HEAT PUMPS AND REFRIGERATION
On completion of this tutorial you should be able to do the following.
• Discuss the merits of different refrigerants.
• Use thermodynamic tables for common refrigerants.
• Define a reversed heat engine.
• Define a refrigerator and heat pump.
• Define the coefficient of performance for a refrigerator and heat
• Explain the vapour compression cycle.
• Explain modifications to the basic cycle.
• Sketch cycles on a pressure - enthalpy diagram.
• Sketch cycles on a temperature - entropy diagram.
• Solve problems involving isentropic efficiency.
• Explain the cycle of a reciprocating compressor.
• Define the volumetric efficiency of a reciprocating compressor.
• Solve problems involving reciprocating compressors in refrigeration.
• Explain the ammonia vapour absorption cycle.