10. 10Agenda VMware’s Cloud Management Vision and Approach Cloud Operations – What Are We Trying to Accomplish? How VMware enables Automated Cloud Operations Customer Success and ROI
11. 11Multi-platform Multi-cloud Multi-providerOur Management MissionBrokerof IT ServicesVMware simplifies and automates IT managementand empowers IT to govern servicesacross multiple platforms and providers
13. 14VMware’s Vision for Cloud Operations ManagementEnabling a self-healing, self-regulatingsoftware-defined datacenter (SDDC)through automated operationsto help improve SLAs, reduce OpExand maintain IT Control
14. 15What Is Needed for Efficient Operations Management?What Is Needed?Quality ofServiceReduce Mean Time to Incident (MTTI):• Visibility across Infrastructure and Applications• Proactive issue prevention• Quickly resolve business impacting issuesOperationalEfficiencyReduce Capital and Operating Costs:• Optimize use of resources to prevent unnecessary purchases• Improve team efficiency and increase VI/admin ratiosControl &ComplianceAdhere to IT policies and standards:• Compliance visibility to Operations• Enforce IT policies across assets and infrastructuresGoal
15. 16Today’s Reality in Operations ManagementMonitoring Data Overload Alert StormsFinger PointingDBAVI StorageOver-provisioning
16. 17How VMware Enables Automated Cloud Operations Intelligent Operations• Patented analytics deliver insights and visibility• Machine learning enables incident avoidance and resolution Policy-based Automation• Self-learning automation engine regulates and drives remediation• Automated policy enforcement enables continuous compliance Unified Management• Converged management of Server, Storage, Network Infrastructure• Integrate Performance, Capacity & Configuration ManagementDisciplines• Consistent management of Heterogeneous Environments includingVirtual, Physical and Public Clouds123
17. 181. Intelligent OperationsToday’s Reality• Too much monitoring data overwhelms IT admins• Alerts not specific enough, alert storms get ignored• Silo tools report symptoms not root causesVMware’s Solution• Patented analytics engine processes monitoring data• Learns “normal” behavior of environment• Correlates data across silos to identify cause and effectResults and Benefits• 90% reduction of alert “noise”• 50% reduction of trouble shooting times• Detect potential issues hours in advance“ITorganizationscan reduce theirIT serviceoutage minutesby at least 10%using earlystage IToperationsanalytics.”Gartner, 2012
18. 19vCenter Operations Delivers Insights at your FingertipsAnalytics Engine Health HeatmapEasy to Understand• New super metrics for Health,Risk, Efficiency• Aggregates and up-levelsthousands of individual datapoints• Indicates “true” performanceof VMs and entire datacentersFuture Direction• Extend analytics to includeunstructured data (log files,etc.) for improved “last mile”analysisSelf-Learning• Dynamic thresholds adapt toenvironment• Forecasts expected behaviorfor 24 hours• Context aware, early warningof potential issues• Prioritize workloads by LOB,application, …Monitoring Data
19. 20vCenter Operations Delivers Comprehensive Visibility• Immediateproblems• What ishappeningright now?• What do Ineed to payattention to?Operations Efficiency and Risk• ForwardLooking• Are thereareas that Ishould beconcernedabout?• Am I utilizingresources inthe mostefficientmanner?• Are therecompliancerisks?
20. 21How vCenter Operations Has Helped Alert Reduction:Instead of getting 500-1000 threshold alerts a day, we get 50-100vCenter Operation alerts. We had so many false alerts. Faster Troubleshooting:We use the product for trouble shooting particular issues in ourenvironment. Basically, this is the tool that helps us get to theproblem faster than we would with other tools. Improved Utilization:We had a rate of 92% VM’s, that were over-provisioned. We usevCenter Operations to get back resources from over-provisionedVirtual Machine’s (VM’s).
21. 222. Policy-based AutomationToday’s Reality• Scripts provide limited automation benefits• Root cause analysis is manual, trial & error based• Configuration standards are hard to enforceVMware’s Solution• Intelligent root cause analysis and advisory tools• Enforces configuration standards and policies• Flexible orchestration engine integrates with your processesResults and Benefits• 60% improvement in team productivity• Reclaim 30% of over provisioned capacity
22. 23Automated Root Cause AnalysisThis is the root causeAutomatic interpretations ofproblems
23. 24Intelligent Tools to Resolve ProblemsRecommendations on how tofix issues
24. 25Remediate Against Capacity ShortfallsA capacity alert invCenter Operationstriggers a vCenterOrchestratorworkflowWorkflow to deletepowered off VMs and VMsnapshots to resolvecapacity issuePrepare report andsend emailnotification
26. 27 Right-sizing VMs• Quickly discovered many VMs had significantly been overprovisioned(RAMCPU)• A result of our migration from older servers to VMs running on modernhardware. What-if scenarios• Model changes to the virtual environment before making any changes• Predicte performance vs. capacity before any changes are made• Mitigate risk to the apps running the business before changes made. Helps drive our data centre strategy• ESXi helped us achieve the first stage of our virtualisation strategy.Thousands of physical hosts migrated to virtual hosts. vCenter Operationswill help us increase the virtual to physical host ratio and maintain ourservice levels.How vCenter Operations Has Helped
27. 29Gain Insights into Application and Infrastructure Performance Automatically discover application dependencies Prioritize business critical over non-production workloads Manage infrastructure aligned with the businessNo finger pointing – no fire drills – no drama!Inventory Dependencies LOB Views
28. 31How vCenter Operations Has Helped Increased visibility:vCenter Operations reduces trouble shooting times by 50%. We’vedetected issues that we were not even aware of. Consolidated view of complete infrastructure:The Health information provided allows us to identify problemsacross storage and virtual infrastructure before they occur. Better capacity planning:With the trending information from vCenter Operations, our capacityplanning is 40% faster and more accurate.
30. 33Summary: Automate Operations Management with VMware!Cloud requires a new approachto Operations ManagementvCenter Operations meets thedemands of Cloud Operationswith an open, extensible platformVMware enables you to achieveyour SLA, cost and complianceobjectives123START TODAY!
31. 34 vCenter Operations Manager included in alleditions of vSphere at NO CHARGE Provides performance and health managementof vSphere hosts and virtual machines Fully integrated with the new vSphere 5.1client Simplified management of vSphere Easy on-ramp to automated operationsmanagement concepts delivered by the full SuiteOverviewBenefitsvCenter Operations Manager FoundationHealth detailsLaunch tovC Ops