Fuels, and combustions, calorimetersDocument Transcript
THERMODYNAMIC, FLUID AND PROCESS ENGINEERING C106
TUTORIAL 11 - COMBUSTION PROCESSES
This tutorial may contain more than enough material for the syllabus but it is
recommended that students complete all the work.
On completion of this tutorial you should be able to do the following.
• Write down combustion equations.
• Solve the oxygen and air requirements for the combustion of solid, liquid and
• Determine the products of combustion.
• Determine the air/fuel ratio from the products of combustion.
• Solve problems involving energy released by combustion.
• Describe basic instruments used in flue gas analysis.
• Explain the use of calorimeters.
In order to complete this tutorial you should be already familiar with the following.
The molecular nature of substances.
The properties of gas and vapours.
The use of steam tables.