3. THE STATE SECURITY OFFICE The State Security Office (ÁVH) was set upin September 1948 Its keyword was the fight against’reactionary elements’ It functioned as the ‘fist of the workingclass’
4. Its headquarters were in the house that hadbeen the House of Loyalty‘ earlier.It is located at Andrássy Avenue 60 in Budapest atpresent days
5. Later it moved to the tower block popularlyknown as the White House.
6. THE ÁVHnot only security policethe ‘Green ÁVO’(the ArmyBorder Guard)military intelligence
7. WHAT DID ÁVH DO?played an important part in preparing andexecuting show trials.
8. ÁVH protected the detention camps,the Gulags like Recsk.
9. The Hungarian Secret Police organizedinterrogations
10. TYPES OF TORTURE moral and physical brutality interrogations during the nightthe prisoners were not allowed to sleep or evento sit down for daysno food, no drink for days
11. The ÁVH soldiers guarded the prisonof state criminals
12. THE PRISONThe cellars formed a labyrinthThe prisoners were separated from each otherDeath row
13. THE PRISONERS’ LIFE Hunger Horrible cold Lack of sleep Hands and feet were bound Electricity shocks No clean underwear No shower
14. THE FINAL DAYS OF ÁVHIn 1956 ÁVH units and officers fought against therebels alongside the Soviet troops
15. The anger of people turned against theofficers and soldiers of ÁVOThey lynched the ÁVO men
16. THE HUNGARIAN REVOLUTION OF1956 one of the main demands of the revolutionwas the breaking up of ÁVO Imre Nagy’s government achieved this the Kádár government confirmed it the members continued to work for theState Security Department of the police until1961.