Developing & Maintaining a Successful
Today You Will Learn
• The How’s and Why’s of Creating a PPC
• Direct Tips on How to Assess your Account
• How to maintain the progress
CEO of Smarter Searches
9 years managing PPC and SEO in house and at
the agency level
• Why Conduct an Audit?
• Audit Goals and Objectives
• The PPC Auditing Process
• Auditing Landing Pages
• Maintaining the Framework Momentum
Why Conduct an Audit?
• Creating consistency when onboarding
• Reviewing old/existing clients
• Identifying mistakes or opportunities
Audit Goals and Objectives
-Aligning Campaigns with Business
-Identifying and Fixing Tracking issues
The PPC Auditing Process
• Campaign structure
• Ad Group Structure
• Ad group/keyword themes
• Match type strategy
• Branded/non-branded campaigns
Settings – Don’t Mess this Part Up!
Did you accidentally opt into the display
Optimize bid adjustments for location and
Check keyword bids
Quality score reporting
Run search query report (All Keywords) for
More Keyword Strategies
Check your match types
Make sure keywords match up with goals
• SPELL CHECK
• Are there at least 2-3 variations for each
• Is there a dedicated mobile ad?
• Do they have clear calls to action?
• Are all landing pages functional and
landing on the right page?
• Is all information accurate?
• Has everything been migrated correctly to
work with enhanced campaigns?
– Do sitelinks have descriptions?
• Test additional extensions
Auditing Landing Pages
• No 404!
• Optimize pages for conversions
• Create a landing page testing plan
• Comply with editorial guidelines (privacy
and user terms)
• If there are problems, contact Google or
Bing immediately to solve issues
Maintain the Framework
• You will get faster with time.
• Platforms and software can make the
• Don’t be afraid to set up automated rules
• Schedule reports
• Schedule audits and be consistent
• Determine frequency
– Budget, staffing, scope of account
• Make sense of the data to recommend
• Look at the big picture
• Budget recommendations? New
Move The Needle
Go step by step through at least one
campaign and complete the auditing
process. Start with client goals then
evaluate Structure, Settings, Keywords, Ad
Copy, Extensions, and Landing Pages. Fix
errors, update outdated information, come
up with new areas of potential and growth.
Audit At Least One Campaign
-Audits should be used on new & existing accounts
-Focus on big picture goals first then go step by
step through each section
-Don’t forget to analyze conversion and landing
-Fix errors immediately then come up with new
Learn more at