IZBERBASH- the Town of Oil Industry Workers Mikhail Nokhov Gymnasium # 1 Khasavyurt
On June, 28 1949 according to the decree of the Supreme Soviet of he RSFSR the settlement of the oil workers Izberbash in Kayakent region of the republic of Dagestan got the status of the town of the republican significance.
At present it is multinational town with the population of 40 000 people. Izberbash is situated on pre Caspian lowland at the foot of the mountain Izbertau, 65 kilometers to south from Makhachkala, the capital of Dagestan. The railway and the motorway connect it with all regions of Dagestan and other parts of Russian Federation.
According to the legends the territory where the settlement of the oil workers was built later had a very bad reputation. The riders and travelers either tried to go through or around it as soon as possible to escape the danger of being robbed or killed. The people called it the “Valley of Death”.
The History of the settlement Oil industry workers began in the year of 1931 when the first tent was placed not far from the railway substation by the workers who were doing the preparation work for developing the oil deposits.
Sergo Ordzhonikidze, the national commissar for heavy industry was responsible for the future fate of the oil production in Dagestan and he appointed trust “Grozneft” to produce the prospector work.
The name of the town has a special history. The population of the nearest villages was the Kumics – the people belonging to Turkish language group. That’s why the name of the town has a Turkish origin. At first it was a Izbar, which in kumic meant – a place where the pass is. When they were building a railway the German specialists changed the word “bar” to “berg” which in German means “a mountain”, so following the engineer’s example the village and the railway substation were called Izberg.
The French writer Alexander Dumas while travelling about the Caucasus visited that place and he was the first to notice that the outline of the mountain near the town resembles the profile of the Great Russian poet Alexander Pushkin. It has been called the Pushkintau since then.
The local population changes the word “berg” in the name of the settlement to “bash” which means – a head. So the settlement got the name of Izberbash, which means the trace of the head on the mountain.
In the place where the marshes and the swamps were now there spread a young Dagestan town of Izberbash. The streets are wide and straight, there are a lot of trees, flowers, gardens and vineyards there.
There have been recently built many high-rise buildings, many tall individual houses, industrial enterprises, a new building of the town administration, a new hotel, a Palace of Culture, a new holiday home on the shore of the Caspian sea.
There are two theaters here, and three folklore museums in the town.
The industrial enterprises produce the unique eclectic stows. There are some confectionary factories there too.