1. ETRC presentation 04.04.2013 Chisinau, MoldovaQualities of Modern Teachers, The Teacher’s Role in the Classroom Lt Col Sergio A. Porres Chief, Office of Defense Cooperation
2. US Navy
3. US AirForce
4. Q: Why did the teacher wear sunglasses? A: Because his class was so bright!Q: Teacher: Didnt I tell you to stand at the end of the line? A: Student: I tried but there was someone already there!
5. Officer Qualities • Leadership • Management • Communication • Team Work • HistoryLeadership: The art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. Dwight D. Eisenhower
6. What did I learn?• Organization• Structure• Qualities – Relaxed – Creative • Inspirational • Read People • Interactive • Open to Change
7. Interest in Learner Cooperative AttitudeKnowledge of Psychology Preparation for Classroom TeachingDemocratic Outlook of Life 1. All students of a class have equal right to speak. 2. A teacher should listen all problems of the students and try to solve them. Use of Technology 3. Right of equality. 4. Right to development. 5. Each student has equal right to take part in all activities. 6. Everyone can participate in games and composition. 7. Right to read library booksCommand over Techniques of TeachingInterest in Co curricular ActivitiesRespecting the Child Individuality
8. Top TenA willingness to change Organization Love of kids Passion for teaching. A work ethic that doesn’t quit Understanding that being a “great teacher” is a constant struggle to always improveLove of their subject A willingness to reflectUnderstanding of the role of a school in a child’s life Enough humility to remember it’s not about you
9. Q: How is an English teacher like a judge? A: They both give out sentences.Q: Teacher: You missed school yesterday, didnt you? A: Student: Not really. Q: Why did the teacher go to the beach? A: To test the water.