1. THE PLE CONFERENCE 2011<br />A Case of anInstitutional PLE: IntegratingVLEs and E-Portfolios forStudents<br />Jesús Salinas, Victoria Marín and Catalina Escandell<br />Grupo de Tecnología Educativa<br />Universitat de les Illes Balears<br />
2. Introduction<br /><ul><li>Exploratorystudyderivedfrom a largerprojectcarriedoutbyGTE researchgroup.
3. Itsaimistoovercometherigidityof LMS byintegratingotherenvironments and to use student-centrededucationalstrategies.</li></ul>Picture by Jeffrey Beall: http://www.flickr.com/photos/denverjeffrey/2561885967/<br />
7. Towards a Flexible LearningModel</li></li></ul><li>Backgroundcontext of thestudy<br />LMS: todeliverthetask done<br />
8. Questions of the study<br /><ul><li>Is e-portfolio anusefultool in the personal organization of theacademic data of thestudents?
9. Doesthissystem of workingwiththecontentmattergivethem more control overtheirownlearningprocess?
10. Does the e-portfolio offer more flexibility in the learning process?
11. Does the e-portfolio facilitate group work and collaboration?
12. As the project work develops during the different phases, do the students customize their learning environment more?</li></li></ul><li>Informationobtained<br /><ul><li>Students' perceptions of the e-portfolio's use
13. Customization of theenvironment:
14. Handling and use of views and dashboards: customization of theenvironment
15. Quantitativechanges in thecreation of views, groups and blocks</li></li></ul><li>Methodology<br /><ul><li>Intentionalsample of 73 students, but 60 participants
16. Ages: 22-35
19. Procedurestogather data:
20. Observation and monitoringevolution of Maharaactivity
22. Observation of student output</li></li></ul><li>Studyphases<br />
23. Researchresults<br /><ul><li>3 sources:
24. Observingand MonitoringtheEvolution of theActivity
26. Observation of Output</li></li></ul><li>Evolution of theactivity<br />Firstweek of October: workshoponthe e-portfolio<br />Secondhalf of October: firstdeliverables (groupviews)<br />4.05 views/person<br />
27. Frequency of options<br />Collections: barelyused.<br />Groupsviews: importantincrease.<br />
28. Student questionnaires (I)<br />E-portfolio facilitatesgroupwork<br />E-portfolio facilitatessocial interaction<br />Picture by Tom Woodward: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bionicteaching/3099664790/<br />Picture byUniversity of Nottingham: http://www.flickr.com/photos/uonottingham/5489240124/<br />Interestingtool and methodforboostinggroupwork in thiscontext<br />They had continued using familiar ways to interact not included into the dashboard<br />
29. Studentquestionnaires (II)<br />E-portfolio as a data organizer<br />
30. Studentquestionnaires (II)<br />E-portfolio as a data organizer<br />Suitableforacademicwork<br />Notveryappropriatefororganizing personal data<br />Picture byadesigna: http://www.flickr.com/photos/adesigna/3923138328/<br />
31. Student questionnaires (III)<br />E-portfolio givesstudents more control overthelearningprocess<br />Studentsagreewiththemethod'sflexibility and itsadaptabilitytotheirownlearningprocess<br />
32. Observation of output (I)<br /><ul><li>One group view:</li></li></ul><li>Observation of output<br /><ul><li>Personal view of a student’scourse</li></li></ul><li>Conclusions<br /><ul><li>Students think that e-portfolio is a good tool for the personal organization of academic information.
33. They consider that the configured iPLE is suitable for academic work, but not very appropriate for organizing personal data.
34. They regard this way of working as giving them more control over their own learning process.
35. The e-portfolio facilitates group work and collaboration. However, it is not perceived in the same way when it comes to its possible role as a tool in social interaction.
36. During the different phases of the project, the students incorporate an increasing number of views; but there is little customization of the views.</li></li></ul><li>Future research activities<br /><ul><li>Towardsputtingintopractice a new integrateddesign:
37. Improvementsin theintegration of Moodle and Mahara.</li></li></ul><li>Anyquestions<br />Victoria Marín<br />email@example.com<br />GTE home page: http://gte.uib.es/<br />Picture from http://www.flickr.com/photos/wwworks/4759535950/<br />