ACTIVE FIRE FIGHTING SYSTEM
• Function :
1- To detect the early stage of fire
2- To give the fire emergency warning
3- To help people rescuing themselves
4- To give an early stage of help.
• 2 types of Active System :
PORTABLE ACTIVE SYSTEM
• A portable fire extinguisher must contain the type of fire
extinguishing agent suitable for the fire it is required to
• It must also be clearly identifiable by colour coding for its
• Fires can be grouped:
● Solid fuels, e.g. wood, paper, cloth, etc.
● Flammable liquids, e.g. petrol, oil, paints, fats, etc.
● Flammable gases, e.g. methane, propane, acetylene, etc.
● Flammable metals, e.g. zinc, aluminium, uranium, etc.
FIRE EXTINGUISHER (TYPES)
-all type of fire
• Water in pressurized cylinders may be used for carbonaceous
fires and these are commonly deployed in offices, schools,
• Although water is a very good cooling agent, it is inappropriate
for some types of fire.
• It is immiscible with oils and is a conductor of electricity.
• Foam is formed by chemical reaction between sodium
bicarbonate and aluminium sulphate dissolved in water in the
presence of a foaming agent.
• When the extinguisher is inverted the chemicals are mixed to
create foam under pressure which is forced out of the nozzle.
• Frozen if placed in a cool place.
• carbon dioxide is pressurised as a liquid inside a cylinder
• Does not impinge/colourless/odourless
• Disadvantages :
- Not refillable
- Unreasonable weighing
-ELECTRICAL FIRES & FLAMMABLE
• Act more effectively than others
• BUT , just use Once
DRY CHEMICAL / DRY POWDER
-ALL TYPE OF FIRE
USING THE FIRE EXTINGUISHER
pin Aim nozel to
to left and
• They exclude oxygen from the fire
• Effective against small fire
• Widely used in kitchens and welding stops
• Asbestos blanket cause no damage or contamination
FIXED ACTIVE SYSTEM
WET & DRY RISER
SMOKE / HEAT
DRY RISER & WET RISER SYSTEM
DRY RISER WET RISER
DEFINITION System equipped with
valves & plumbing that
facilitates Fire Brigade
pump water to the
System equipped with
valves and pipes that have
a fixed water charges
COMPONENTS -Landing valve
-Main inlet connection
APPLICATION Height > 30.5m Height < 30.5m
OTHERS -Pipe is always empty
-located where users
are least likely
to be endangered by
Internal hydrant and water
is always in charge.
• Device located outside the building either intersection of
two streets or two mid way
• It is a fire extinguisher aids manufacture / distribute water
from the tap
• Water sprinklers provide an automatic spray dedicated
to the area of fire outbreak
• Sprinkler heads have temperature sensitive elements
that respond immediately to heat
• A rapid response which reduces and isolates fire
damage, sprinklers use less water to control a fire than
the firefighting service, therefore preventing further
damage from excess water.
1- Pipe materials - Copper tube (BS EN 1057)
- Post-chlorinated polyvinylchloride (CPVC)
2- System -mains supplied, wet.
3- Pipe sizes - 25 mm minimum
4- Sprinkler head spacing - area covered by one
head, maximum 12 m2 .
5- Maximum distance between heads 4 m.
6- Maximum distance from wall to ceiling mounted head 2 m.
7- Operating pressure - Minimum 0.5 bar (50 kPa).
FIRE ALARM SYSTEM
• In addition to, or as an alternative to, automatic smoke
or fire sensing switches, manual break-glass alarm
switches can be wall mounted at about 1.5 m above
floor level in lobbies, corridors and other common
• No person should have to travel more than 30 m to use
• System control unit is an alarm panel which monitors the
state of all parts (zones) of the installation. It identifies the
point of origin of an alarm, displays this on the panel and
communicates this to remote control locations.
Find what is SMOKE & HEAT DETECTORS
and How It Works?
Duration : 45 minutes
Do a personal visit to IFSEC Southeast Asia 2013 that will be held
on 11-13 September 2013 at Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre.
1. Choose at least three type of different Fire Fighting System.
2. Ask the exhibitors How they work ?/What are their specialty ?/
How much the cost ?
3. Write a report regarding the information that you get from the
Report’s Requirements :
1. Attach the entry passes as evidence that you had been to the
2. Make all the brouchers or templates as References
DEADLINE : 27 SEPTEMBER 2013 (FRIDAY BEFORE 12 NOON)
THIS IS AN INDIVIDUAL ASSIGNMENT