Amjad B. Khalil
Associate Professor of Biotechnology/
Biotech. Research Group
Post Code 31261
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
Tel. Home : +96638605674
Ph.D. Microbiology/ Molecular Genetics, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago,USA.
Thesis Title: Detection , Isolation , and Regulation of Dicamba Degrading Gene(s) From a
Large Plasmid Found In Pseudomonas-Xanthomonas Maltophilia.
M.S Microbiology/ Molecular Genetics, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago,USA.
Thesis Title: Expression and Preliminary In Vivo Kinetics of cloned HIV-1 Reverse
Transcriptase Gene (Heat Shock Gene) in Escherichia Coli.
B.S., Biology, College of Science and Technology, Al-Quds University, Al-Quds.
Associate Prof. of Biotechnology /Biotech. Resrach Group, College of science , KFUPM.
Sept. 2005-Sept. 2006:
Associate Prof. Faculty of Science, Department of Biotechnology and Genetic Engineering ,
Philadelphia University. Teaching the following courses : Principle of Virology , Microbial
Biotechnology, Forensic Medicine , Micrbiology Molecular biology and General Biology.
Sept.2004- Sept. 2005 :
Assistant Dean, Faculty of Higher Studies and Scientific research, Al-Balqa Applied
University, Al-Salt, Jordan.
Sept. 2001- Sept. 2005
Associate Professor, Department of Biotechnology, Al-Balq Applied University, Al-Salt,
Courses taught: Virology , Advanced Virology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biotechnology ,
Genetic Engineering and Microbial Physiology for graduate level students.
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Pharmacy and Medical Sciences, Amman University,
Courses taught: Microbiology , Medical Microbiology (for Medical Technology students), ,
virology, Molecular Biology, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology , General Biology I, and General
Post-Doctoral Research Scientist, ThermoGen Inc., Chicago,USA.
I worked on a research project that dealt with the molecular genetics of thermophilic bacteria.
Biology Instructor, Olive Harvey College, Chicago, USA.
Courses taught: General Biology, Medical Microbiology, and Molecular Biology.
Assistant Scientist, Institute of Gas Technology, Chicago,USA.
I worked on a research project that dealt with the bioremediation of PCB’s.
Teaching Assistant/Research Assistant, Department of Chemical and Biological Sciences,
Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA.
Courses taught: General Biology, Virology, Microbial Genetics, Microbiology, and Molecular
CONSULTING EXPERIENCE, 1997- 2001
Scientific consultant for Jordan Pharmaceutical Manufacturing ( JPM ).
SUMMARY OF COURSES TAUGHT
General Biology I and II.
Microbial Genetics / Molecular Biology of Thermophilic Bacteria. Production of
antimicrobial agents and thermostable enzymes from thermophilic bacteria.
Microbial Genetics/ Molecular Biology of Herbicide/ Pesticide Degrading Bacteria.
Study of genotyping and production of bioactive agents from medicinal plants.
Member of Society for Molecular Genetics.
Member of Society for Microbiology.
Member of American Association for the Advancement of Sciences.(AAAS).
1. Douglas J. Cork and Amjad Khalil. “Detection Isolation and Stability of Megaplasmid
Encoded Chloroaromatic Herbicide Degrading Genes within Pseudomonas Species,”
Advances in Applied Microbiology. 40, 289-321. 1995.
2. Amjad Khalil, Maher Salim, Abdulkarim Sallal. “Enumeration of Thermotolerant Bacteria
from Recreational Thermal Ponds in Jordan,” Internationa Journal of Cytogenetics and
Biomedical Cell Rresearch. 96, 57-63. 1998.
3. Amjad Khalil. “Genetic Engineering and its Applications in Pharmacy and Medical Sciences,”
Arab Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 1(5), 67-72. 2000.
4. Amjad Khalil, and Douglas Cork. “Plasmid Mediated Catabolism of Dicamba by
Pseudomonas Sp.(Strain PXM),” International Journal of Medical and General
Microbiological Research. 102, 183-189. 2000.
5. Amjad Khalil . Isolation and Charecterization of Thermophilic Bacillus species from thermal
ponds in Jordan. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences. 5(11), 1272-1273. 2002.
6. Amjad Khalil. “Isolation and characterization of 2,4-Diclorophenoxyacetic Acid Metabolizing
Organisms From Soil In Jordan Environment,” Biotechnology.2(2): 73-85. 2003.
7. Amjad Khalil , Ghandi Anfoka , and Salwa Bdour. “Isolation of Plasmids Present in
Thermotolerant and Thermophilic Strains from Hot Springs in Jordan,” World Journal of
Microbiology and Biotechnology. (3),239-241.2003.
8. Ghandi Anfoka, Amjad B. Khalil, and Isam Fatash. ”Detection and Molecular
Characterrization of Phytoplasma Associated With Big Bud Disease of Tomatos in Jordan,”
Journal of Phytopathology. 151(4), 223, 2003.
9. Amjad Khalil , Dhai S. Hassawi and Abeer Kharma. “ Genetic Relationship among Salvia
Spacies and Antimicrobial Activity of their Crude Extract Against Pathogenic bacteria. Asian
Journal of Plant Sciences 4 (5): 544-549, 2005.
10. Amjad Khalil, Basem Dababneh and Ghandi Anfoka . Antifungal Actitvity of Medicinal
Plants from Jordan Environment . Plant Pathology Journal 4 ( 2 ), 130-132, 2005.
11. Amjad Khalil , Mohammad Qaryouti, and Musa Abu Zarqa. “Production of Antimicrobial
Agents From Thermophilic Bacteria.Biotechnology 5 (3): 252-256, 2006
12. Amjad Khalil1 Basem Dababneh . Inhibition of Phytopathogenic Fungi by Extracts from
Medicinal Plants in Jordan. Journal of Biological sciences. 7(3): 579-581, 2007 .
13. Basem Dababneh and Amjad Khalil. The Inhibitory effect of Extracts from Jordanian
Medicinal Plants Against Phytopathogenic Fungi. Plant Pathology Journal. 6(2): 191-194,
14. M. A. Gondal, , A. Khalil (2007) Rapid Disinfection Of E-Coliforms Contaminated Water
Using WO3 Semiconductor Catalyst By Laser Induced Photo-Catalytic Process, Journal of
Environmental Science and Health, Part A, Volume 43, Issue 5 , 2008.
15. Novel Antimicorbial Nanofilms Coatings Using Polyelectrolytes Layer By Layer Technique.
Khaled, M., Abu-Sharkh, B., Khalil, A., Manda, A., Amr, E. International Journal of Nan-
Medicne. The Open Nanomedicine Journal, 2008, 1, 1-4.
16. Amjad Khalil Basem F. Dababneh and Ahmad H. Al-Gabbies. Antimicrobial activity against
Pathogenic Microorganisms by Extracts from Herbal Jordanian Plants. Journal of Food
Agriculture and Environment. Vol.7(2) 103-106. (2009)
CONFERENCES AND SYMPOSIUMS
1. Cork, D.J., Amjad Khalil, and Ken Ofiara. ”Biodegradation of Variety Chlorinated Aromatic
Pesticide and Herbicides.” Institute of Gas Technology Symposium. Chicago.USA. 1992.
2. Khalil, A. ,K. Malinowska, and D.J.Cork. “The Effect of Altenative Carbon Sources on
Dicamba Degradation by Pseudomonas Maltophilia.” Pseudomonas Symposium. Vancouver,
Canada.p. 209. 1993.
3. Khalil Amjad., Parnell Obrien., Samuel Sedita., and Douglas Cork. “Microbial and
Molecular Analysis of Dicamba-Degrading Species.” Society of Industrial Microbiology
Annual Meeting, July 31-August 5, 1994. Boston, MA, USA.
4. Amjad Khalil. “Biodegradation of Chlorinated Herbicide(3,6-Dichloro-2-Methoxy
Benzoate) Using Pseudomanas Strain.” The Future of Biotechnology in Jordan . Al-Albait
5. Amjad Khalil. “Genetic Engineering And Its Application In Biotechnology.”
Pharmaceutical Biotechnology Symposium, Organized by Arab Union of The Manufacturers
of Pharmaceutical and Medical Appliances. 14-15 May, 1997.
6. Amjad Khalil. “Isolation and Characterization of Newly Isolated Thermophilic Bacterial
Strains From Hot Springs In Jordan.” International Congress on Molecular Genetics. Cairo,
Egypt, Feb. 21-25, 1998.
7. Amjad Khalil. “Production of New Antimicrobial Agents From Thermophilic Bacteria
Isolated From Hot Springs in Jordan (1). The second Arab Conference and Exhibition on
Biotechnology and Genetic Endineering. April 2002 , Bahrain.
8. Amjad Khalil , Mohammad Qaryouti, and Musa Abu Zarqa. “Production of Antimicrobial
Agents From Thermophilic Bacteria(2). The Third Arab Symposium for Antimicrobial
Agents. March 25th-27th 2004, Cairo, Egypt.
9. Amjad Khalil. Isolation of three thermophilic bacteria from hot spring in Jordan. Third Suide
science conference.,10-13 MARCH 2007. King Saud University, Riyadh.
FUNDED RESEARCH PROJECTS
1. Project funded by Deanship of Scientific research – KFUPM- PI
Title of the project: Isolation and Characterization of Thermostable enzymes from thermophilic
bacteria isolated from Desert and Hotsprings in Saudi Arabia for industrial applications. 2008.
2. Project Tile : Disinfection of contaminated water by leazer induced photocatalysis process
using Semiconducter Catalysts. KACST- Co-I. 2008.
3. Project title: Microbial Enhanced Oil Recovery. PI. ARAMCO.2008.
LABORATORY MANUALS AND BOOKS
1. Amjad Khalil, Parnell O’Brien, Samuel Dennison, and Douglas Cork. Introduction to
BasicMmicrobialBbiotechnologyPprocedures. 1st Edition, publihsed by the Illinois
Institute of Technology, Chicago, USA, 1994.
2. Amjad Khalil. Basics in Recombinant DNA Technology, 1st Edition, publihsed by Dar Wayl
Pbublishers, Amman, Jordan, 2002.
SUPERVISION OF GRADUATE THESES
1. M.S Thesis, Advisor, Department of Biotechnology / Al-Balqa Applied University.
Title : Isolation and Characterization of Thermophilic Bacteria and Testing Their Ability to
Produce Antimicrobial Agents.
By: Mohammad Al-Qaryouti, April 2004.
2. M.S Thesis, Advisor. Department of Biotechnology / Al-Balqa Applied University.
Title: Isolation and Characterization of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid Degrading
Microorganims from Soil.
By: Arabeih H. Arabeiat, May 2004.
3. M.S Thesis: Coadvisor, Department of Biotechnology / Al-Balqa Applied University.
Title: Isolation and Characterization of Antimicrobial Agents from Medicinal Plants in Jordan.
By: Abeer Kharma, March 2004.
4. M.S Thesis : Advisor, Department of Biotechnology/ Al-Balqa Applied University.
Title : Assessment of genotypic/ phenotypic variations in Pyrin gene (MEFV)
mutations in Jordan with Familial Meditranean Fever.
By : Mohammad Abdulrahman, August 2005.
1. Member, Committee on the Project of the Development of National Biosafety Framework for
Jordan. The Project is one of the main components of GEF’s initial strategy for assisting
countries to prepare for the entry into force of the Cartegena Protocol on Biosafety.
2. External Examiner for Ph.D. Desertation in the Faculty of Agriculture at Jordan University.
Title of the Desertaion : Induced Resistance to Control Bacterial Speck of Tomato:
Pseudomonas. Syrengae PV. Tomato.
By Omar Rajeh Naser, 2002.
3. External Examiner for M.S Thesis in the Faculty of Sciences ( Biology Division ) at Jordan
Thesis Title : Detection of Meca Resitance Gene ( Methecillin ) in Staphyllococcus Aureus,
in Jordan Hospitals.
By Inas Al-Zuby. 2002.
4. External Examiner for Ph.D Thesis in the Faculty of Ariculture at Jordan university.
Thesis Title: Determination and Characterization of Fusarium Oxysporum F.SP
Lycopersici Races in Jordan.
By Mahmoud Al-Khatib, 2004.
5. External Examiner for M.S thesis in Jordan university :
Theis Title: A Comparative Study on Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolated from Human and
By Fuad A. Balkam, 2004.