How to loop intent data into email marketing campaigns.
Transcript of "Intent Data: Email Marketing on Steroids"
Email Marketing on Steroids
Today You Will Learn
• Insights into the B2B Buyer Journey and how to
accurately determine where your prospects are
on the sales/marketing funnel
• Why email is a mainstay in today’s marketing
• Best practices for conducting your own email
• The power of intent data for marketers
Vice President, Product Management
Rob has a rich background in Ad Tech, having served in product
management positions since 2008.
Rob pioneered the industry's first APIs to DoubleClick's DFA6
and Microsoft's Atlas ad servers and authored the specs on
“package buying” features for digital media buyers using
Donovan Data Systems.
Next, Rob joined the startup scene beginning with
DoubleVerify, the industry's leading ad verification solution for
display, video and mobile advertising. There, Rob rolled out
the company’s UI platform and managed the client reporting
and insights team.
Then, Rob joined a newly formed startup, AdFin, seeking to make
transparent the price and volume patterns of the RTB ad
exchanges. At AdFin, Rob ran product and
marketing, building the company's brand, pitch materials and
product offering from scratch.
Rob hails from Atlantic City, NJ and holds a B.A. in Journalism
from Washington and Lee University.
• The B2B Buyer Journey
• Email Marketing Best Practices
Content and Creative Times
Calls to Action
• Intent Data – What, Why and How?
• Key Takeaways
The B2B Buyer Journey – 5 Key Data Points
Multi-Touch · Multi-Channel · Multi-Person
1. 50% of leads are qualified but not yet ready to buy (Gleanser Research)
2. Only 25% of leads are legitimate and should advance to sales (Gleanster Research)
3. Companies that excel at lead nurturing generate 50% more sales ready leads at 33%
lower cost (Forrester Research)
4. 70% of marketing leads never convert into sales. Lack of lead nurturing is the common
cause of this performance (Marketing Sherpa)
5. It takes 10 touches to go from initial contact to a closed deal (The Aberdeen Group)
The B2B Buyer Journey
Display Nurturing, Content
& Marketing Automation
Email Marketing - Stats
May 2012 data from the CMO Council
showed a significant majority of
marketers worldwide (67%) rated email
the most successful digital marketing
40% of B2B marketers rated the leads
generated by email marketing (house
list) as high-quality.
Despite the limitations, budget
allocations for email marketing
increased in 2012 by 15%, with over half
of marketers expecting another increase
This is due to a third of the respondents
accounting email marketing for 50% - or
more - of all digital business revenue.
(CMO Council, February 13)
(Source: Software Advice Survey)
90% of marketers say they will increase or maintain their use of email.
Email Marketing - Stats
Lyris states that 145 Billion emails are
sent annually, with each user receiving
approximately 9,000 emails a year.
How will you break through?
Discipline and Intent.
Email Marketing Best Practices
How to Break Through a Cluttered
Email Marketing Case Study
HR Vertical Email Campaign
Audience Segmentation – Powered by Intent Data
69% of consumers are willing to give up personal data in
exchange for more customized service – Marketing Sherpa
• Personalization of service is all but expected
• Intent data drives the ability to create better segmentation and
make your messaging and client communication more meaningful
• Analyze the information coming into your marketing automation
platform to identify what pieces of content are doing best
• What pieces of content are being downloaded and consumed?
• Drive action into insights and plan engagement strategies around
How To Collect Your Own Intent Data
Utilize the information given to you by your marketing
• Content downloads
• Consumption rates
• Asset performance based on user demographics
• Email open rates
Goal: Establish relevant messaging and
communications to foster a trustworthy relationship
between you and your prospects along the buyer
1. B2B Buyer Journey
Know where your prospects are along the buyer journey in order to personalize
marketing messages and communication
2. Importance of Email Marketing
Email is here to stay. Make sure you’re doing it right
3. Email Marketing Best Practices
Discipline all of the components of an email marketing campaign in order to
ensure a positive ROI
4. Intent Data for Email Marketing
Personalization and customization of messaging can drastically improve
content relevance and campaign performance
5. How to Collect and Analyze Your Own Intent Data
Utilize existing data from marketing automation or email service platforms to
customize offers and campaigns to your prospects
Learn more at
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.