The Role Of Media On Good Governance - Maria Baroni
The role of media on goodgovernanceMedia as a tool to monitor theexecutiveBy Maria Baroni
2. Media and public opinionTVs political debates, Newspapers’ surveys,Investigations, Web-sites, Blogs, Polls, Facebook,Twitter, etc.are means informing the people about:• the main challenges (economic, social, etc. atinternational/european/domestic levels),• how the government is facing thesechallenges,• how families and citizens are affected by thesituation and react to these measures.
3. Involving citizens to face the crisis• Local authorities give citizens the opportunityto take part in the decision making process(participatory budget – agenda setting; on-lineminutes of the govt meetings);• Political organisations invite citizens to votethe best candidate for electoral competition;
4. “Austerity” measuresto face the economic crisisEU countries are using a mix of:• European «austerity» meausures (reduceincreasing public budget deficit to preventdefault and support the «EU recovery plan»(loans to countries in default);• National measures (increasing taxes) tofinance social security policies and avoidbanks’ shocks .
5. People political distrustBecause of the lasting of the crisis, people distrustsEurope, political parties and politicians, as theyseem to be unable to deal with urgent problemsand find solutions.People organise demonstrations and other proteststhrough social networks, tweets and polls.Why?Neither European measures, nor nationalmeasures, succeed in preventing people fromunemployment and increasing poverty.
6. Citizens’ demand for changePeople ask:• to stop increasing taxations;• to reduce politics’ costs ;• to support families and SMEs;• to stop corruption and waste of public money.The internet is the battle-field of this demandeof change
7. Indipendent monitoring politics• Insightful information can clarify and explaincitizens about governamental action in theglobal political context,• Investigations may disclose wastes andcorruption and bring politics to reform itself,• Surveys and reports may help citizens tobetter understand the complexity of politicalsituation.
8. The role of social networkSocial network help politicians• to hear the people’s voice/needs,• to be closer to a great amount of citizens(youth) in an informal way,Social network help people• to use their right to be involved in the decisionmaking process,• to influence the changeThe risk: banalisation of complexity
9. The essential role of pluralisticmedia to understand society• Media analyse and explain to citizens politicalissues at global, European and domestic level,• Media analyse and explain to politicians andcitizens, both:political situations, andsocial reactions and behaviuors.Pluralistic information: a mediator betweenpoliticians and society.
10. EU road-mapfor an effective good governance• Promoting better regulation• Protecting freedom and pluralism of themedia• Encouraging Information Society andexpanding participation• Promoting e-Democracy• The European Petition Right• 2013: European Citizenship Year
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.