Facebook 101 By ReShon Anderson
- Stats important to business users
- What can Facebook mean for your business?
- Smaller brands with large fan bases
- Setting up your Facebook “Fan” page
- I’ve set up my page….now what?
Facebook History – Quick Facts
- Started by Mark Zuckerberg and friends in a Harvard dorm room in February 2004
- By December 2004, Facebook had 1 million users
- By 2006, Facebook reached 12 million users and attracted nearly $40 million in venture capital investment
- Today, Facebook is valued at $10 billion with over 400 million active users
Facebook Stats– Facts for business users
- 70% of Facebook users reside outside the U.S.
- Facebook “Pages” and “Ads” launched in 2007. Currently 3 million active Pages (1.5 million are local businesses)
- Average user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook
- 3.5 Million Events created each month; average user is a member of 13 groups
Pages, Events and Groups
- Essentially a “homepage” on Facebook
- Users can “become a fan” of your page to engage with your brand
- What are Facebook Events?
- Event listings that display in the user’s feed
- Users can RSVP for your events (real or “virtual” events)
- Pages with restricted user groups
What Facebook IS
- Great way to expose your brand to a wide audience
- Through Pages, Events and Groups
- Great way to engage with existing and potential customers
- Sharing industry news/content, updating users on new offers from your business, sharing business videos, etc.
- Great way to get feedback on your business
- Users can post comments, use discussion boards, etc.
What Facebook IS NOT
- A direct marketing channel
- Users don’t want to get a heavy “sell” message
- You can lose fans if you market too heavily
- A replacement for your website
- Should enhance your web presence
- A place to only redirect traffic to your website
- Most effective Pages have a variety of content
- Email is still much more effective
Creating a Page
Creating a Page
I’ve created my Page…now what?
- Be sure to add your basic information to the “Info” tab
- Web site address and contact info
- Description of your business
- Grow your fan base with friends first
- Post at least once weekly
- Get in the habit of posting to keep users engaged
- More advanced; will be covered in the next session
- 5 Elements of a Successful Facebook Fan Page
- Exploring Enhanced Facebook Pages
- 5 Things That Don’t Work on Facebook Fan Pages (and 5 That Do)
- Running a contest on Facebook? That’ll cost you
Thanks for Your Time
- Become a Fan of Angel Handbags!