1. Assess Your Advocacy Situation
• Current advocacy level
– Net Promoter Score®
– Overall tone of WOM
• Positive, negative, neutral
• Current Advocates
– How many?
– Who they are?
– What and how advocating?
®Net Promoter Score is a registered trademark of Satmetrix Systems, Inc., Bain & Company, and Fred Reichheld
2. Set Advocacy Goals
• Where do we want/need
• Who do we want to get
more advocacy from?
– Customer segments
4. Chart Advocacy Strategy
• How are we going to generate more
advocacy for our (company, brand,
• What’s our approach?
Create a Cause
Focus on Benefit
Focus on Emotional Benefit
Focus on What’s New or Hot
Focus on Unique, Compelling Feature
Focus on Key Segment
5. Advocacy Tactics
• How are we going to identify Advocates?
• How are we going to energize Advocates?
• Where do we want to amplify Advocates?
• What are we going to measure?
How likely are you to recommend our
brand or products to your friends?
“Ultimate Question” for Customer Loyalty:
Zuberance Advocate Funnel
Reviews Stories Answers Offers Referrals
# # # # #
eMail Web Social* Usage** Support
# # # # #
Ten Ways to Energize Advocates
1. Rate and review products and services
2. Create and share testimonials (stories)
3. Answer prospects’ questions
4. Share content and offers
5. Refer prospects to you
6. Promote and/or attend online/offline events
7. Help you launch new products, services
8. Give you feedback
9. Get others to join loyalty club
10.Recruit other Advocates
How Often to Engage Advocates
Whenever you have something to share
with them that Advocates value (content,
Advocates are Different
• Highly engaged
• Very loyal
• Want you to succeed
Advocates are Frequent Recommenders
Advocate Program Timeline
Program Jan Feb Mar Apr May June July Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Getting Advocacy Buy-In
1. Involve key stakeholders but
stay in control
2. Internal communication and
3. Provide relevant case
4. Provide data about missed
5. Focus on “beachhead”
where you can demonstrate
Key Advocacy Stakeholders
5 Advocacy Mistakes to Avoid
1. Paying or providing incentives
2. Setting unreasonable expectations
3. Being “ROI-obsessed”
4. Over-focusing on Advocate reviews
5. Not aligning advocacy with other
5 Keys to Advocacy Success
1. Leverage multiple touch points
to ID & energize Advocates
2. Give Advocates multiple ways to
3. Connect advocacy to other
marketing programs and goals
4. Build relationships with
5. Make advocacy an ongoing