Utah Education Policy Center
Bridging Research, Policy, and Practice
Andrea K. Rorrer, Ph.D.
Cori A. Groth, Ph.D.
May 25, 2010
Park City School District
Public Forum Agenda
2. Introduction of Strategic Planning Committee
3. Strategic Planning Process
4. Strategic Plan Components:
– Core Values, Mission Statement, Vision Statement, District Goal
Areas, District Objectives, Leverage Points
5. Question and Answer Session
6. Dialogue with Strategic Planning Committee
Philosophy of Strategic Planning
Tailored to the individual organization
and its needs
Inclusive and transparent
Data-based and research-informed
A dynamic or living instrument that
guides progress and improvement
Strategic Planning Committee
Board Members Parents
School Administrators City/County
Teachers Community Organizations
Staff Representative Community at Large
Met with Superintendency and School Board to
discuss needs, mission, and timeline for strategic
planning process (January, 2010)
District invited participants (January, 2010)
Conducted at-large committee and sub-
committee meetings (January – June, 2010)
Revisited the previous mission statement, vision,
goal areas, and objectives (January – May,
Reviewed data presented by district leadership
on the status of the district (February, 2010)
Facilitated development of core values and
revision of mission and vision statement,
goal areas, objectives, measures, and
initiatives (February – June, 2010)
Analyzed and synthesized meeting data
(e.g., surveys, SWOT Analysis, Force Field
Strategic Plan Components
Strategic Plan Goal Areas
Strategic Plan Objectives and Measures
Strategic Plan Leverage Points
Excellence in Teaching and Learning
Respect and Commitment
Personal and Social Responsibility
Park City School District strives to be a
district of choice providing an innovative
and excellent education to all students
that fosters achievement and success.
Park City School District empowers
students to develop their knowledge,
skills, and potential as critical thinkers.
We maximize resources for academic rigor
and excellence through staff, programs,
and technology that make learning
relevant to the emerging world in which
Strategic Plan Goal Areas
1. Improve student achievement across all
2. Improve student achievement across all
3. Increase student engagement in learning.
4. Promote and maintain a safe learning
5. Increase student responsibility for learning.
1. Differentiate instruction based on student
2. Attract, keep high quality teachers and staff.
3. Develop, retain and support motivated,
innovative, engaging and professional faculty
4. Increase accountability for performance.
5. Identify and use authentic measures of student
1. Provide multiple pathways for students to
post-secondary education programs and
2. Provide extended day and summer
options for students.
3. Provide community education
opportunities for students and adults.
1. Identify and use effective research and
evidence based programs
2. Provide effective instructional programs
1. Promote parental and community support
for student learning and achievement.
2. Support active district/school and
3. Improve district’s communication with
parents and community.
4. Access local talent and expertise to
support district/school goals and
District Leverage Points
Leadership and Governance
Channels of Communication
Use of Technology