2. We have learned that all books can bedivided into two groups: fiction and nonfictionFiction books and nonfiction books canalso be divided into groups. Today, wewill learn about one kind of fiction: Tall Tales
3. A tall tale is a fictional story that stretches the truth. The heroes or sheroes of tall tales are "larger than life.“ Sometimes the heroes or sheroes in a tall tale are completely made up. Sometimes they are based on an actual person who really lived.
4. Through the telling of the story,these characters are givenexaggerated characteristics. They are bigger or stronger than real people and solve problems in a way that is hard to believe.
5. Tall tales were first told in America by the settlers who made their homes in the American wilderness. In those days,people didnt have TV, movies, or even manybooks, so they depended on storytelling fortheir entertainment. After a long dayswork, people would gather together and tellone another unbelievable stories.
6. The tall tale heroes and sheroes were like regular people. They did the same type ofwork as the settlers, except they did itwith amazing speed, strength, orcleverness. Maybe having these heroesand sheroes helped give the settlers thecourage to do their difficult anddangerous work.
7. Some classic tall tale heroes andsheroes are Paul Bunyan, JohnnyAppleseed, Davy Crockett, SallyAnn Thunder Ann WhirlwindCrockett, John Henry, Pecos Bill,and Slue-Foot Sue.
8. Four things allTall Tales Have in Common
9. #1The main character has aregular job but is larger-than-life or superhuman inhis or her abilities.
10. #2The character has a problemor problems that he or shesolves in a funny way.
11. #3Details in the story areexaggerated beyond belief.
12. #4The characters use everydaylanguage and are like commonpeople in behavior.