Science toys - lego power pointPresentation Transcript
The LEGO Group A ~very~ brief history…
LEGO • The LEGO Group began in the carpentry workshop of Ole Kirk Chris<ansen in Denmark. • In 1916 Chris<ansen purchased a woodwork shop. • He produced miniature versions of his products as design aids. • In 1934 he called the company LEGO (which means ‘play well’
• LEGO also means ‘I put together’ or ‘I assemble’ in La<n. • In 1947 the ﬁrst truck that could be taken apart and put back together was made. • In 1953 the pieces of plas<c were called Lego Bricks. • Customers didn’t like plas<c at ﬁrst…they preferred wooden or metal.
• By the end of 1960 there were 450 people working for LEGO. • In 1961 Lego began producing and selling LEGO products in the USA and Canada. • 1961 and 1962 saw the introduc<on of the ﬁrst Lego wheels. • 1964 was the ﬁrst <me instruc<on manuals were included in Lego sets.
• In 1968 the ﬁrst Legoland Park was opened in Denmark. – 625,000 people visited Legoland in the ﬁrst year • How many Lego sets were sold in 1968? • Duplo was sold for the ﬁrst <me in 1969. • The ﬁrst miniﬁgure was sold in 1978. • Lego Space sets were produced and sold in 1979.
• In 1979 the ﬁrst Lego marketed towards girls called Scala which included jewelry elements. • Since the 1960s Lego has been used in the classroom and in 1980, the Lego Group established the Educa<onal Products Department • The ﬁrst Castle sets were made in 1983 • 1989 was the ﬁrst Pirate sets
• 1999 saw the ﬁrst Star Wars and Harry Poer sets • 2003 saw the introduc<on of Clikits, aimed at girls and consis<ng of customisable jewellery • Every second, 7 Lego sets are sold around the world