Overview & outlook for the European Digital Library. Olaf Janssen presenting during the CIPA/VAST 2006 Conference in Nicosia, Cyprus, 03-11-2006
- 1,614 views
In this presentation Olaf Janssen - Project Manager at The European Library - outlines the history, organisational and technical foundations of The European Library, the collaborative platform and ...
In this presentation Olaf Janssen - Project Manager at The European Library - outlines the history, organisational and technical foundations of The European Library, the collaborative platform and website of the 48 national libraries of Europe.
He details the array of benefits of this joint service:
- for its end-users : giving integrated access to national collections across Europe
- for its member libraries
- for knowledge sharing & developments of common standards across Europe
- for political & strategical purposes (European Union funding & lobbying)
- to enable future collaboration with other European cultural initiatives
He explains how the Google Print Initiative sparked the creation of a European Digital Library (to be called Europeana) for safeguarding the European cultural heritage.
The European Library is used as the organisational and technological model for building a successful Europeana. It has established many of the required ingredients. These include:
- An operational technological platform
- Common and open standards for metadata & access
- Firm cooperative organisational framework
Challenges that are yet to be tackled include
- More partners: not only libraries, but also museums & archives are needed
- Large amounts of digital content
- Multi-lingual search & retrieval facilitie
After outlining the strategic planning for Europeana for 2006-2010, Olaf concludes:
* Common and open standards for access and interoperability are essential for a European Digital Library
* The European Library is the forerunner
* Building a European Digital Library is a much a political & social game as it is a technological
* The willingness to collaborate is key!!
I presented this at the CIPA/VAST 2006 Conference in Nicosia, Cyprus, on 03-11-2006
- Total Views
- Views on SlideShare
- Embed Views