the SME Sector
… the background & an Irish context…
Irish Business Intelligence
• Cost – based on budgeting / time of “life” in
• Efficiencies – needs-based, as-and-when
• Business model – driven by internal priorities,
structures and requirements;
• Size and scope of business.
SMEs | Why outsourcing?
Focus – core business activity;
Expertise – when it is required;
Additional – capacity at certain junctures;
Technologies – new and enhanced [staying up
Silicon Republic 2007
‘Hassle factor’ influences SME outsourcing
SME Outsourcing Communications Strategy
‘It offers the flexibility but also the expertise when
we need it. At a cost we budget for. It’s more
measurable and suits our business model.’
SME Offering Outsourced Services to Businesses
‘I deliver services which allow businesses to spend
time on their core business activity - taking away
the headache day-to-day and giving business
owners back their time to spend on more critical
Other Factors for Consideration
• Economic realities – from 2007-2010, SME sector
lost 15% of its total workforce;
• New Entrepreneurs – ROI on outsourcing must
• “Intrapreneurship” – business owners looking for
committed, contributing staff – long-term-ism!
• Ultimately… it’s about the ‘fit’ with business
values and model.
Anticipation of Future?
• Compelling offering and fit to company –
“what can you do for me”?
• Return to growth… employment increases…
• Scope for multiple / combined offering
• SMEs scaling = where does the contractor sit?
Know your role!