• Filipino poet, literary critic, short story writer,
• Awarded National Artist of the Philippines title
for literature in 1973
• Received Guggenheim Fellowship in creative
• introduced the "reversed consonance rime
scheme" in writing poetry thus he was known
as the “Comma Poet”.
• used the penname Doveglion
• He uses Modernism and surrealism as literary
• Reversed consonance - "The last sounded
consonants of the last syllable, or the last
principal consonant of a word, are reversed
for the corresponding rhyme.
Near Run Reign Rain Green
"The commas are an integral and essential part
of the medium: regulating the poem's verbal
density and time movement: enabling each
word to attain a fuller tonal value, and the line
movement to become more measures.”
It’s a lyric poem!
• A lyric poem is a comparatively short, non-
narrative poem in which a single speaker
presents a state of mind or an emotional
• A sonnet is a poetic form which originated
• The term sonnet derives from the Italian
word sonetto, meaning "little song“.
• It signified a poem of fourteen lines that
follows a strict rhyme scheme and specific
• It was originally a love poem which dealt with
the lover’s sufferings and hopes.
Jose Garcia Villa
First two lines
• First, a poem must be magical,
Then musical as a sea-gull.
Following 2 lines…
• It must be a brightness moving
And hold secret a bird's flowering.
"There is beauty that is never stationary in the
poem. It gives grace with every rhyme. A poem
must gradually change from the beginning into
something more beautiful as the poem ends, like
the blossoming of flowers.
And so on…
It must be slender as a bell,
And it must hold fire as well.
A poem is not to be written full of
adjectives. A poem should have a spirit.
It must have the wisdom of bows
And it must kneel like a rose.
A good poem must show the right message a
It must be able to hear
The luminance of dove and deer.
It must be able to hide
What it seeks, like a bride.
And over all I would like to hover
God, smiling from the poem's cover.