2. What’s Linguistics?• The study of the human language; an in-depth investigation of the human language; its structure and uses, and the relationship between those, as well as the acquisition and development of language. o Different branches • Phonetics (sounds) • Phonology (sound systems) • Syntax (structure) • Morphology (words) • Semantics (meaning) • Etc.
3. What does a Linguist do?• Found in MANY different settings as: 1. Interpreters 2. Translators 3. Transcriptionists 4. Government Reporters 5. Professors 6. Government Analysts 7. Cryptologists 8. Etc.
4. Linguistics is everywhere!• How many vowels in English?• How do you pronounce “ghoti”?
5. Answers! • English has 12 vocalic sounds as opposed to its only FIVE written forms: a, e, i, o, u.*Picture from the International Phonetics Alphabet website
6. Answers! (con’t)• The word “ghoti,” could be pronounced “fish.” Yes! Take the following sounds from the not-so-great English grammar: – /gh/ from “enough” pronounced as /f/ – /o/ from “women” pronounced as /I/ open [i] – /ti/ from “nation” pronounced as /sh/ *Various sources, common Linguistics humor!
7. Interested yet?• Take this choice if you have always been fascinated or interested in how language works o Take many English classes (on the Linguistics side of the language, NOT literature) o Study foreign languages and learn as many as possible o Study even MATHEMATICS to make your career in Linguistics stronger! o Take a basic Linguistics class to find out if that’s something you would want to consider long-term
8. Who do I contact?• Start with your school counselor• Ask your friends about the subject• Consult your school’s course catalog and lists of degrees offered• Do research online• Visit the International Phonetic Alphabet online
9. Thank you!Explore new path ways, you’ll love it!
10. Sources• International Phonetics Alphabet Website: – http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ipa.htm