Forrester Predicts Huge Growth for
Social Media Marketing
Start with the basics; listen to your customer
ARE YOU THERE, RETAIL OWNER?
IT’S ME, YOUR CUSTOMER
Customer service doesn’t end at your doorway.
SHOW YOU CARE, TALK TO YOUR
2009 SM Plan: Get on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube
2010 SM Plan: Develop a Strategy
SM MARKETING EVOLUTION
“If you follow me on Twitter, I do not
own your heart.
I may own your pocketbook
momentarily. And I may own your
attention for five seconds, but that’s it”
writer and pop sociologist
Grand Geneva Resort, Lake Geneva WI
Objective: Grow customer base and
revenue for the Mountain Top Ski Hill
Promotion: Free ski hill access on opening weekend. Only FaceBook
visitors that became fans could download a printable voucher.
Post Event Analysis
Successful campaign by all measurements:
• 1,800 vouchers redeemed
• January ski hill revenue up 9% year-over-year
• Grand Geneva SM community grew 30x
• Online engagement and evangelism have
Anatomy of a Marketing Determine
Your success requires attention to all three.
Marketing Distribution on Social Media
GETTING DOWN TO TACTICS
• Promote Events
• Promote FB page from your website, email,
• Couponing and contests that encourage
participation and grow community
• To engage, share relevant links and stories
from outside your brand
• Target your audience with Facebook Ads
• Monitor and respond to customers
• Locate nearby or frequent customers, tie in
with Foursquare and other location-based
• Supplement Facebook tactics
• Promote and link to other information
• Build a following based on your expertise or a
Do you know the Mayor ? You should…
LOCATION-BASED SOCIAL MEDIA
•Offer a FourSquare deal
•Recognize your Mayor
•Tie in with Twitter
• Have a plan
• Discuss Social Media with your staff
• Make it fun and share the job
• Stay current with changes
Building Community and Driving
Local Business with Social Media
Director of Ecommerce and Performance Marketing at Marcus Hotels
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.