Agenda (Originally delivered 12/2012)
• Google Goals and Background
• Google+ for Business
• Search Engine Results and Google +
• 3 Reputation Management Connections
• Using Search Results to Speak to Target
• Key Takeaways
About Me – Chris Boggs
• Chairman of the Board, SEMPO
• Specialist with 13 years of experience
in digital media
• Love to implement cross-channel and
platform strategies to find synergies
between online marketing campaigns
and other user-experience and
conversion best practices
• Twitter: @boggles
Today You Will Learn about Google
• Google has evolved to a point which it requires
more careful consideration of authenticity
– The Love of Folksonomy and the User
– The Passion for Authentication
– Google + for Business in 2012
– How Google + and Local/Maps Work Together
– Trends in Search Engine Reputation Management
– And hopefully more!
Google Loves Its Users
Google looks at “10 Things they Know to be True,” and these often
align efficiency and accuracy goals with integration of user signals.
1. Focus on the user and all else will follow.
2. It’s best to do one thing really, really well.
3. Fast is better than slow.
4. Democracy on the Web works.
5. You don’t need to be at your desk to need an answer.
6. You can make money without doing evil.
7. There’s always more information out there.
8. The need for information crosses all borders.
9. You can be serious without a suit.
10.Great just isn’t good enough.
Google Seeks User Signals
Beyond the obvious authority gained from link co-citation algorithm, how
can Google segment voters' opinions within a vertical, theme or
Source: Razorfish Search Shots archive
Google “Caffeine” Made Things Faster
The Caffeine technology update made things faster, but third
parties are still needed to provide true “real time” results.
Source: Google Blog 6/8/2010
Integration with Algorithm Updates
Panda and other algorithm updates are all geared towards directive
#1— to focus on the user
Source: beijingtoday.com.cn and currents.rosetta.com via Google Images
The “New Seven-Pack” Branded SERP
Google has again shown it wants to reward trusted brand content with
its new 7 results set for brand searches, versus the traditional 10 results
Content marketing should be a priority, and will help Brand results
Being “newsworthy” is one of the biggest advantages large companies
have in today’s SEO landscape, but many fail to take advantage
Social media is a great way to provide the evergreen, relevant content
for which Google and users are searching
• Google leverages Google+, Facebook, Twitter and more!
USING SEARCH RESULTS TO
SPEAK TO TARGET SEGMENTS
Brand Searchers Can Be Spoken-To
• Brands that leverage Google+ Business profiles
effectively can provide messaging to multiple
– Understanding current organic results and marrying
G+ content to create full or multi-targeted message is
highly advanced strategy
– In Brand or Industry times of “turmoil,” G+ and other
social media content can protect the brand or even
better: introduce the brand
Move The Needle
• Go find out how your competitors stack
up, and check results regionally if you are
not bound by geographic limitations
• Get started by setting up a Google+
Business account, using a Google
Account already associated with the
1. Google Plus for Business is Google ‘Authenticity Check”
2. Google Plus for Business should tie to Google
3. Google exposure for Brand / Company Name searches
can be dominated
4. Brand searchers can be messaged-to directly in nearly
5. Proper content management could lead to non-branded
benefits for early adopters
Chris Boggs - @boggles