Investment Mapping and SMEs Attraction
Dr. Bashar Al-Zu’bi
Senior Advisor to the CEO
Paris 20 March, 2013
There is worldwide consensus that high rates of
economic growth contribute to economic and
social development and poverty reduction. At the
same time, there is growing recognition that
poverty reducing growth depends on the
quality of growth: its composition, distribution
• Research demonstrated that 80% of the economic
activity in the Kingdom is concentrated in the capital
Amman where around 40% of the Kingdom’s population
• This means that only 20% of the economic activities to
be raised by more than half the kingdom’s population in
other Governorates leading to undistributed socio-
No. of companies in
No. of companies in
- 80% of existing companies in Amman
- 20% in the remaining Governorates
No. of Projects benefited
from the Investment
Promotion Law, 1996 – 2011.
• Uneven development can hamper overall economic
growth in Jordan.
• JIB believes that the population in disadvantaged areas
may generally benefit from growth – enhancing
instruments, specifically distributed investments
through which new assets are created and distributed
among all the areas.
• The National Agenda through its Investment Development
Theme aims to improve the investment environment in Jordan
and to increase the participation of the SME„s within the
economy, hence absorbing the human capital available
throughout the Kingdom.
• JIB is inspired by the national vision towards achieving an
even sustainable development in all Jordanian
Governorates which is translated into consecutive and
regular visits to different Governorates in the Kingdom.
• In 2007, JIB has completed Jordan Investment Map,
which presented 75 pre-feasibility studies for projects
and business opportunities in different sectors all around
• The investment size of the 75 projects are ranged
between 2 – 500 million JDs, which require large
• JIB is looking to create investment opportunities in different
Governorates around Jordan with emphasis on promoting
SME's in Governorates to address the needs of the local
environment in the Governorates.
• JIB has recently completed the execution of “Southern
Governorates Investment Maps” that guide and create
business opportunities for investors in the South.
• The next step is the establishment of "Development of the
North and Central Governorates Investment Maps" to help
in promoting the targeted Governorates to the local and
Establishment of North and Central Investment Maps as means for creating
and attracting SMEs investments in the seven Governorates and thus
contributing to their local socio-economic development through:
• Conducting a comprehensive Governorate-wide analysis with sectoral
market assessment .
• Establishing a competitive and up to date “Governorate Profile”.
• Ideation of prime unique projects and exploring their potential through, Pre-
(10 projects for each Governorate), with estimated size of capital
investments ranging from 10 thousand to 5 million USD each.
Investment Mapping Objectives
Comprehensive Governorate Analysis
Focus Group Sessions with Local
Sectoral and Market Analysis