1. A client has recently gotten her teeth whitened. However, after the treatment, she finds that her teeth have become very sensitive. Write a short dialogue between the woman and her dental hygienist. In your dialogue, illustrate the two communication techniques – restatement and clarification. Please indicate which is restatement and which is clarification. (6 marks)
2. Your client is a university professor. He is at high risk for a heart attack. You realize that it is vital for him to adopt a drastic, long-term change to his lifestyle. According to our discussion on persuasion, should you convince him through the central or peripheral route of persuasion? Please explain your choice. (3 marks)
3. Compare and contrast the independent sense of self and the interdependent sense of self. Why are people with an interdependent sense of self more likely to focus on situational factors rather than dispositional factors in explaining behavior? (7 marks)
4. Discuss the psychological explanation (the diathesis theory) of ADHD. (5 marks)
5. In Brampton, a group of health care professionals get together and discuss about how they can develop better skills communicating with people from different cultures. About 80 professionals, including doctors, nurses, dental hygienists, personal support worker and counselors, meet at 6 pm on the second Wednesday of every month. However, a few members often arrive late. Also, some members have to leave the room to answer phone calls.
Does this group focus more on content or process? What is the goal of the meeting? What are the covert and overt norms? How cohesive is the group? (5 points)
6. See the reading, “The National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth”, Please answer question 2 under “Thinking Critically”. (4 marks)