What Is Artificial Intelligence???
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is
usually defined as the science
of making computers do things
that require intelligence when
done by humans.
A.I is the study of ideas that
enable computers to be
Ways of thinking
• Two Ways:
• Conventional artificial intelligence
• Computational Intelligence
• AI is the study of how to make computers do things which, at the
moment, people do better
• AI is a branch of computer science concerned with teaching
computers to think
• The capability of a device to perform functions that are normally
associated with human intelligence, such as reasoning and
optimization through experience
• AI is the branch of computer science concerned with the study and
creation of computer systems that exhibits some form of
– Learn new concepts and tasks
– Can reason and draw useful conclusion
– Can understand a natural language
• The evolution of A.I. Has come slowly over
time with the progression of technology.
• A.I. Was only a philosophy before a
conference at Dartmouth College
• John McCarthy, Marvin Minsky, Allen Newell
and Herbert Simon became the lead
• MAVEN was created in 1987 to play Scrabble.
No person has been able to win.
• 1992. Dr. Marion Tindley beat Chinook (A.I.
Computer) in Checker’s 4-2 with 33 draws.
• 1997 Deep Blue plays the world’s best Chess
player and wins.
Artificial Intelligence Systems
• There are four categories:
• Systems that think like humans
• Systems which act as humans
• Systems that think rationally
• Systems that act rationally (ideally)
How Does AI Works??
Artificial intelligence works with the
1> Artificial Neurons (Artificial
2> Scientific theorems(If-Then
Artificial intelligence & Our society
Why we need AI??
To supplement natural intelligence for e.g. we are building
intelligence in an object so that it can do what we want it to do, as for
example-- robots, thus reducing human labour and reducing human
For Humans Intelligence is no more than
TAKING a right decision at right time
For Machines Artificial Intelligence is no
more than CHOOSING a right decision at
I think Artificial intelligence is the Second
intelligence ever to exist
Comparisons between human and
computer intelligence :-
Artificial Difference Vs
• AI, when given the information can
be exact, every time with speed.
• AI are digital
• AI uses byte-addressable memory.
• There is a appealing
obscures in AI
• Processing and memory are performed
by the different components.
• AI could do this if it was program to
do so, but this would be counter-
• When HI is given the same
information, it can not be as exact,
and is slower.
• HI are analogue
• The HI uses content-addressable
• No hardware/software distinction
can be made with respect to the
brain or mind
• Processing and memory are
performed by the same components
in the brain
• Human intelligence can forget and
Programming language used in A.I.:-
Methods used to create A.I.
Top-down Approach Bottom-up Approach
Types of A.I.
Application of A.I.
Heavy Industries:- Finance:-
Computer Science:- Aviation:-
• A.I. is something that has been achieved only to a
very limited degree and it remain a very difficult
problem and a long term goal of computer science.
• Since we are having some limitation or
disadvantages of A.I. but still there is a bright future
of Artificial Intelligence.