birthday party. And I have got
an invitation letter from my classmate. I want to wear it in the party.
4. Who sent the message to Adi?
A. Adi's brother.
B. Adi's mother.
C. Adi's father.
D. Adi's sister.
5. How many dresses will Adi's father buy?
Hi, this is Surya. I’m sorry I cannot take your call right now. Please leave a detailed message along with
your name and telephone number. I will return your call as soon as I return. Thank you.
6. Which of the following statement is NOT TRUE?
A. Surya is out so he cannot take calls.
B. Surya asks the callers to call him back later
C. Surya promises to call when he‘s home
D. The text above is a recorded message
I am sorry I have to tell you that I can’t come to your house to work on our project as we have planned
before. Unexpected thing happens. My grandma must be hospitalized soon. I’ll tell you about our plan
7. From the message above we know that …
A. Dinda and Mira have to work together on their project
B. Dinda and her grandma will meet Mira at the hospital
C. Dinda expects Mira to stay in the hospital with her
D. Dinda‘s grandma involves in the project
8. The message is written to ... .
A. To tell about her sick grandma.
B. To ask Mira to work on their project.
C. To persuade Mira to change the project
D. To give information about the delay of an activity.
I have to see Grandma. Buy these things to Indri’s store for the next breakfast: a bottle of milk, a pack
of bread, a kilogram of eggs, four packs of instant noodles.
9. Who wrote the note?
C. Sandra‘s mother
D. Sandra‘s grandma
10. Where did Sandra have to go ?
A. To the butcher
B. To the florist
C. To the grocery
D. To the dispensary
14. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
IV. GREETING CARD (Kartu ucapan) : berfungsi untuk mengucapkan selamat kepada seseorang.
a) Birthday Card:
a. The more the candles, the bigger the wish.
b. Wishing you all the best for your Birthday.
c. May all your dreams and wishes come true!
d. Wishing you everything happy for your birthday.
e. Wishing you all the fun and excitement that only birthdays can bring.
b) Anniversary Card:
a. Wishing you the best on your anniversary.
b. Every year with you is sweeter than the last.
c. Happy Anniversary, to my partner and my best friend.
d. My love for you grows and grows with each passing year.
e. After all the years, you're still my best friend. Happy Anniversary.
c) Congratulations /Good Luck – Card:
a. All right, you did it! Congratulations!
b. Congratulations on a great accomplishment!
c. A new house is an exciting change. Congratulations.
d. Congratulations, you deserve all the best... way to go!
e. May your joining together bring you more joy than you can imagine.
d) Get Well (Sympathy) Card:
a. Hoping you feel better.
b. Hope you're back on your feet soon.
c. We hope you feel better because we miss you so much.
d. Just a wish to say hello and hope you are feeling better.
e. Thinking of you and hoping you have a speedy recovery.
e) Baby Shower Card
a. Congratulations on your developing little one.
b. Can't wait to meet the next member of the family!
c. I am praying that God blesses your family as it grows.
d. Wishing you a healthy, happy pregnancy and delivery
e. Congratulations. Your life will never be the same, but you will love the change.
Bandung, January 1st
This card comes with living wishes especially for you. To wish you lots of happiness today and all year
through. Happy New Year 2013.
1. The word ―wish‖ in the text nearly means …
2. The purpose of the text above is to ... .
A. remind someone about New Year
B. greet someone for the New Year
C. inform everyone about New Year
D. invite someone to a New Year Celebration
Congratulation on your success in the singing contest. You are the best. We are proud of you.
Uncle Farel & Aunt Fitri
3. Who won the singing contest?
B. Aunt Fitri.
C. Uncle Farel.
D. Uncle Farel and Aunt Fitri.
15. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
To : Ardiana
I just want to remind you that our English examination will be held next week,
on Desember 28th 2013. Dont forget to study hard if you want to be successful.
4. The short message above is written to ... .
A. tell that Ardiana can‘t join the examination.
C. inform about the coming English examination .
B. announce about English examination next month.
D. inform that English examination will be cancelled.
Our sincere Congratulations on your success as The Best Washington City Journalist 2013.
This will support you to write more articles.
The manager and staff of Moonlight Publisher
5. What does Kartika do? She is a …
6. The text is written in order to …
A. tell people to congratulate Kartika.
B. congratulate Kartika on her success.
C. inform people about the best journalist.
D. invite people to come to the Moonlight publisher.
I heard that you have won an English debate competition and got the highest score at your school.
I am very happy for your success. Congratulations! You deserved it.
7. The purpose of the text is to…
A. inform someone about a ccompetition
B. congratulate one‘s success in a competition
C. announce someone‘s success in a competition
D. tell someone about an English debate competition
8. How is auntie Susan‘s feeling about Tommy?
Congratulations on your success in the final examination. Always do the best for the future.
9. Why did Ria congratulate Tio? Because …
A. Tio will face the examination
B. Tio still has the examination
C. Tio has passed the examination
D. Tio should prepare for the examination
Congratulations on your winning the prize of the English debate competition.
I learned about from your Mom.
10. Who won the English debate competition?
C. Lisa‘s mother
D. Ella‘s mother
16. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
Wish you many happy returns of the day.
May God bless you with health, wealth and prosperity in your life.
11. What does Meita do for Anindya's birthday? She ... .
A. Congratulate her on her birthday.
B. gives her prosperity.
C. shares her health.
D. returns her love.
12. What is the purpose of this text?
A. To give warm wishes on someone's birthday.
B. To congratulate someone on her success.
C. To announce someone's birthday.
D. To entertain the readers.
Bandung, January 1st, 2013
This card comes with loving wishes especially for you. To wish you lots of happiness today and all
Happy New Year 2013.
13. The purpose of the text above is ....
A. to greet someone for the New Year
B. to remind someone about New Year
C. to inform everyone about New Year
D. to invite someone to a New Year
You become the runner up of the yearly drawing competition.
Congratulation on your success. I do hope you will be the best next year.
Don’t give up ! you will get it.
14. Who becomes the runner up of the drawing competition?
A. Anne‘s daughter.
B. Anne‘s nephew.
C. Anne‘s cousin.
D. Anne‘s niece
Congratulation on your achievement in English!
You’re really the best
Keep up the good work
15. From the text we can conclude that … .
A. Dewi congratulates Indry
B. Dewi likes English very much
C. Dewi failed in the English test
D. Dewi got the highest score in English
16. What is the purpose of the text?
A. To invite someone
B. To give information
C. To ask for confirmation
D. To express an impression
17. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
We wish to express our deepest condolences on the passing of
Mr. Liem Kwan Chuu
The manager of Gudang Gula Company
on November 6th
May God bless and keep her always
Functionaries and staffs GG Company
17. What is the text about?
A. A wish for Mr. Liem‘s success
B. A greeting on Mr. Liem‘s birthday
C. A support for Mr. Liem as new manager
D. A sympathy on the passing of Mr. Liem
Since we really care about you, all of us send happy thoughts and hopeful wishes that you’ll be feeling
Aunt Irfa and family
18. Irfa sent the card to....
A. wish Santi a speedy recovery from her sickness
B. congratulate Santi on her better feeling
C. greet Santi on her happy thoughts
D. send Santi some thoughtful gifts
19. Why does vicky send the card?
A. To tell Estu that he has just moved to his new house
B. To show Estu that he is proud of her new house
C. To infrom Estu that he has a new house, too
D. To wish Estu‘s happiness in her new house
20. From the text we know that Estu‘s house is … .
B. painted green
C. located in the country
D. far from vicky‘s house
Fortune knocks once at every man's door
We all get at least one good opportunity in life; everybody has the opportunity to be successful in life.
(Kita semua mendapatkan setidaknya satu kesempatan emas dalam hidup; setiap orang mempunyai
kesempatan untuk berhasil dalam hidup)
Jangan didik anak Anda untuk menjadi kaya. Didik
dia untuk menjadi bahagia. sehingga ketika dia
tumbuh dewasa, dia akan mengetahui nilai benda,
Far from the hustle bustle of the city. Hope it always makes you happy. Fresh air and stunning
green view, they are all created for you. Congratulations on your new home. May you always
find peace, health, and happiness here.
Lost of love
18. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
V. ANNOUNCEMENT (pengumuman) : untuk memberitahukan sesuatu yang penting pada seseorang
(biasanya orang banyak). Contoh:
To. All students of SMP Bina Bangsa
In the framework of National Education Day the Students Organization will hold some interesting
programs. They are English Speech Contest and Class Wall Magazine Competition. The program will be
held on May 2nd
, 2011. Started from 8 a.m until 1 p.m.
All classes must take part in the programs.
For detailed information, please contact Mr. Sulaiman, the coordinator of this program
1. What is the announcement above about?
A. An English Speech Contest.
B. A Students Board Organization
C. A National Education Day Ceremony
D. A National Education Day Celebration
2. Based on the announcement above, which statement is not true?
A. The program will be held on National Educational Day.
B. Mr. Sulaiman is in charge to organize the programs
C. The programs will last for four hours.
D. There are two competitions.
THE LINGUISTICS CLUB
460 Language Road Singapore 426626 Tel: 99274484 Fax : 93771206
JAPANESE LANGUAGE COURSE
The Japanese Course to beginners lasts for ten sessions. The course will focus on practical language
use. At the end of the course, you will possess and master a conversational level of Japanese. This
course is suitable for people who may be learning the language for business or leisure.
COURSE PROGRAM (10 SESSIONS) presented to participants who have completed at least 8
Commencing Date : 5 November 2013.
Every Saturday from 07.00 pm to go 09.00 pm
Closing Date (Registration): 29 Oct 2013
3. This course is especially useful to people who are ... .
A. interested in the Japanese language.
B. familiar with the language.
C. Japanese natives speaker.
D. new to the language.
4. At the end of the course, participants will be able to ... .
A. speak fluently in Japanese.
B. converse in simple Japanese.
C. conduct business deals in Japanese.
D. translate English to Japanese easily.
5. Certifacates will be awarded to people who ... at least eight out of ten sessions.
6. How long will the course be held?
A. Two hours
B. Three hours
C. Four hours
D. Five hours
Friday, November 27th
There will be a short girl’s basketball meeting right after school this afternoon in the school
library. Everything needs to be turned in on Friday. Mitchell Lahr and Kira Eng need to get
their permission form from Mr.Discher by the end of the day today. If you are riding the
suburban tomorrow, be here no later than 7.20. Have a great weekend!
7. When will the basketball meeting be held?
A. On Saturday afternoon
B. On Friday afternoon
C. Next Friday
D. Last Friday
19. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
8. ―If you are riding the suburban tomorrow ....‖
What does the underlined word refer to?
A. Kira Eng and Lahr‘s students
B. Mitchell Lahr and Kira Eng
C. All students of the school
D. Mr. Discher‘s principal
9. ―Everything needs to be turned in on Friday‖
The phrase ―to be turned in― has similar meaning to ... .
Scout Association of SMP N 1 Taruma Jaya
To: All members
In order to celebrate our Independence Day, we are going to go camping at Pangrango Mountain from
14 to 16 August 2013.
The contribution is Rp. 50. 000. Those who want to join the activity please contact Mr. Gunawan.
Registration will be opened starting from 5th August 2011.
For further information, please contact the committee.
10. Whom should you meet to register for the program?
A. The chair person.
B. The committee
C. Mr. Gunawan
Complete the sentences with the correct conjunction. Use and, but, or, because, or so.
Example: I have a pen and a pencil.
1. I like rice _______ fish for breakfast.
2. Jenny is kind _______ smart.
3. She wants coffee _______ not cake.
4. He works very hard, _______ he's really tired.
5. Sue can't come tomorrow _______ she's sick.
6. He plays soccer every day _______ he's very
7. I can meet you today _______ not tomorrow.
8. David likes small dogs _______ not big dogs.
9. She can speak French _______ not Itialian.
10. David's very happy _______ he's got a new job.
Join the two sentences to make one sentence. Use and, but, or, because, or so.
Example: I have a pen. I have a pencil. - I have a pen and a pencil.
1. I like coffee. I like tea.
2. She has a cat. She doesn't have a dog.
3. I don't have much money. I can't buy a computer.
4. She isn't here. She's on vacation
5. Do you write with your left hand? Do you write with
your right hand?
1. That apartment isn't big enough for us, ___, it's too expensive.
A. furthermore B. hence C. although
2. The weather was terrible. ___, we decided to put off our trip.
A. Furthermore B. Besides C. Therefore
3. You must buy the tickets; ___, we won't be able to see the movie.
A. otherwise B. although C. besides
4. The neighborhood isn't very interesting. I like the condo, ___.
A. moreover B. thus C. though
5. We live in the same building; ___, we hardly see each other.
6. He didn't earn enough money. ___, his wife decided to get a job.
A. Moreover B. Therefore C. Although
20. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
7. We have plenty of money and workers; ___, we hope to finish the house remodeling soon.
A. nevertheless B. unless C. thus
8. She's extremely rich; ___, she's not a snob.
A. hence B. however C. otherwise
9. It was a windy and rainy night. ___, he decided to go to church for the Christmas celebration.
A. nevertheless B. otherwise C. hence
10. Kate is rich; ___, her cousin Cathy is poor.
A. Therefore B. However C. otherwise
"Never give up, fix mistakes, and keep stepping."
Jangan pernah menyerah, perbaiki kesalahan, dan teruslah melangkah.
VI. INVITATION (Undangan) : untuk mengundang sesorang atau kelompok dalam berbagai
kegiatan, ada yang formal dan adapula yang nonformal,
STRATEGI MENJAWAB SOAL INVITATION
Kata-kata yang sering muncul di dalam teks:
1) invite = mengundang
2) attend = menghadiri
3) join = ikut, bergabung
4) come = datang
5) get together = berkumpul
Ciri-ciri teks undangan:
1) Ada yang mengundang
2) Ada yang diundang
3) Event (acara): birthday party, wedding party. Inauguration day, meeting, dll
4) Ada hari/ tanggal
5) Ada waktu. a.m. = 24.00 s.d. 12.00. ; p.m. = 12.00 s.d. 24.00
6) Tempat; sebuah event diselenggarakan
Yang sering ditanyakan:
1) Tujuan komunikasi teks undangan (the text is written to ....)
2) Siapa yang mengundang dan yang diundang (who sends the invitation?; who is invited?)
3) Hubungan antara orang yang mengundang dan yang diundang (what is the relation between A and B?
4) Event (acara) apa? (what event?
5) hari/ tanggal, waktu, dan tempat sebuah event diselenggarakan (What date?/ when will it be held?)
Kata-kata yang sering digunakan untuk mengundang antara lain: to invite (mengundang), attend
(menghadiri), come (datang), join (mengikuti/bergabung), get together (berkumpul). Untuk menjawab soal
menentukan tujuan/purpose teks, carilah kata-kata tersebut di dalam pilihan jawaban.
Untuk menjawab soal menentukan siapa yang mengundang dan yang diundang, hubungan antara orang yang
mengundang dan yang diundang, event (acara), hari/ tanggal, waktu, dan tempat sebuah event
diselenggarakan, perhatikan kata kunci di dalam pertanyaan, lalu carilah kata kunci itu di dalam teks, maka
jawabannya akan segera diketahui;
21. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
Please join us for party dinner
To celebrate ANNI’S THIRTIETH BIRTHDAY
On Saturday, April 20th, 2013
at 07.00 – 10.00 p.m
In the Etam Restaurant
Please arrive on time!
1. How old will Anni be in 2015?
2. When will the party be held ?
A. In the evening
B. In the morning
C. At midnight
D. At noon
All Students of Grade 9
You are invited to: GRADUATION PARTY 2013 SMP NUSANTARA
Day/Date : Saturday, the fifteenth of July two thousand and thirteen
Time : 10 a.m. – 01 p.m.
Venue : Art Room Pramesti Hotel Jl. Sudirman kav. 9 – 11 Bandung
*Invitation card available at OSIS room.
3. Where will the graduation party be held?
A. At Osis room.
B. On Sudirman street.
C. At Nusantara school.
D. At Art room Pramesti Hotel.
4. How long is the graduation party carried out?
A. 2 hours.
B. 3 hours.
C. 9 hours.
D. 11 hours
Hi friend, I'm happy to invite you to my 15th birthday party
Date : Sunday, May 17th, 2013
Time : 4 p.m.
Place: Jl. Melati no 55 Probolinggo
Please, arrive on time. Without you, the party will be meaningless.
5. In what year was Harlina born?
6. What does the word ―you― refer to?
B. Anita‘s friends
C. Harlina‘s friends
D. Anita and her friends
Come and Join
The Putra Bangsa Secondary School Class of 1996 REUNION
On June 21, 2013
Saturday, 10:00 – 2:00 pm
At the Blue Lagoon Hotel for the lunch and social gathering
And at 20:00 – 23:00 pm At Taman Ismail Marzuki for the cultural evening
For further information please contact The Putra Bangsa School Office at 0254 677431
During the office hours.
7. Those invited to the reunion are ex-students who ….
A. graduated in 1996
B. graduated after 1996
C. graduated from 1990 to 1996
D. were admitted as students in 1996
22. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
8. Which of the following statements is TRUE about the reunion?
A. The lunch and the social gathering will be held before the cultural evening.
B. Further information can be obtained any time from the school office.
C. Those interested to attend the reunion should come to school.
D. The reunion will be held by the committee more than a day.
9. ―For further information please contact …‖ The underlined word means ….
A. more detailed
To celebrate the 5th
anniversary of the art and culture club of our school, we'd like you to join in the
costume party 2012 that will be held on :
Date : February 28t", 2012
Place : the Multipurpose Room
Time : 06.00 p.m.
Use your imagination and wear an original unique costume!
For further detail contact us :
-Arin : 8297532 Class IX-8
-Alam : 7568336 Class VIII-3
10. How should the participant's costume be?
A. Usual and original.
B. Usual and innovative.
C. Imaginative and original.
D. Imaginative and Innovative.
VII. LETTER/E-MAIL (surat): Teks ini memiliki berbagai macam tujuan dan ada yang formal
maupun yang informal. Biasanya terdiri dari beberapa paragraf. Informasi penting umumnya
termaktub dalam body of the letter, yakni bagian antara salam pembuka (Dear …) dan salam
penutup (Sincerely yours). Contoh:
1. These following statements are true based on the postcard above, except ...
A. Andita went to the museum alone.
B. There is no pictures in the poscard.
C. Andita brought a camera to the museum.
D. Andita enjoyed her visiting to the museum.
2. What kind of Museum did Andita visit?
A. Army Museum
B. Marine Museum
C. Aircraft Museum
D. History Museum
3. ―We took photographs on a plane miniature.‘
The word "miniature" in the paragraph above is ...of any object
A. great in size
B. unique model
C. the artistic touch
D. small-scale model
23. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
Date: Wed,2nd January of 2013 16.33-0700 (PDT)
Have you opened the present? Just see and you will love it. I am afraid I can’t see you tomorrow.
Four friends are coming to my house. How about next two days? Let’s find some time to talk.
4. Who sent the e-mail?
A. Parama Satria
B. English on sky
C. Curly boy
5. What is the purpose of writing the e-mail ?
A. Giving information to someone
B. Postponing an appointment
C. Congratulating someone
D. Making an appointment
My eldest brother is a brainy secondary-school athlete. But after he broke up with his girlfriend, he quit
the team, got tattoos and started hanging out till late at night. His grades also dropped. He hardly talks
to me and often fights with my other brother. Our parents are very busy with their work and have very
little time for us. What can a 14-year-old sister do?
6. The letter is sent to Aunty to ….
A. ask for Aunty‘s advice
B. talk about her two brothers
C. complain about her boyfriend
D. inform Aunty about her family
7. ―My eldest brother is a brainy ….‖ The word ‗brainy‘ means….
DearGrandma and Grandpa,
Yesterday at my school, we had an International Day. We had performances, food stalls,
displays, raffle ticket draw, and some of us were dressed in costumes.
We started our day off with performances, but the one I liked best was the one from seven
grade. We played games. The performance I was in was Lambada.
Straight after our performances we had our lunch. There were food stalls. They came from the
eght Australia, Asia, Arab, and Greece.
Every one had a job. These people were from eghth grade. I did my job after I had lunch. My
job was to sell International Day books.
We had displays in the hall. These displays were good, but I didn’t get to see them. The displays
came from a lot of country.
There was also a Trash annd Treasure stall where they sold toys. The school got these things
by asking the children to bring them in.
Although I didn’t win, International Day was still fun
8. Which stall sells toys?
A. Raffle ticket draw.
B. Trash and Treasure stall
C. International food stalls
D. Displays form a lot of countries
9. What does the letter tell you about?
A. The writer‘s grandparents.
B. Food stalls from different countries.
C. The writer‘s favourite performances
D. An international day at an elementary school.
24. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
To : email@example.com
RE : Planning 4 holiday
Date : June, 29th
Hi, Akmal. How’s life? We’re going to have a long holiday this summer, aren’t we? What are u going to
do? U know summer is a good time for camping and hiking. We plan to go to Salak mountain. It’s a nice
place for camping and hiking, and also for fishing. There’s a river near campsite. But I’m not really
keen on it. At night we’ll sit around the fire and sing songs. Why don’t u join us? It’ll be more fun if u
come. Let me know soon.
10. What activities is Denise going to do in the long holiday?
A. Camping and fishing, and singing.
B. Camping and hiking and sitting around fire.
C. Camping, hiking , fishing and sitting around fire.
D. Camping, hiking, singing, and sitting around fire.
MODAL VERBS IN ENGLISH
can bisa,dapat could bisa,dapat
will akan would akan
shall akan should Akan/sebaiknya
may boleh,mungkin might mungkin
must harus, pasti Had to harus
have to harus Had to harus
ought to sebaiknya - -
A. Probability (kemungkinan): must, can’t
1) It's snowing, so it must be very cold outside.
Cuaca sedang bersalju, sehingga keadaannya mungkin sangat dingin di luar)
2) I don't know where John is. He could have missed the train.
Saya tidak tahu di mana John berada. Dia mungkin telah ketinggalan bis
3) This bill can't be right. £200 for two cups of coffee!
Tagihan ini tak mungkin benar. £200 untuk dua cangkir kopi!
B. Ability (=kemampuan): can
1) She can speak six languages.
Dia bisa berbicara enam bahasa.
2) My grandfather could play golf very well.
Nenekku (dulu) bisa bermain golf dengan sangat baik
3) I can't drive.
Saya tidak bisa mengemudi
4) Can you drive?
Dapatkah kamu mengemudi?
C. Obligation and Advice (=keharusan dan saran): must, have to, should
1) Children must do their homework.
Anak-anak harus mengerjakan PR mereka.
2) We have to wear a uniform at work.
Kita harus memakai seragam di tempat kerja.
3) You should stop smoking.
Anda sebaiknya berhenti merokok.
D. Permission (=izin = ): can, could
1) Could I leave early today, please?
Bolehkah saya pulang awal?
2) You may not use the car tonight.
Anda tak boleh menggunakan mobil itu malam ini
Can we swim in the lake? ( = Bolehkah kami berenang di danau?)
25. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
E. Habits (=kebiasaan): will, would
1) John will always be late!
John akan selalu terlambat
2) When I lived in Italy, we would often eat in the restaurant next to my flat.
Ketik saya tinggal di Italy, kami biasanya sering makan di restoran di samping flat
F. Mixed modals exercises
1) ____ you like to go to the beach with me?
2) Take an umbrella when you go out. It ____ rain later.
3) ____ I help you carry the suitcase inside?
4) ____ you mind making a reservation at the restaurant?
5) We had a great time yesterday. You ___ have come.
6) The phone is ringing. It ____ be Allen.
7) We ____ all wear seatbelts in a car.
8) _____ I pick you up at eight o'clock?
9) John ____ come home earlier today.
10) It's getting dark. I ____go home now.
1. She has an uncle. Her uncle works in a hospital.
She has an uncle who works in a hospital.
2. That is the man. He is teaching Maths at the school.
That is the man who is teaching Maths at the school.
3. My aunt plays the piano well. She is a music teacher.
My aunt who is a music teacher plays the piano well.
( WHO is used for people as subject He, She, it, they, etc. )
1. The girl is my cousin. I was talking to her.
The girl whom I was talking to is my cousin.
2. My maid is leaving for her village. You met her yesterday.
My maid whom you met yesterday is leaving for her village.
3. The child has left the room. I was talking to him.
The child whom I was talking to has left his room.
( WHOM is used for human beings as an object. Him, her, it, them, etc. )
1. I met the man. His daughter won the first prize.
I met the man whose daughter won the first prize.
2. The woman is taking her clothes to the laundry. Her clothes are dirty.
3. The woman whose clothes are dirty is taking them to the laundry.
26. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
4. Do you know the girl? Her hair is red.
5. Do you know the girl whose hair is red?
( WHOSE is used for possessive adjectives. his, her, its, their, etc. After WHOSE, there comes a
1. The book is interesting. The book is written in English.
The book which is written in English is interesting.
The book, which is interesting, is written in English.
2. Ali goes to school. The school is far away.
Ali goes to school which is far away.
3. I can‘t find my jacket. It is yellow.
I can‘t find my jacket which is yellow.
( WHICH is used for things & animals )
Exercises: Join these sentences with the Relative pronouns in the bracket . Leave out the words in
1. She has a grandfather. He is ninety years old. (who)
2. He tore up the letter. He had read it. (which)
3. Miss. Linda is cooking the fish. Her brother caught the fish from the river. (which)
4. The Baker has two sons. We order bread from him. (whom)
5. The boy was taken to the hospital. The hospital was the largest in the country. (which)
6. Do you know the man? His car is parked in front of my gate. (whose)
7. My watch is not working again. It was repaired a week ago. (which)
8. Is that the girl? Her brother went to study in Australia. (whose)
9. Have you heard the story of the goose? The goose laid a golden egg. (which)
10. The horse died in the stable. It collapsed during the race. (which)
VIII. ADVERTISEMENT (iklan). Tujuannya untuk mempromosikan (to advertise) sesuatu atau membujuk
(to persuade) atau menginformasikan sesuatu (to inform).
Ciri-ciri Teks Iklan biasanya :
1) Ada produk barang/jasa yang diiklankan
2) Keistimewaan produk/jasa
3) Persentase diskon
4) keterangan harga
Yang sering ditanyakan antara lain:
1) Menentukan tujuan komunikasi teks iklan
2) Keistimewaan produk
3) Persentase diskon dan keterangan harga (jika ada)
4) Alamat/ no. telp
27. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14
SMPN 5 TAMAN
STRATEGI MENJAWAB SOAL MENENTUKAN TUJUAN KOMUNIKASI TEKS IKLAN
Tujuan komunikasi ( the purpose) teks iklan adalah to advertise/advertisement / to promote
/ to persuade (untuk mengiklankan / mempromosikan / membujuk).
Teks iklan berisi tentang keistimewaan suatu produk/jasa, persentase discount, dll.
Perhatikan kata kunci di dalam pertanyaan, lalu carilah kata itu di dalam teks, maka akan segera
SALE CASSANOVA'S ANNUAL SALE This week only
SAVE 25% Men's and women's clothing, shoes, coats and sweaters, swimwears, jeans.
Jewelry: watches, rings, earrings, necklaces
SAVE 40% Furniture: leather sofas, dining tables and chairs, bookcases. Luggage: bags and
1. Who is the writer of the advertisement?
A. Cassanova's customer
B. Cassanova's reader
C. Cassanova's owner
D. Cassanova's buyer
2. What is the purpose of the text above?
A. To ask people things in Cassanova
B. To guide people to go to Cassanova
C. To persuade people to buy things in Cassanova
D. To inform people about Cassanova
3. What kind of advertisement is it?
A. a shopping advertisement
B. a job vacancy advertisement
C. a franchise advertisement
D. an entertainment advertisement
4. How long is the sale?
A. Five days
B. Six days
C. Seven days
D. Eight days
5. What goods get 25% off?
A. Bags and briefcases
B. Bookcase and chairs
C. Necklaces and watches
D. Dining tables and leather sofas
Annual Promo Special
Seven days only storewide
At All DC World Bookstore
6. From the text we know that ....
A. The promo will last for two weeks.
B. All items get more than a 40% discount.
C. We can get discount at any DC World Bookstores.
D. Al DC World Bookstores are wide enough to shop.
7. How often is the promo?
A. Once a week
B. Twice a month
C. Once a year
D. Twice a year
28. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 28
WELCOME TO PULAU SERIBU
Ready to relax and rid of the hustle and bustle of the city?
Then come to Pulau Seribu, a popular tourist destination for city folk.
Enjoy beautiful beaches and cozy resorts and hotels.
Swim in crystal-clear water, ride banana boats, take snorkling and
do other exciting water activities.
Come and enjoy it!
8. What is the purpose of writing the text?
A. To advertise Pulau Seribu tourism
B. To describe Pulau Seribu hotels and resorts
C. To entertain the readers with water activities
D. To show the views of resorts in Pulau Seribu
9. From the advertisement above we know that ....
A. the resorts and the hotels are near the sea
B. Pulau Seribu is very unpleasant islands
C. there is only one beach in Pulau seribu
D. most visitors of the island like diving
10. ―Enjoy beautiful beaches and cozy resorts and hotels.‖ (line 3).
What does the underlined word mean?
"Every successful person must have a failure. Do not be afraid to fail
because failure is a part of success."
Setiap orang sukses pasti mempunyai kegagalan. Jangan takut gagal karena kegagalan adalah
bagian dari kesuksesan.
"There is a moment to talk and there is a moment to be silent."
Ada saatnya kita bicara dan ada saatnya kita diam.
"If you do not know a fact, silence will be the best way."
Jika kamu tidak mengetahui sebuah fakta, maka diam adalah jalan yang terbaik.
"God's plan is always more beautiful than our desire."
Rencana Tuhan selalu lebih indah dari keinginan kita.
29. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 29
Suatu tulisan singkat (kata/frasa) yang digunakan untuk menunjukkan atau menggambarkan
identitas suatu barang, seperti pakaian, makanan, minuman, dan lain-lain. Contoh;
600 mg 100 Soft gels
Serving size: 1 soft gel
Amount per 1 soft
% Daily Value*
Vitamin D 200 IU 50
Calcium (from milk) 600 mg 60
Zinc 15 mg *
*Daily value has not been established
Other ingredients: Gelatin, Glycerin, Purified Water
Directions: As a dietary supplement, take one soft gel for adults daily.
NU-HEALTH PRODUCTS CO.
Walnut, CA 91789
Made in U.S.A.
EXP 04 27 16
LOT 2 75 61
1. When would it be best to consume the product?
A. before April 27th, 2016
B. after April 4th, 2016
C. during April 4th, 2016
D. on April 4th, 2016
2. How many soft gels does someone take everyday?
A. 1 gel
B. 15 mg
C. 200 IU
D. 600 mg
3. ―Daily value has not been established.‖
What is the meaning of the underlined word?
Each tablet contains :
Propifenason 150 mg
Paracetamol 250 mg
Dekslorfeniramina Maleat 1 mg
Kofeina 50 mg
Dosage : Adults and children over 12 : 2 – 3 daily 1 tablet
Indication : To relieve headaches and toothache.
4. The text above is about …
A. a recipe
B. a prescription
C. a medicine
D. a lesson
5. Where can we find the text above?
A. On the container of food
B. On the container of medicine
C. On the paper box
D. on the toys box
30. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 30
Children's Cold & Allergy Medicine
Temporarily relieves nasal congestion due to the common cold, hay fever or other
upper respiratory allergies, or associated with sinusitis
Temporarily relieves these symptoms due to hay fever (allergic rhinitis):
itching of the nose or throat
itchy, watering eyes
Temporarily restores freer breathing through the nose
Directions: Do not take more than 4 doses in any 24-hour period
adults and children over
4 tsp every 4 hours
children 6 to under 12
2 tsp every 4 hours
children under 6 years ask a doctor
6. From the label above we know that ....
A. this medicine is only for adult
B. this medicine is in the form of syrup
C. children under 12 cannot take this medicine
D. stomachache can be cured with this medicine
“MAWAR” SPLASH COLONGE
Long lasting body fragrance to give freshness on the body. Make your skin feel soft and
Red Rose parfume, give long lasting fragrance from red rose.
Almond protein extract, helps the moisture and soothing the skin.
Cooling agent, leaves your body fresh and cool.
Direction to use:
Splash the colonge all over the body after having shower or when necessary.
7. What is the text about?
A. Mawar‖ splash colonge
B. Red Rose Flower
C. Liquid Soap
D. Body lotion
8. Which statement is true according to the text?
A. We use the product by splashing it all
over the body
B. Almond protein makes long lasting
C. Cooling agent leaves the body very
D. It is a kind of syrup.
9. The word ―splash‖ means....
10. The word ―your‖ in the text refers to.....
A. the company
B. writer of the text
C. user of the product
D. producer of the colonge
31. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 31
Jenis Teks (GENRES)
Berikut ini contoh-contoh jenis-jenis teks (genre) yang digunakan dalam kurikulum ini.
To describe how something
is accomplished through a
sequence of actions or
Materials (not required
for all Procedural texts).
Steps 1-n (i.e., Goal
followed by a series of
steps oriented to
achieving the Goal).
1) Focus on generalized human
2) Use of simple present tense,
3) Use mainly of temporal
conjunctions (or numbering to
4) Use mainly of Material
To describe a particular
person, place or thing.
phenomenon to be
1) Focus on specific Participants
2) Use of Attributive and
3) Frequent use of Ephitets and
Classifiers in nominal groups.
4) Use of simple present tense.
To describe the way
things are, with reference
to a range of natural, man-
made and social
phenomena in our
tells what the
Description tells what
the phenomenon under
discussion is like in terms
of (1) parts, (2) qualities,
(3) habits or behaviors, if
living; uses, if non-
1) Focus on Generic Participants.
2) Use of Relational Processes to
state what is and that which it
3) Use of simple present tense
4) No temporal sequence.
To retell events for the
purpose of informing or
the setting and introduces
Events: tell what
happened, in what
closure of events
1) Focus on specific Participants
2) Use of material processes
3) Circumstances of time and
4) Use of past tense
5) Focus on temporal sequence.
To amuse, entertain and to
deal with actual or
vicarious experience in
different ways; Narratives
deal with problematic
events which lead to a crisis
or turning point of some
kind, which in turn finds a
Orientation: sets the
scene and introduces the
Evaluation: a stepping
back to evaluate the
Complication: a crisis
Resolution: the crisis is
resolved, for better or for
1) Focus on specific and usually
2) Use of Material Processes
(and in this text, Behavioual
and Verbal Processes.
3) Use of Relational Processes
and Mental Processes.
4) Use of temporal conjunctions
and temporal Circumstances.
5) Use of past tense.
Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.
Kebingungan adalah awal pengetahuan.
32. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 32
a. Tujuan Komunikatif Teks : Memberi petunjuk tentang cara melakukan sesuatu melalui
serangkaian tindakan atau langkah.
b.Struktur Umum Teks :
1) Goal (Tujuan) : Berisi tentang apa yang akan dilakukan.
2) Materials (bahan-bahan) : Berisi bahan dan alat yang diperlukan untuk mencapai tujuan.
(namun ini bersifat tidak wajib/optional, boleh ada boleh tidak ada).
3) Steps (langkah-langkah) : Berisi serangkaian tindakan /langkah-langkah yang mengarah
tercapainya tujuan awal.
c. Ciri Kebahasaan :
1) Menggunakan kalimat perintah : Misalnya:
cook and wait until boiled;
add sugar and milk.
1) Menggunakan "Action Verb" | "Material process" kata kerja tindakan misalnya;
1) prepare 21) steam
2) take 22) poach
3) remove 23) roast
4) put 24) bake
5) cut 25) simmer
6) hit 26) toss / mix
7) slice 27) grate
8) chop 28) drain
9) flip 29) blend
10) roll out 30) store
11) turn 31) grab
12) fold 32) heat
13) sprinke 33) peel
14) pour 34) feel
15) stir 35) squeeze
16) grind 36) melt
17) fry 37) use
18) barbeque 38) decorate
19) boil 39) garnish
20) stew 40) serve
2) Menggunakan "Connectives" (Kata sambung/Words of Sequences),) yang mengurutkan
First = ... . Before = ... .
firstly = ... . After = ... .
Then = ... . Now = ... .
After that = ... . Finally / at last = ... .
3) "Adverbials" untuk menyatakan rinci waktu, tempat atau cara yang akurat misalnya :
1) wait for ten minutes,
2) mix thoroughhly.
4) Subjeck / pelaku di sini biasanya "You" yang bersifat "Implicit" (secara tersirat) misalnya :
add salt and grind all spices. Disini sudah jelas pelakunya "You" maka tidak usah ditulis.
33. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 33
Goal How to make an omelette.
25g of oil
o Take the pan and put it in the oil. Heat the oil until it is hot.
o Break the eggs into a bowl and add the milk.
o Beat the eggs and milk together and when mixed thoroughly, add to the frying
o Fry until the omlette in brown on one side and then turn it over in the pan.
o When cooked, remove from the pan and serve with a garnish of parsley.
Teks procedure umumnya menggunakan kalimat perintah. Cara membuat kalimat perintah adalah dengan
cara meletakkan kata kerja bentuk 1 (VERB1) di awal kalimat, contoh:
Verb1 Object Adverb
Take the pan -
Put it in the oil
Heat the oil until it is hot
Break the eggs into a bowl
Add the milk -
Beat the eggs and milk together
Fry until the omelette is brown on one side
turn it in the pan
LATIHAN SOAL BAHASA INGGRIS-PROCEDURE TEXT
1 pineapple cut into dices
3 glasses of water
1 glass of granulated sugar
Directions: Boil water until boiled.
Then add sugar, cinnamon, and clovers.
Bring it to boil and add the pineapples.
Wait until you can smell the pineapple.
Remove from heat and serve cold.
1. The recipe tells you how to make ….
A. granulated sugar
B. pineapple stew
2. What ingredients are needed to make pineapple stew?
A. Dice, glass, sugar
B. Pineapples, water, sugar
C. Glass, water, sugar
D. Pineapples, dice, water
3. How much sugar do we need?
A. 1 cup
B. 1 glass
C. 3 glasses
D. 3 spoons
4. When do we have to stop boiling the pineapple?
A. When the water is boiled
B. When we smell the pineapple
C. After we remove the stew from heat
D. After sugar, cinamon, and clovers are added
5. How should you serve the pineapple stew?
A. It is served cold
B. It is served hot
C. It is served raw
D. It is served uncooked
34. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 34
1 large ginger
granulated sugar as desired
½ piece of palm sugar
100 g peanuts, fried and get rid of its inner skin.
100 g green beans, boiled
3 slices of bread, slice into dices
100 g pomegranate seeds, boil until soft
Peel and slice the ginger.
Boil it in a litre of water.
Add some granulated sugar and ½ piece of palm sugar.
Strain once it‘s boiled.
o Pour some boiled ginger water into a small bowl.
o Add 1 tbs of pomegranate seed, green bean and peanut.
o Add some bread on top.
(Source: BSE, Scaffolding English for Grade IX Students)
6. The generic structure of the text contains ….
7. To make sekoteng, we need...
A. ginger, granulated sugar, palm sugar, peanut skin, green bean, bread, pomegranate seeds
B. ginger, granulated sugar, palm, peanut, green bean, dices, pomegranate seeds
C. ginger, granulated sugar, palm sugar, inner skin of peanut, green bean, bread
D. ginger, sugar, peanut, green bean, bread, pomegranate seeds
VANILLA DROPS COOKIES
(Makes 4 dozen)
Ingredients: 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
Combine flour and baking powder, set aside.
Beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until light-coloured.
Stir in the flour and baking powder mixture.
Drop the batter by teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto a greased and floured baking sheet. Set
aside in a room temperature for 6 hours.
Bake at 35°F for 6 minutes.
Remove from baking sheet to a wire rack to cool.
8. The text gives us ... how to prepare vanilla drop cookies.
9. What ingredients do you need to make vanilla drops cookies?
A. flour, mixing bowl, vanilla extract, eggs, and sugar
B. flour, baking powder, vanilla extract, eggs, and sugar
C. flour, baking powder, vanilla ice cream, eggs, and salt
D. flour, baking powder, vanilla ice cream, eggs, and sugar
35. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 35
10. How long does it take to bake the cookies?
A. 2 minutes
B. 6 minutes
C. 35 minutes
D. 60 minutes
11. How many cookies will you get with the above recipe?
1 c. water
1 c. granulated sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. peppermint oil or other flavour
Sprinkle a thick coat of powdered sugar on a cookie sheet.
Combine the granulated sugar, light corn syrup and water in a heavy saucepan.
Cook over medium-high heat until the hard-crack stage. (When the candy caramel cracks, then dip
into cold water).
Remove from heat.
Add the peppermint oil or other flavour. Stir well.
Pour onto the cookie sheet.
Sprinkle with more powdered sugar.
Cut with a knife as soon as cool enough to handle.
12. What does the recipe explain you about?
A. How to make candies
B. How to sprinkle sugar on a cookie sheet
C. How to stir well
D. How to cut candies with a knife
13. What ingredients do you need to make it?
A. water, granulated sugar , light corn syrup,
B. water, sugar, corn, peppermint
C. cookie sheet, caramel, powdered sugar
D. a knife, cookie sheet, saucepan
14. How many steps are there to make candy?
15. When do we cut the candy?
A. Before sprinkle with more powdered
B. After we pour the mixture to the cookie
C. As soon as the candies cool enough to
D. As soon as we remove the caramel from
Making fried banana or Making pisang goreng is very easy. First you need some good bananas and some
frying oil. You can slice the bananas into thin slices, then fry them in very hot oil until they turn brown. If
you like, you can sprinkle some sugar on top. Otherwise, roll the bananas in flour before you fry them.
16. The main idea of the paragraph is ….
A. slice the bananas into thin slices
B. Making fried banana is very easy
C. Roll the bananas in flour before you fry them
D. Fry bananas in very hot oil until they turn brown
17. The text above talks about ….
A. You need some good bananas
B. Fry bananas in very hot oil until brown
C. Making fried banana or making pisang goreng
D. If you like sprinkle some sugar on top of bananas
36. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN 36
18. The suitable title of the text above is ….
A. How to frying bananas
B. How to make fried banana
C. How to roll the bananas in flour
D. How to slice the bananas into thin slices
This traditional beverage has the function of reducing body odour, refreshing,
smoothing, and slimming our body.
1 kg turmeric
1 kg palm sugar
250 g black tamarind
salt as much as needed
3 litre of water
Peel turmeric and wash it.
Then, slice it.
Use a grinder or blender to grind the sliced turmeric.
Pour the ground turmeric into a deep pan and add the rest of the ingredients.
Bring it to boil.
Stir it occasionally.
Once it is boiled, strain the mixture.
Let it cool off and serve it with some ice cubes.
19. This recipe tells us how to make ―kunyit asam‖. It is a kind of ….
20. We have to … the turmeric before we wash it.
MIXED ICE (ES CAMPUR)
½ of avocado
3 tbs. of condensed milk
1 can of coconut water and coconut shavings
some ice cubes
How to make it:
Cut the avocado into small pieces.
Put ice cubes into the glass.
Fill ½ of the glass with some coconut water and coconut shavings.
Add the sliced avocado.
Add the condensed milk on the top of avocado.
Mixed Ice is ready to be served.
Combine flour and baking powder.
21. The text tells you ….
A. about avocado
B. how to mix ice
C. how to make Mixed Ice
D. how to eat Mixed Ice
22. You need the following things to make Mixed Ice, EXCEPT ….
B. condensed milk
C. ice cubes
23. How much coconut water and coconut shavings do you need?
A. 1 glass.
B. ½ can.
C. ½ glass
D. ¼ glass
How many servings can you get form the recipe?
37. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
24. You need 3 tbs. of condensed milk. The underlined word is the abbreviation of ….
How to turn on a computer
Turn the power supply on.
Turn the computer on
Turn the monitor on.
How to turn off a computer
Click start menu.
Click Turn Off.
Click Turn Off again.
Turn the monitor then the power supply off.
25. To turn on a computer, first we have to turn the … on.
B. start menu
C. power supply
26. We must … the ―Turn Off‖ after we click start menu if we want to turn off a cmputer.
Printing a File
Turn the printer on.
Open the file that you want to print.
Click ―File‖. And then click ―print‖.
Check if the printer‘s name is the same as the one you are going to use. If it is not the same,
then search for the name of the printer that you are going to use by clicking on the small
triangle or arrow beside it.
Click ―pages‖ and then type the pages that you want to print.
Select the number of copies that you want to print by clicking on the arrows beside it.
Click ―OK‖ or ―Print‖.
27. The text is about how to …. a file
28. How do we open the file?
A. Just by turning the printer on.
B. Just by clicking the ―File‖
C. Just by clicking ―Print‖
D. Just by typing the pages
29. What do we have to do if the printer's name is not the same as the one we are going to use?
A. Search for the name of the printer that we are going to use by clicking on the small triangle
or arrow beside it
B. Select the number of copies that you want to print by clicking on the arrows beside it.
C. Click ―pages‖ and then type the pages that you want to print.
D. Turn the printer off.
30. Which one is the best arrangement of the following sentences to make a good paragraph?
1. Pour the cooked noodles together with the soup into the bowl.
2. Your delicious noodle is ready to be served.
3. Boil noodles into 400 cc (2 glasses) of briskly water and simmer for three minutes.
4. Mix all with all the seasoning.
5. Pour the seasoning and chili powder in a bowl, while noodle is being cooked.
a) 3 – 5 – 1 – 4 – 2
b) 3 – 5 – 1 – 2 – 4
c) 5 – 3 – 1 – 4 – 2
d) 5 – 3 – 1 – 2 – 4
38. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
3 pound, whole fried chicken
6 to 8 cups of water
1 diced garlic clove
1 cup of sliced onion
1 cup of sliced celery
½ cup of sliced carrots
2 cup of chopped leeks
3 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
Pinch of salt
Rinse the chicken.
Place the chicken in a bowl and add vegetables, and enough water to cover them. Put the
bowl into an oven and boil over medium-high heat.
Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 90 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the heat. Serve the steaming hot chicken, garnished with parsley,
salt and ground black pepper.
31. What is the purpose of the text?
A. To describe about the chicken soup
B. To explain what the chicken soup is
C. To show how to make the chicken soup
D. To entertain the readers about the chicken
32. What do we do first after rinsing the chicken?
A. Put the bowl into an oven
B. Place the chicken in a bowl
C. Reduce heat to low and simmer
D. Add vegetable and enough water
33. ―…, and enough water to cover them.‖ (line 2)
What does the word ―them‖ refer to?
A. Chicken and bowl
B. Vegetables and bowl
C. Vegetables and chicken
D. Bowl, chicken, and vegetabes
Prepare a pan and some eggs.
Put some water in the pan.
Put some eggs in the pan.
Turn on the stove.
Put the pan on it.
Wait until the water is boiled.
Wait for 5 minutes.
The boiled eggs are ready.
34. What kind of dish is it based on the instruction?
A. Hot dog.
D. Boiled eggs.
39. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
A cup of yogurt
Some mint leaves
A small bowl
Wash the fruit and let them dry on paper towels
Cut the strawberries and grapes in half on two slices
Slice the banana into chunks
Combine all the fruit in the large bowl and mix them
Take three spoonfuls of mixed fruit and put them in a small bowl
Add a bit of yoghurt on top of the fruit salad
Place a small bundle of mint leaves on the yogurt as a garnish
Sunrise salad is ready to serve
35. What is a small bowl for?
A. To put mixed fruit.
B. To mix all the fruit
C. To place mixed fruit
D. To add some mixed fruit
36. What should we do after we cut all the fruit?
A. Combine them in a large bowl
B. Garnish it with mint leaves
C. Add a bit of yoghurt in it
D. Serve it immediately
37. ―Slice the banana into chunks‖ (step 3)
The underlined word means …
A. Small pieces
B. Large pieces
C. Thick pieces
D. Thin pieces
Fortune knocks once at every man's door
We all get at least one good opportunity in life; everybody has the opportunity to be successful in life.
(Kita semua mendapatkan setidaknya satu kesempatan emas dalam hidup; setiap orang mempunyai
kesempatan untuk berhasil dalam hidup)
40. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
BE + ADJECTIVES
ADJECTIVES EXERCISE 2
Look at the ADJECTIVE in the first sentence. Then complete the second sentence with be + an adjective that
has an opposite meaning. Use the adjective in the list. Use each adjective only one time.
beautiful expensive open
clean fast poor
cold happy short
dangerous noisy sour
1. I'm not sad. I 'm happy
2. Ice isn't hot. It‘s _____
3. Mr.Thomas isn't rich. He‘s_____
4. My hair isn't long. It‘s _____
5. My clothes aren't dirty. They‘re _____
6. Flowers aren't ugly. They‘re_____
7. Cars aren't cheap. They‘re _____
8. Airplanes aren't slow. They‘re _____
9. Grammar isn't difficult. It‘s _____
10. My sister isn't short. She‘s _____
11. My grandparents aren't young.
12. The roads aren't quiet. They‘re _____
13. The isn't closed it‘s _____
14. Guns aren't safe. They‘re _____
15. Lemons aren't sweet. They‘re _____
Adjectives: -ed / -ing Forms
Many adjectives can end in -ed or -ing. For example:
1. I'm excited about tomorrow.
2. This is an exciting book.
3. I'm interested in modern art.
4. I was really bored yesterday.
5. Modern art is interesting.
6. The news was shocking.
7. He's bored.
8. He's boring.
ADJECTIVES EXERCISE 2 : Complete the sentences using -ing adjectives or -ed adjectives.
1. The girl seemed _____ in my thoughts and opinions. (interested / interseting )
2. The children looked _____ by the old toys. (fascinated / fascinating)
3. I felt _____ after just a short time in the forest. (invigorated / invigorating)
4. The recent downward trend in poverty seems _____. (encouraged / encouraging)
5. _____ at the thought of moving away, Jonathon began to cry. (Terrified / Terrifying)
6. When you're not in good spirits, it is _____ to stay in bed all day. (tempted / tempting)
7. One finding that appeared _____ was that birth rates were declining. (troubled / troubling)
8. Never had Ann felt so _____ by the landscape she traveled through. (charmed / charming)
9. As _____ as it is to be with others, it's crucial to spend some time alone. (comforted / comforting)
10. The working mother was _____ at the thought of being labeled a "homemaker." (amused / amusing)
DEGREES of COMPARISON
Use as (adjective) as to show similarity. For example:
1. Jennifer is 163cm tall and Tony is 163cm. Tall.
2. Jennifer is as tall as Tony
3. This house is 40 years old, that house is also 40 years old. This house is as old as that house.
4. Spring is as warm as fall.
5. The Amazon isn't as long as the Nile
6. Is Japan as big as England?
1. His hair is as white as snow
2. Her skin is as smooth as silk
3. I am as free as a bird
4. He is as tall as a tree
5. He is as light as a feather
6. His face is as cold as ice
7. The train is as black as coal
41. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
COMPARATIVES AND SUPERLATIVES
1. A horse is bigger than a dog, but an elephant is the biggest
2. A goat is smaller than a cow, but a rabbit is the smallest
3. A bus is longer than a car, but a train is the longest
4. A donkey is shorter than a horse, but a got is the shortest
5. A motorcycle is faster than a bicycle, but a jet is the fastest
ADJECTIVES EXERCISE 3: Superlatives at the zoo. Underline the best superlative adjective.
1. The giraffe is | the longest | the tallest | the smallest | animal in the zoo. It‘s 5.5 metres.
2. Mr Collins is | the youngest | the tallest | the smartest | man who works in the zoo. Mr Collins is 1.9
3. The elephant is | the heaviest | the youngest | the lightest | animal in the zoo. It‘s 5 tonnes.
4. The lion house is | the oldest | the widest | the smallest | building in the zoo. It was built in 1927.
5. The python is | the tallest | the longest | the fastest | snake in the zoo. It‘s 6 metres.
6. The ostrich has | the fastest | the largest | the smallest | eggs in the zoo. They weigh 1.6 kg.
7. The Shire horse is | the strongest | the heaviest | the longest | horse in the zoo. It can pull 50 tonnes.
8. Bruno, the baby lion is | the sharpest | the highest | the youngest | animal in the zoo. Bruno is two days
DEGREES OF COMPARISON
Positive Comparative Superlative Positive Comparative Superlative
1 Small Smaller The smallest Beautiful More beautiful The most beautiful
2 Big Bigger The biggest Helpful More helpful The most helpful
3 Short Shorter The shortest Helpless More helpless The most helpless
4 Long Longer The longest Dangerous More dangerous The most dangerous
5 Fast Faster The fastest Terrible More terrible The most terrible
6 Quick Quicker The quickest Responsible More responsible The most responsible
7 Busy Busier The busiest Generous More generous The most generous
8 Easy Easier The easiest Gorgeous More gorgeous The most gorgeous
9 Tidy Tidi er The tidiest Exciting More exciting The most exciting
Tambahkan –er/ –est untuk adjective
yang terdiri dari satu/dua suku kata
Tambahkan more/ the most untuk adjective yang
terdiri dari tiga suku kata/lebih
ADJECTIVES EXERCISE 4
1. Generally, girls are ______ than boys.
A. talkative B. most talkative C. more talkative
2. Cricket is an ______game.
A. exciting B. more exciting C. the most exciting
3. Arpita is looking _______ in this dress.
A. gorgeous B. more gorgeous C. the most gorgeous
4. She has a very ______voice.
A. Sour B. sweet C. bitter
5. Diamond is the _______natural material.
A. hard B. hardest C. harder
6. This exercise is quite ______
A. simple B. more simple C. the most simple
7. Rohan is a _______ boy.
A. trustworthy B. trustworthier C. the trustworthest
8. The entire staff of the hotel we stayed at was very ________.
A. friendly B. friendlier C. the friendliest
9. You are getting _____ all the time!
A. good B. Better C. The best
10. Your efforts to accomplish this project are _____!
A. outstanding B. more outstanding C. the most outstanding
42. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Teks yang bertujuan untuk menggambarkan sesuatu yang spesifik: seseorang, suatu benda, suatu tempat,
seekor binatang. Teks description menggambarkan satu orang/benda/tempat/ binatang secara khusus. Teks
description menyodorkan banyak informasi tentang orang/ benda/tempat/binatang tertentu secara gamblang,
[sering] rinci, [acapkali] dapat divisualisasikan.
Teks description umumnya memiliki struktur:
Identification; pengenalan subjek atau hal yang akan dideskripsikan.
Description; penginformasian ciri-ciri subjek—misalnya sifat-sifat psikologis, perilaku, tampilan fisik, fitur-
fitur khas, kualitas, dan sejenisnya.
Purna Bhakti Pertiwi Museum
Purna Bhakti Pertiwi Museum is a place to preserve the historical evidance of
Mr. Soeharto's struggle and service to the country and nation since early
independence up to the era of national development.
As a tourist object, this museum also houses a number of the finest works of art
presented to Mr. and Mrs. Soeharto by friends as well as colleagues from all
concerns of the world.
Through this booklet, one will have a glimpse at Purna Bhakti Pertiwi Museum.
It covers the meaning and material of the existing collections consisting of
various kinds and forms of work of art which makes this museum appealing to
CIRI KEBAHASAAN: Menggunakan kalimat Simple Present Tense, contoh:
SUBJECT TOBE ADJECTIVE
1) My mother is beautiful
2) Dea is very good and helpful
3) Her teacher is very proud
4) She is is diligent and kind
5) She is not short
6) She is not tall
7) I am happy
8) They are generous
SUBJECT TOBE ADVERB
1) She is in Year Seven at Mondial Lower Secondary School Place
2) Hendry is in his school Place
3) SMP N 5 Taman is in Pemalang Place
4) Lake Toba is in North Sumatra Place
5) SMPN 7 is on Jl. Pemuda Place
6) The post office is next to the bank Place
7) We are from Indonesia Place
8) It is 9.15 a.m. time
SUBJECT TOBE NOUN / NOUN PHRASE ADVERB of PLACE
1) Tina is a student
2) James and his wife are a happy couple
3) SMP Putra Pertiwi is a good junior secondary school in West Jakarta
4) Hendry is a diligent and smart student in his school
SUBJECT ADVERBS of
She likes reading stories
He usually gets up at 4.00 a.m. every morning
He always goes to school by bus
He has curly brown hair
Her friends often ask for her helps
They like her
We learn different kind of subjects
43. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
ADVERB OF MANNER
Adjective Adverb of Manner
1. My son is very quiet He speaks quietly
2. He is a slow driver He drives slowly
3. He is a fast runner He run fast
Adjective memberi sifat pada kata benda Adverb memberi keterangan pada kata kerja (Verb)
Example: Peter is a bad tennis player. Peter plays tennis badly
1. He’s a dangerous driver. He drives -------------
2. She’s a fast swimmer. She swims ---------------
3. Martin is a good cook. ----------------------------
4. I’m a slow writer. ----------------------------------
5. She’s a wonderful dancer. ------------------------
6. Sheila is a hard worker. ---------------------------
7. They aren’t quick learners. -----------------------
Choose the correct words to complete the sentences.
1. The students are studying in the library. They are studying ____.
2. My mum usually drives ____.
3. We don't have much time. You need to eat ___.
4. After her cat got killed, she sat in her room crying _____.
5. She shouted ___ when she heard that she'd passed the exams.
6. He was driving ___ when his car crashed.
7. It was a beautiful summer afternoon with the sun shining____.
8. She was ____ waiting for him to arrive.
9. Thank God! A policeman brought her home _____.
10. _______ she was getting better after having some medicines
EXAMPLES OF DESCRIPTIVE TEXT
Safari Park or Taman Safari is a quite unique zoo.
It lies about 90 kilometers from Jakarta. It lies in Cisarua, Bogor, about two kilometers from Puncak.
This zoo reminds us of the similar park in Kenya, Africa.
Although it is not as large as the one in Kenya, we can still enjoy
the park which is about one hundred hectares. In conventional zoos,
the animals are in cages, but not in the Safari Park; they wander
freely. Visitors are in buses or cars. They are not allowed to get off
the cars or buses. Visitors who don't have cars can use the touring
buses available at the park.
1. Which statement is true based on the text? Safari Park is ...
A. is the largest park in the world.
B. as large as the park in Kenya, Africa.
C. is smaller than the park in Kenya, Africa.
D. is the same size as the park in Kenya, Africa.
44. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Barong dance-drama is one of the most popular dances in Bali.
The dance enacts a battle between good and evil. The dancers appeal to
the spirit world during performances. The barong dance-drama is believed to
exorcise evil spirits from the village. The Barong dance-drama depicts a struggle
between the witch Rangda and the barong, a mythical and benevolent beast.
2. From the text we can draw a conclusion that ... .
A. Barong dance is not well-known in Bali
B. There are more than one popular dances in Bali
C. Barong Dance is known by few Balinese people
D. Barong dance-drama is the most popular dance in Bali
Natural Bridge National Park is a luscious tropical rainforest.
It is located 110 kilometers south of Brisbane and is
reached by following the Pacific Highway to Nerang and then by
travelling through the Numinbah Valley. This scenic roadway
lies in the shadow of the Lamington National Park.
The phenomenon of the rock formed into a natural arch
and the cave through which a waterfall cascades is a short 1
kilometer walk below a dense rainforest canopy from the main
picnic area. Swimming is permitted in the rock pools. Night-time
visitors to the cave will discover the unique feature of the glow
Picnic areas offer toilets, barbecues, shelter sheds, water and fire places; however, overnight
camping is not permitted.
3. What does the text tell us about?
A. Natural Bridge National Park
B. The phenomenon of the rock
C. tropical rainforests
D. Picnic areas
Tanah Lot is a well-known tourist resort in Bali. It really
has a very lovely scenery with its natural beach. The rocks on
the beach make it more beautiful. On one of the rocky hill, there
is a pura called ‗Pura Tanah Lot‘. It is the place where the
Hinduism followers do their prayer.
4. Based on the text, which statement is correct?
A. Tanah Lot is a popular tourist resort in Bali.
B. Tanah Lot is not a popular tourist resort in Bali.
C. Bali is a well-known tourist resort in Tanah Lot.
D. Bali is not well-known because of Tanah Lot.
5. Tanah lot has a very lovely view. The word 'view' has a similar meaning with ...
6. Where is the Pura Tanah Lot?
A. beside a rocky hill
B. behind a rocky hill
C. under a rocky hill
D. on a rocky hill
Javan rhinoceros is one kind of the rare
rhinoceroses in the world. It is comparatively small and
slender. It's about 1.7 meters high. Males have a single
horn up to 10 inches in length. Females are usually
hornless. Like other kinds of rhinoceros, javan
rhinoceros eats grass and spends most time in water.
Formerly the Javan rhinoceros lived in Myanmar, Indocina, the Malay Peninsula, Java, and
Sumatra. It's now relatively scarce. People hunted them for their horns. We only find them in
Ujungkulon, West Java now.
7. Based on the text, which one of the following statements is correct?
A. Javan rhinoceros is very big.
B. Javan rhinoceroses are rare animals.
C. Male Javan rhinoceroses are hornless.
D. People hunted Javan rhinoceroses for their skin.
45. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
8. The Females are usually hornless. The word 'hornless' means ....
A. having many horns
B. having two horns
C. having only one horn
D. having no horn
9. It is comparatively small and slender. What is the synonim of the underlined word?
10. It's now relatively ...(2nd paragraph). What does the word 'it' refer to?
A. Javan Rhinoceros' horn
B. Javan Rhinoceros
C. Malay Peninsula
The rafflesia arnoldi is the biggest flower in the world. It is unusual
because of its large size. The flower is almost 100 centimeters in diameter
and 140 centimeters in height.
"Rafflesia" is derived from the name of the British Governor General,
Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, who once governed and built the Botanical
Garden in Bogor. Though it is called Rafflesia after Raffles, the man who
discovered the plant was Beccary, an Italian botanist who visited Sumatra in
Rafflesia consists of two parts : the stick-like part which grows in the
middle and the petals around and below it.
While the flower is blossoming, it has a very unpleasant smell which affects
insects, especially green flies. They seem eager to explore the flower. But if the
flies touch the bottom part of the sticklike centre, they die.
11. What is the suitable tittle for the text?
A. Stamford Raffles
B. Italian Botanist
C. Rafflesia Arnoldi
D. Botanical Garden
12. Which statement is correct based on the text?
A. Beccary built the Botanical Garden.
B. Stamford Raffles is an Italian botanist.
C. Berccary discovered Rafflesia Arnoldi.
D. Rafflesia Arnoldi has a very nice smell.
13. Rafflesia arnoldi is unusual because of its.... size.
14. The word 'They' in the last paragraph refers to ....
A. the green flies
B. the parts of rafflesia
C. the petal
D. Stamford Raffles and Beccary
The Bogor Botanical Gardens is located 60 km south of the capital of Jakarta in Bogor. The
botanical gardens is situated in the city center of Bogor.
The garden covers more than 80 hectares. It was built by Java's
Dutch Governor-General Gustaaf Willem, Baron van Imhoff who
was governor of Java at the time.
The garden officially opened in 1817. It was used to research
and develop plants and seeds from other parts of the Indonesian
archipelago. This is a tradition that continues today and contributes
to the garden reputation as a major center for botanical research.
Today the garden contains more than 15,000 species of trees and plants. There are 400 types of
palms. These plants help the garden creates a refuge for more than 50 different varieties of birds and
bats. The bats can be known by the noise they make while competing for space.
15. What does the text mainly talk about?
A. The garden founder.
B. The width of the gardens
C. The Bogor Botanical Gardens.
D. The plants and animals in the gardens.
46. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
16. How many types of palms are there in the Bogor Botanical Gardens?
A. 15 types.
B. 50 types.
C. 60 types.
D. 400 types
17. ―These plants help the gardens create a refuge for ...‖ What does the underlined word mean?
Taj Mahal is regarded as one of the eight wonders of the world. It was built by a Muslim Emperor Shah
Jahan in the memory of his dear wife at Agra.
Taj Mahal is a Mausoleum that houses the grave of queen
Mumtaz Mahal. The mausoleum is a part of a vast complex
comprising of a main gateway, an elaborate garden, a mosque (to
the left), a guest house (to the right), and several other palatial
buildings. The Taj is at the farthest end of this complex, with the
river Jamuna behind it.
The Taj stands on a raised, square platform (186 x 186 feet)
with its four corners truncated, forming an unequal octagon. The
architectural design uses the interlocking arabesque concept, in
which each element stands on its own and perfectly integrates with
the main structure. It uses the principles of self-replicating geometry
and a symmetry of architectural elements.
Its central dome is fifty-eight feet in diameter and rises to a height of 213 feet. It is flanked by four
subsidiary domed chambers. The four graceful, slender minarets are 162.5 feet each. The central domed
chamber and four adjoining chambers include many walls and panels of Islamic decoration.
Taj Mahal is built entirely of white marble. Its stunning architectural beauty is beyond adequate
description, particularly at dawn and sunset. The Taj seems to glow in the light of the full moon. On a foggy
morning, the visitors experience the Taj as if suspended when viewed from across the Jamuna river.
18. What does the text tell us about?
A. Taj Mahal
B. Shah Jahan
C. A Mausoleum
D. The eight wonders
19. What is the main idea of the last paragraph?
A. The Taj seems to glow at night.
B. The architectural beauty of Taj Mahal.
C. The view from across the Jamuna river.
D. Taj Mahal is made entirely of white marble.
20. ...as one of the eight wonders of the world. (par.1)
What does the underlined word mean? It means ....
Write the meaning of the following words in Indonesian.
1. palm fiber
6. wood mask
7. colorful paper strings
8. bamboo structure
9. a giant doll
10. a horrible face
11. A pair of ondel-ondel
12. child circumcision
14. old days people
47. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
No pain, no gain :
If we do not do hard work, and suffer some pain, we will achieve or gain
18. circumcised boy
21. opening ceremony
A. Study the passive forms of the underlined phrase.
1) The male ondel-ondel is dressed like a man.
2) Its head is decorated with colorful paper strings.
3) Ondel-ondel is made of bamboo structure.
4) Its face is made of wood mask.
5) A pair of ondel-ondel are usually
to celebrate a child circumcision.
6) Now ondel-ondel is performed
to welcome guests in opening
ceremonies held in Jakarta and places
SUBJECT BE VERB3 OBJECT/COMPLEMENT
I failed in some subjects in exam, but my
friend passed in all. Now he is an engineer in
Microsoft, and I am the owner of Microsoft
– Bill Gates
Don’t be afraid of advanced slowly, be afraid of nothing progress
Jangan takut bila maju perlahan, takutlah bila tidak ada kemajuan.
"Use your time wisely and do not waste even for a minute."
Gunakan waktumu dengan bijak dan jangan sia-siakan meskipun hanya satu menit.
48. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
INSTRUCTIONS : Read the following narrative texts and then choose the best answer a, b, c, or d.
Onde-ondel is very popular in Jakarta. It is a giant doll with a horrible face. The male ondel-ondel is
dressed like a man. He has a sword at his hip and a shawl over his shoulder. Its head is decorated with
colorful paper strings.
Ondel-ondel is made of bamboo structure. Its face is made of wood
mask. Its hair is made of palm fibre. A man inside the structure moves it.
The movement is very clumsy. Its arms are dropping.
A pair of ondel-ondel are usually performed to celebrate a child
circumcision. Traditional music, i.e. gambang keromong, qasidah, tanjidor
or gendang pencak, accompanies the procession. Of course children are
interested in following it.
In the old days people believed that in couple of ondel-ondel were the manifestation of a god and a
goddess who would protect the circumcised boy from danger or evil. Now ondel-ondel is performed to
welcome guests in opening ceremonies held in Jakarta and places nearby.
1. Which part of ondel-ondel is frightening ?
A. Its shoulder
B. Its head
C. Its face
D. Its hip
2. What is the main idea of paragraph 2 ?
A. What ondel-ondel is for
B. Who moves ondel-ondel
C. How to move ondel-ondel
D. What ondel-ondel is made of
3. “A god and a goddess would protect the circumcised boy”.
From the sentence we know that the god and the goddess would … .
A. make the circumcised boy safe
B. kill the circumcised boy
C. hit the circumcised boy
D. circumcise the boy
4. It is a giant doll with a horrible face. What is the synonym of the underlined word ?
5. What is the purpose of the text?
A. To describe about ondel-ondel
B. To entertain people with ondel-ondel
C. To frighten children with ondel-ondel
D. To tell steps of the ondel-ondel show
6. “A man inside the structure moves it”
What does 'it' (2nd paragraph) refer to?
7. Based on the text, which statement is NOT TRUE?
A. Ondel-ondel is made of bamboo.
B. Ondel-ondel's face is made of wood-
C. Ondel-ondel is welknown in Jakarta.
D. Ondel-ondel is not popular in Jakarta.
8. Ondel-ondel is a very popular giant doll with a horrible face.
The ' giant ' means ... .
A. very big
B. very small
Everyday the students put on the school uniform, white and white for every Monday, white and
blue for every Tuesday to Thursday, Batik and blue for every Friday and the scout uniform and the
PMR uniform for every Saturday.
9. What days do the students wear the white and blue uniform?
A. Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
B. Monday, Thursday and Saturday
C. Tuesday, Monday, and Wednesday
D. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
10. The students wear ... every Friday.
A. batik and blue
B. scout uniform
C. white and blue
D. white and white
49. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Jakarta, formerly Batavia, is the capital and largest city of the Republic of Indonesia. It is located on
the northwest coast of Java Island at the mouth of the Ciliwung River. Jakarta dominates Indonesia's
administrative, economic, and cultural activities, and is a major commercial and transportation hub within
Asia. The climate is hot and humid. Rainfall occurs throughout the year. The heaviest rainfall occurs from
November to May. The city lies on a flat and low plain. That is why flood disaster often happens during the
periods of heavy rainfall.
Jakarta is a magnet for migrants from other areas of Indonesia; during the late 1980s an estimated
two hundreds and fifty migrants arrived daily.
At the 1990 census, DKI Jakarta had a population of 8,259,266. The 1997 population was
9,341,400. These figures do not include seasonal residents who may number more than1 million.
11. How is the climate in Jakarta?
A. cool and fresh
B. hot and fresh
C. hot and humid
D. cool and humid
12. Heavy rainfall possibly takes place in Jakarta on ….
A. December, January, February
B. June, July, August
C. April, May, June
D. May, June, July
13. Flood often happens in Jakarta, because ….
A. Jakarta lies on a flat low plain
B. Jakarta is a metropolitan city.
C. Jakarta is the capital city.
D. Jakarta is high populated
14. The city lies on a flat and low plain. The closest meaning to the underlined word is ….
Dea is a very good and helpful student.
She is in Year Seven at Mondial Lower Secondary School. Her teacher is very proud
of her because she is very good at Mathematics, English and Science. Her friends often ask for
her helps to solve math problems. They all like her and so do the teachers.
Now she is thirteen years old. She is tall. Her hair is long. She is not fat. She is diligent
and kind. She is also very helpful to her friends. She likes reading stories, cycling and playing
15. What is the text about?
A. It tells about Dea‘s hobby.
B. It describes about a life of a student.
C. It tells a story about a girl named, Dea.
D. It describes about Dea, a very good and helpful student.
16. ‖…Her teacher is very proud of her because…‖ The underlined word means….
17. ‖... They all like her and so do the teachers.‖
The underlined word means ..
A. Dea and her teacher
B. Dea and her friends
C. Her teachers
D. Her friends
18. Which statement is Not True about the text?
A. Nobody likes her because she is very helpful
B. She is very good at 3 subjects at school
C. She has a long hair and slim body
D. She is thirteen years old
50. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
My friend, Hendry, is a diligent and smart student in his school. He gets up at 4.00 a.m. every morning.
He always goes to school earlier than his friends. He goes to school by public transport and he sometimes
goes home by motorcycle with his uncle. He‘s never absent. After school he usually helps his parents . They
have a cloth store beside their house. In the evening he studies his lesson and he does the assignments given
by his teacher. He seldom watches TV. He hardly ever goes to bed late.
19. How does Hendry go to school?
A. by bus
B. on foot
C. by his car
D. by motorcycle
20. What is Hendry like?
A. He is diligent and smart student.
B. He goes to school with his uncle.
C. He‘s sometimes absent in his classroom.
D. He does his assignment after going back from school.
21. ―After school he usually helps his parents.‖ Line 4
The underlined words can be replaced with …
A. His father and grandfather.
B. His mother and grandmother.
C. His father and mother.
D. His brother and sister.
This is SMP Putra Pertiwi. It is a good junior secondary school in West Jakarta. The students of this
school come here everyday. They do a lot of activities. They learn different kind of subjects, such as
mathematics, Indonesia language, biology, and English.
My name‘s Jessica. I‘ve got a sister, her name is Sandra. We both have long fair hair and big blue eyes.
We look like our Dad, Ben. I have a brother called Magnus and he has short dark hair and he wears glasses.
He looks like my mother, he has her long nose and small brown eyes. My family are all tall and slim, except
me, I‘m medium height. I also have my mother‘s nose. Sandra is very pretty; she has lots of good friends.
I‘ve only got one best friend. His name is Peter. He‘s good looking and very nice.
I‘ve got two aunts and an uncle. Aunty Monica has got long, curly
dark hair and uncle Alex has medium-length, short straight hair. He‘s very
handsome. They‘ve got two beautiful young children. Aunty Josephine is
only 21. She hasn‘t got any children yet, but she‘s got a rabbit. She has
lovely, long straight dark hair, big dark eyes, and a lovely smile
.(Reference: ESIS Student‘s Book VII Grade)
22. What does the text tell you?
A. All about Jessica
B. Identity and family
C. School Life and friends
D. Jessica‘s aunty and uncle
23. Which is not true according to the text above?
A. Jessica looks like Ben
B. Sandra has lots of good friends
C. Aunty Josephine has got a rabbit
D. Jessica has a sister but no brother
Lake Toba is the largest lake in Southeast Asia. It is on the altitude of 800 meters above sea
level, 100 kilometers long, and 30 meters wide. It is situated in the caldera of the huge Toba
volcano which erupted approximately 75,000 years ago.
24. The text tells you about … .
A. Lake Toba
B. The huge volcano
C. A large lake in South Asia
D. The altitude of Lake Toba
25. The word volcano has the same meaning with a/an … .
A. dormant volcano
B. active mountain
C. huge volcano
26. The synonym of erupted is … .
27. The word approximately has the closest meaning with … .
B. the same
D. more or less
51. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Thanksgiving Day is a day for giving thanks to God for the blessing during the year. It is
celebrated once a year.
The holiday is celebrated in the United States and Canada. On this day, people give thanks by
feasting and praying.
Thanksgiving is usually a family day. Families enjoy big dinners and joyous reunions. The
tables are crowded with delicious food to eat.
28. How often do American and Canadian people have a Thanksgiving Day?
29. Why do they celebrate Thanksgiving Day?
A. By feasting and praying
B. They bless God during the year
C. They thank to God for the blessing
D. By big dinners and joyous reunions
Kuta beach is perfect for beach lovers, family holiday and a paradise for the surfers. It is still the
most favorite destination in Indonesia for foreigners or Indonesian. Kuta becah become one of
popular tourist destinations for those who would like to enjoy the beauty of the beach, sunset and the
hustle and bustle of nightlife in Kuta and Legian area. Not only that ,tourists have a chance to
explore Bali island during the day, to view and feel the characters of Balinese custom and culture
which are very unique. The friendly people, cosy atmosphere and amazing landscapes are really
irresistible for us to visit. So welcome to this paradise.
30. The text above tells us about Kuta as ...
A. a paradise
B. the cosy place
C. amazing landscape
D. one of popular tourist destinations
SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
1) You speak English.
2) Do you speak English?
3) You do not speak English.
Positive Negative Question
I do not run.
You do not run.
We do not run.
They do not run.
He does not run.
She does not run.
It does not run.
Do I run?
Do you run?
Do we run?
Do they run?
Does he run?
Does she run?
Does it run?
S + Verb1
S + Verb1+s/es
S + do not +Verb1
S + does not +Verb1
Do + S +Verb1
Does + S +Verb1
52. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Positive Negative Question
He has. *
She has. *
It has. *
I do not have.
You do not have.
We do not have.
They do not have.
He does not have.
She does not have.
It does not have.
Do I have?
Do you have?
Do we have?
Do they have?
Does he have?
Does she have?
Does it have?
S + have
S + has
S + do not + have
S + does not + have
Do + S+ have
Does+ S+ have
Positive Negative Question
I am not.
You are not.
We are not.
They are not.
He is not.
She is not.
It is not.
USE 1 Repeated Actions
1) I play tennis.
2) She does not play tennis.
3) Does he play tennis?
4) The train leaves every morning at 8 AM.
5) The train does not leave at 9 AM.
6) When does the train usually leave?
7) She always forgets her purse.
8) He never forgets his wallet.
9) Every twelve months, the Earth circles the
10) Does the Sun circle the Earth?
USE 2 Facts or Generalizations
1. Cats like milk.
2. Birds do not like milk.
3. Do pigs like milk?
4. California is in America.
5. California is not in the United Kingdom.
6. Windows are made of glass.
7. Windows are not made of wood.
8. New York is a small city.
53. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
USE 3 Scheduled Events in the Near Future
USE 4 Future:
1) The train leaves tonight at 6 PM.
2) The bus does not arrive at 11 AM, it arrives at 11 PM.
3) When do we board the plane?
4) The party starts at 8 o'clock.
5) When does class begin tomorrow?
USE 4 Now (Non-Continuous Verbs)
1. I am here now.
2. She is not here now.
3. He needs help right now.
4. He does not need help now.
5. He has his passport in his hand.
6. Do you have your passport with you?
ADVERB OF FREQUENCY
The examples below show the placement for grammar adverbs such as: always, only, never, ever, still, just,
1. Simple Present
Active Once a week, Tom cleans the house.
Passive Once a week, the house is cleaned by Tom.
2. Present Continuous
Active Right now, Sarah is writing the letter.
Passive Right now, the letter is being written by Sarah.
3. Simple Past
Active Sam repaired the car.
Passive The car was repaired by Sam.
4. Past Continuous
Active The salesman was helping the customer when the thief came
into the store.
Passive The customer was being helped by the salesman when the thief
came into the store.
54. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
5. Present Perfect
Active Many tourists have visited that castle.
Passive That castle has been visited by many tourists.
6. Past Perfect
Active George had repaired many cars before he received his
Passive Many cars had been repaired by George before he
received his mechanic's license.
7. Simple Future
Active Someone will finish the work by 5:00 PM.
Passive The work will be finished by 5:00 PM.
8. Simple Future
be going to
Active Sally is going to make a beautiful dinner tonight.
Passive A beautiful dinner is going to be made by Sally tonight.
9. Future Continuous
Active At 8:00 PM tonight, John will be washing the dishes.
Passive At 8:00 PM tonight, the dishes will be being washed by
10. Future Continuous
be going to
Active At 8:00 PM tonight, John is going to be washing the
Passive At 8:00 PM tonight, the dishes are going to be being
washed by John.
Passive: S + Be + Verb3
A. Rewrite the following sentences into passive:
1. The boy writes poems.
2. The girl drove the blue car.
3. They have collected enough money.
4. They will open a new restaurant.
5. The little boy can draw pictures.
6. The guard watched the prisoner.
7. They will not play soccer.
8. They believe that he writes good poems.
B. Rewrite these sentences starting with the words in bold:
1. Her friend gave her a book.
2. They offered him a job.
3. The man showed us the house.
4. My friend gave me a pen.
"Nothing is impossible. Anything can happen as long as we believe. "
Tidak ada yang mustahil. Semua bisa terjadi asalkan kita percaya.
"Do not blame your past, because the past will never change."
Jangan menyalahkan masa lalu anda, karena masa lalu tidak akan pernah berubah.
55. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
DESCRIPTIVE VS REPORT
Descriptive Text Report Text
Sebuah teks yang memberikan penjelasan
hal yang lebih khusus
Sebuah teks yang memberikan penjelasan hal yang
Stallone , My uncle’s horse
Stallone is a stronge horse. It always
helps my uncle every morning. It carries
any fruits to the market. It has a long tail,
strong legs, brown mane, and forelock. It
can run fast. It likes fresh grass and sleeps
in a clean stable
Horses have long necks, hairy coats, and long
tails and manes. A mane is hair that grows on an
animal‘s neck. Horses come in many colors,
including black, brown, tan, and white.
Horses have strong legs and bodies, and they can
travel long distances. When they‘re on the move,
they graze on grasses. Horses also eat oats and other
Untuk memberikan informasi,
menggambarkan, atau menjelaskan
fenomena khusus tentang berbagai hal,
baik masalah lingkungan, pendidikan,
sosial, politik, budaya, manusia, binatang,
benda dan sebagainya.
Untuk memberikan informasi, menggambarkan, atau
menjelaskan fenomena umum tentang berbagai hal,
baik masalah lingkungan, pendidikan, sosial, politik,
buday dan sebagainya.
1) Identification: berisi informasi
umum beserta klasifikasinya.
2) Description : Penjelasan lebih
lanjut tentang sifat, ciri, bentuk
dan penjelasan lainnya.
3) Menggunakan simple present
1) Identification: berisi informasi umum beserta
2) Description : Penjelasan lebih lanjut tentang
sifat, ciri, bentuk dan penjelasan lainnya.
3) Menggunakan simple presentb
Hasil pengamatan, penelaahan, penelitian, observasi, atau studi tentang benda, binatang, orang, atau
tempat. Participant (yang dideskripsikan) pada report cenderung general. Data yang tersaji umumnya berupa
simpulan umum akan karakteristik, ciri, dan atau keberadaan dan keadaan participant.
Tujuan teks report adalah untuk menggambarkan participant apa adanya. Bila yang dibicarakan suatu
benda, teks report lebih menyoroti fungsi dari benda tersebut.
Teks report lazimnya menyodorkan suatu generalisasi akan participant yang diulas; generalisasi ini
umumnya didapat lewat membandingkan yang satu dengan yang lain yang tergolong participant sejenis.
Teks report umumnya memiliki struktur ;
1) general classification; pernyataan umum yang menerangkan subjek laporan, keterangan, dan
2) description; penginformasian ciri-ciri umum/generalisasi yang dimiliki subjek—misalnya sifat-sifat
psikologis, perilaku, tampilan fisik, fitur-fitur khas, kualitas, dan sejenisnya.
3) Teks report umumnya menggunakan Simple Present Tense (Verb1):
a) The butterfly is an insect.
b) Butterfly ‘s wings are a bit like bird wings.
c) Butterflies have an interesting life cycle. They start as eggs.
4) Teks report umumnya menggunakan kalimat pasif (be+Verb3) yaitu suatu kalimat yang lebih
mengedepankan objeknya dari pada subyek pelakunya:
a) Bird wings are made of feathers, but butterfly wings are made of tiny overlapping
b) When they are born, they are what we call caterpillars.
c) These clear stages of changing on the way to adulthood are called metamorphosis.
d) Butterflies can be found almost all over the world.
56. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
The butterfly is an insect. Butterflies are noted for their wings, which are
often colorful and bright.
DESCRIPTION Butterfly wings are a bit like bird wings. Bird wings are
made of feathers, but butterfly wings are made of tiny overlapping
scales. The wings are colored in various patterns. Some butterfly
wings look iridescent (changing rainbow colors, depending on the light)
because of the way light hits the scales.
Butterflies have an interesting life cycle. They start as eggs. When they
are born, they are what we call caterpillars. This is the larval stage for the
caterpillar. The caterpillars then move into a cocoon, becoming what we call a
chrysalis. This is the pupal stage. When the insect comes out of the cocoon, we
call it a butterfly. This is the adult stage for the butterfly. These clear stages of
changing on the way to adulthood are called metamorphosis. Many animals go
through metamorphosis, but the butterfly‘s changes are more dramatic than
Butterflies can be found almost all over the world. There may be as many
as twenty thousand different species of butterflies.
Butterflies usually eat flower nectar. Because of this, they are important
to the life cycle of many flowers. Butterflies also need minerals, which
they usually get from water found in dirt and sand. They reach their adult stage
in the summer. Some butterflies migrate. The Monarch butterflies migrate
about 3000 miles (4800 km) every year. They fly between Mexico and
1. What kind of animal is a butterfly?
A. A bird
B. An insect
C. A spider
D. A mammal
2. Which of the following about butterfly wings is TRUE?
A. They are made of scales.
B. They are just like bird wings.
C. They are the colors of the rainbow.
D. The wings are covered with same pattern.
3. The butterfly life cycle is ... .
A. Egg, caterpillar, chrysalis, butterfly
B. Larval, pupal, crystal, adult
C. Egg, insectal, pupal, adult
D. Chrysalis, Egg, butterfly
4. Metamorphosis is…
A. a major change.
B. the process of growing up.
C. the adult stage for the butterfly
D. turning from one thing into another.
5. Where can you find butterflies?
A. The butterfly habitat is anywhere it is warm.
B. You can find them in forests and tundra regions.
C. Butterflies are restricted to the Americas.
D. Butterflies can be found almost all over the world.
6. It belongs to reptile; it has for legs. it use it tail as weapon when it fights. it is originally from
one of the island of the Indonesia Archipelago. People call its name the same as its place of
7. Choose the suitable word to complete the text.
Fish are animals that live and breathe in water. Some fish live in the ......(7)....water of lakes
and streams. Some fish live in the salt water of oceans. A few fish can live in both kinds of
57. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
8. Choose the suitable word to complete the text.
There are hundreds of different kinds of snakes. Not all of them are poisonous. And not all
poisonous snakes ...(8)..... their victims. One snake, called the spitting cobra, has found another way
to kill its victim. It spits venom through the air It can spit accurately from more than 30 centimeters
away from its victim. The cobra aims between the eyes of its victim, blinding the animal, and
keeping it from escaping.
9. Rearrange these sentences to make a good paragraph.
1) Jellyfish have stomach and mouth, but no heads.
2) They are invertebrate animals.
3) They are made almost entirely of water, which is why you can look through them.
4) This means that unlike fish or people, they have no backbones.
5) Jellyfish are not really fish.
6) In fact, they have no bones at all.
7) They have nervous system for sensing the world around them, but no brains.
A. 5 – 2 – 4 – 6 – 1 – 7 – 3
B. 5 – 2 – 4 – 6 – 1 – 3 – 7
C. 1 – 2 – 4 – 6 – 3 – 7 – 5
D. 1 – 2 – 4 – 6 – 5 – 7 – 3
Koala is a tree-dwelling marsupial with a specialized diet consisting almost exclusively of the leaves
of eucalyptus trees. Koalas are native to Australia, where they are sometimes called koala bears or native
bears, although koalas are not related to bears. Bears are placental mammals—their young develop fully
inside the mother‘s body, nourished by a spongy organ called the placenta. As marsupial mammals, young
koala are born while still in an undeveloped state. Newborn koalas complete their development inside a
pouch on the mother‘s abdomen.
Few wild animals rival the koala bear in popularity and recognition. Its teddy-bear appearance
inspires human affection and intense concern for its survival, as more and more eucalyptus forests are cleared
to make room for farmland, housing, and industry.
10. The text is about .. .
C. A marsupial.
D. Eucalyptus trees.
11. What other name is used to call koala?
A. Placental mammal
B. Wild animal
C. Native bear
12. ― - their young develop fully inside the mother‘s body, …‖ (Paragraph 1)
What does the underlined word refer to?
C. Eucalyptus trees
D. Marsupial mammals
Trees are plants. They are usually tall and have a main stem called a trunk. They come in many
colors and sizes. The tallest trees are the tallest plants on Earth. Some trees can grow as tall as a
soccer field length. Trees grow everywhere on Earth, except for deserts at the equator and the North
and South poles.
13. What is the text about?
14. What is a trunk?
A. Trees or plants
B. A soccer field length
C. The main stem of a tree
D. The equator, the North and South poles
15. The word ‗deserts‘ in the text means ….
A. a land which is higher than a hill
B. a land covered with trees and shrub
C. a body of water in the middle of land
D. an arid region with little or no vegetation
58. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
A crocodilian is a reptile that has a rough, scaly skin and thick, bony plates along its back and tail.
Alligators are crocodilians. So are crocodiles, caimans, and gavials.
Like other reptiles, crocodilians lay eggs and breathe air through lungs. They are also cold-blooded. Their
body temperatures change with the air and water temperatures around them. They lie in the sun to warm up,
and they swim to cool off.
When you look at a crocodilian, you may think you are looking at a dinosaur. In a way, you are.
Crocodilians have been around for millions of years. In fact, they are the only surviving members of the
brachiosaurs, the dinosaurs known as the ruling reptiles.
16. What is the text about?
A. What a crocodilian is
B. How a crocodilian breathes
C. Crocodilians as members of brachiosaurs
D. Alligators, crocodiles, caimans, and
17. ―…, they are the only surviving members of the brachiosaurs, …‖
What does the underlined word mean?
Tree is the largest of all plants. The tallest tree grows over 61 meters in height. Many trees also live
longer than other plants. Some trees live for thousands of years. They are the oldest living things that man
People think that trees are different from other plants. Most of other plants grow only for a short time and
then die. People think of trees as a permanent part of the landscape. Trees continue to grow as long as they
live. They grow new lives and flowers. Leaves of a tree make food. The food keeps the tree alive and helps it
grow. The flowers grow into fruits; the fruits contain seeds for making new trees.
Trees are different from other plants like herbs and shrubs. Most trees grow at least 4.6 to 6.1 meters,
but herbs and shrub are much shorter then trees. Trees have one woody stem, which is called a trunk. Herbs
have soft and juicy stems. Shrubs are like trees, they have woody stem, but most shrubs have more than one
stem, and none of the stems of the shrubs grows so thick or tall as a tree trunk
There are thousands of kinds of trees. But, most trees belong to one of two main groups. They are
broad leaf trees and needle leaf trees. These two types of trees grow in many parts of the world. Most other
types of trees, such as palms and tree ferns, grow mainly in warm region.
18. What do leaves of a tree make?
19. One of these statements is true according to the text.
A. All plants grow over 61 meters tall
B. Trees grow new leaves and flowers to make food
C. People think that trees live longer than other plants
D. These are only two kinds of trees, big trees, and small trees
Most people don't notice that giraffes have different patterns of spots. Certain
species of giraffes have small spots. Other species have large spots. Some species
have spots that are very regular. You can tell where one spot ends and another
Other species have spot that are kind of blotchy. This means the spots are not set off from each other as
clearly. These are only two of many kinds of spots. The pattern of a giraffes' spots is called "marking'. No
two giraffes have exactly the same marking.
Giraffe's spots help them to blend in with their surroundings in Africa where they live. Being able to
blend with surroundings help animals survive. If a lion can't see a giraffe, he certainly can't eat it. This is
called 'protective coloration'. The animal's colour helps to protect it.
Another thing that protect giraffes is their keen eyesight. Their large eyes are on the sides of their heads.
Giraffes see anything that moves. They can see another animal a mile away. It is very hard to sneak up on a
giraffe. Those who try usually get a quick kick with a powerful back leg.
20. What is protective coloration?
A. An ability to see from long distance
B. an ability to blend with surroundings
C. The colour pattern of giraffe's spots
D. The way to protect certain species
21. Giraffes protect themselves with their ...
A. back legs
B. front legs
C. long necks
D. small tails
59. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Snakes are reptiles (cold-blooded creatures). They belong to the
same group as lizards (the scaled group, Sumatra) but form a sub-group
of their own (Serpents).
Snakes have two legs but long time ago they had claws to help
them slither along. Snakes are not slimy. They are covered in scales
which are just bumps on the skin. Their skin is hard and glossy to
reduce friction as the snake slithers along the ground.
Snakes often sun bake on rocks in the warm weather. This is because snakes are cold-blooded and
they need the sun‘s warmth to heat their body up. Most snakes live in the country. Some types of snakes live
in trees; some live in water, but most live on the ground in deserted rabbit burrows, in thick, long grass and in
old logs. A snake‘s diet usually consists of frogs, lizard, and mice and other snakes.
Many snakes protect themselves with their fangs. Boa Constrictors can give you a bear hug which is
so powerful it can crush every single bone in your body. Some snakes are protected by scaring their enemies
away like the Cobra.
The Flying snakes glide away from danger. Their ribs…apart and the skin stretches out. Its technique
is just like the sugar glider‘s.
22. What is the main idea of the second paragraph?
A. The habit of snakes
B. The description of their bodies
C. How snakes protect themselves
D. The general classification of snakes
Dinosaurs were a type of lizards. They lived from about 230 million to
about 65 million years ago. In 1842, Sir Richard Owen created the word
dinosaur. It came from Greek words denies, meaning ―terrible‖ and saguaros,
meaning ―lizard‖. Dinosaurs lived on earth for about 140 million years.
During the dinosaurian era, the days were short. The sun was not as hot
as it is today. On earth there was only one big continent and one big ocean.
The name of the continent was panged (all lands) and the name of the ocean was panthallassa (all seas).
There were many kinds of dinosaurs. Some of them were very big and some others were small. Some
dinosaurs ate leaves and some others ate meat. Some dinosaurs could fly.
What happened to dinosaurs? Dinosaurs became extinct because there was a large comet hitting the earth.
The comet caused fire and it killed the trees. Dinosaurs could not eat because there were no trees on earth and
finally they died and became extinct.
23. The writer wrote the text ….
A. to describe what the dinosaurs looks like
B. to show the steps how to measure
C. to inform people about dinosaurs and their
D. to amuse people by showing the
24. ‖ The comet caused fire and it killed the trees.‖ (Paragraph 4)
What does the underlined word refer to?
D. The earth
25. What is the main idea of paragraph 3?
A. There were many kinds of dinosaurs
B. Some dinosaurs could fly in the sky
C. Many dinosaurs were small in form
D. Dinosaurs ate leaves and mea
IRREGULAR VERB LIST
60. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
Meaning in Indonesian
1 Bet Bet Bet
2 cut cut cut
3 fit fit fit
4 hit hit hit
5 let let let
6 put put put
7 quit quit quit
8 set set set
9 shut shut shut
10 split split split
11 upset upset upset
12 burst burst burst
13 cast cast cast
14 cost cost cost
15 hurt hurt hurt
16 spread spread spread
17 knit knit/knitted knit/knitted
18 sit sat sat
19 spit spat/spit spat/spit
20 begin began begun
21 swim swam swum
22 ring rang rung
23 sing sang sung
24 spring sprang sprung
25 sting stung stung
26 swing swung swung
27 hang hung/hanged** hung/hanged
28 drink drank drunk
29 shrink shrank shrunk
30 stink stank stunk
31 think thought thought
32 bring brought brought
33 buy bought bought
34 seek sought sought
35 fight fought fought
36 catch caught caught
37 teach taught taught
38 creep crept crept
39 keep kept kept
40 sleep slept slept
41 sweep swept swept
42 weep wept wept
43 bleed bled bled
44 breed bred bred
45 feed fed fed
46 flee fled fled
47 lead led led
48 speed sped/speeded sped/speeded
49 meet met met
50 bend bent bent
51 lend lent lent
52 send sent sent
53 spend spent spent
54 deal dealt dealt
55 feel felt felt
56 kneel knelt knelt
57 dream dreamt/dreamed dreamt/dreamed
58 mean meant meant
61. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
59 spill spilt/spilled spilt/spilled
60 build built built
61 burn burnt/burned burnt/burned
62 hold held held
63 sell sold sold
64 tell told told
65 find found found
66 grind ground ground
67 wind wound wound
68 break broke broken
69 choose chose chosen
70 freeze froze frozen
71 speak spoke spoken
72 steal stole stolen
73 wake woke woken
74 weave wove woven
75 arise arose arisen
76 drive drove driven
77 ride rode ridden
78 rise rose risen
79 write wrote written
80 bite bit bitten
81 hide hid hidden
82 slide slid slid
83 get got gotten
84 forget forgot forgotten
85 give gave given
86 forgive forgave forgiven
87 forbid forbade/forbad forbidden
88 fall fell fallen
89 swell swelled swollen
90 dive dove/dived dived
91 blow blew blown
92 fly flew flown
93 grow grew grown
94 know knew known
95 throw threw thrown
96 draw drew drawn
97 withdraw withdrew withdrawn
98 show showed shown
99 eat ate eaten
100 beat beat beaten
101 take took taken
102 forsake forsook forsaken
103 mistake mistook mistaken
104 shake shook shaken
105 make made made
106 swear swore sworn
107 wear wore worn
108 tear tore torn
109 bear bore born
110 stand stood stood
111 understand understood understood
112 become became become
113 come came come
114 run ran run
115 dig dug dug
116 spin spun spun
117 stick stuck stuck
118 strike struck struck/stricken
119 do did done
62. UN PREPARATION smtr 1 /13-14/SMPN 5 TAMAN
120 go went gone
121 have had had
122 hear heard heard
123 lay laid laid
124 pay paid paid
125 say said said
126 lie lay lain
127 light lit/lighted lit/lighted
128 lose lost lost
129 leave left left
130 prove proved proven/proved
131 read read read
132 see saw seen
133 sew sewed sewn/sewed
134 shave shaved shaven/shaved
135 shine shined/shone shined/shone
136 shoot shot < td> shot
137 win won won
138 is/am was been
139 are were been
1. Where there is a will there is a way
"Dimana ada kemauan pasti ada jalan"
2. A friend in needs is a friend indeed
"Seorang teman dalam kebutuhan adalah teman sesungguhya"
3. A man becomes learning by asking question
"Dengan bertanya, orang akan lebih berpengetahuan"
4. A fruitless life is a useless life
"Hidup yang tak menghasilkan apa-apa berarti hidup yang tak berguna"
5. Just be yourself
"Jadilah diri kamu sendiri"
6. Don't judge the book by the cover
"Janganlah melihat buku dari covernya"
7. A bad beginning makes a bad ending
"Awal yang buruk membuat akhir yang buruk pula"
8. The right man is in the right place
"Tempatkan seseorang di tempat yang tepat"
9. Make hay while the sun shines
Kerjakan sesuatu saat waktuknya memungkinkan
10. Knowledge is a treasure, but practice is the key to it
Ilmu pengetahuan adalah harta karun tetapi latihan adalah kunci pembukanya