GOVERNMENT ENGINEERING COLLEGE - BHARUCH
Classification and Characteristics of
Nakrani Pratik R. 130140111046
What Is Sound
Classification Of Sound
Classification of Audible Sound
Properties Of Musical Sound
Properties Of Noise
Characteristics Of Musical Sound
Pitch Loudness Timbre
WHAT IS SOUND??
• Sound is a Vibration In an Elastic Medium With
definite Frequency & Intensity…
• Longitudinal wave .
• requires a medium .
• cannot travel in a vacuum.
CLASSIFICATION OF SOUND
f < 20 Hz 20 Hz < f < 20 kHz f > 20 kHz
CLASSIFICATION OF AUDIBLE SOUND
• The Sound Which Produces
Pleasing Effect On The ear is
Called Musical Sound.
• Sounds Of Sitar, Violin,Flute
• The sound That Produces a
jarring effect on the ear and
unpleasant to hear is called
• Sound Of Road
PROPERTIES OF MUSICAL SOUND
• Regular in Shape.
• Have definite Periodicity.
• They do not undergo a sudden change in
• Irregular in Shape.
• Do not have Definite Periodicity.
• They Undergo a Sudden Change In Amplitude.
Properties Of Noise
CHARACTERISTICS OF MUSICAL SOUND
Related To Frequency Of Sound
Related To Intensity Of Sound
Related To Quality Of Sound
• We can describe pitch by frequency.
• Rapid vibrations of the sound source (high frequency)
produce sound of a high pitch.
• Slow vibrations (low frequency) produce a low pitch.
• Different musical notes are obtained by changing the
frequency of the vibrating sound source.
• This is usually done by altering the size, the
tightness, or the mass of the vibrating object.
• High-pitched sounds used in music are most often
less than 4000 Hz, but the average human ear can
hear sounds with frequencies up to 18,000 Hz.
• Loudness is Characteristics which is Common to all
• As we seen Loudness Is
Classified in two types.
• Loudness & Intensity are Releted to each other by
L log I
L = K log I
Where K Is Constant
From The Above Equation…
Therefore, Loudness is physiological Quantity.
• Quality Of Sound Which
Enables us to distinguish
between two sounds having
the same loudness & Pitch.
• Depends on the Presence of
• It helps Us To
notes emitted by
instruments & Voices Of
different Person Even
Though the Sound have