2. What is surface computing?A form of computing that offers “a natural way ofinteracting with information,” rather than the“traditional user interface”Surface computing typically includes four keyattributes: Direct Interaction Multi–Touch Multi–User Object Recognition
3. DIRECT INTERACTIONThe ability to "grab"digital information withhands - interacting withtouch/ gesture, not with amouse or keyboard.
4. MULTI – TOUCHThe ability to recognizemultiple points of contactat the same time, not justone (Ex. One finger, likewith most touch screens),but dozens.
5. MULTI – USERThe Surface’s screen ishorizontal , allowing manypeople to come togetheraround It and experience a“collaborative, face–to–face computingexperience”
6. OBJECT RECOGNITIONPhysical objects can beplaced on the Surface’sscreen to “trigger differenttypes of digital responses”(Ex. cell phones, cameras,& glasses of wine)
8. Microsoft Surface The Surface is not a touch-sensitive screen device…The screen itself is not electronic The Surface uses multiple infrared cameras beneath thescreen/table top to sense objects, physical touch, etc The Surface “recognizes objects based on shape or byusingdomino-style identification (domino tags) on the bottomof the objects ” This information is processed and displayed using“ rear projection ”
9. Working of Microsoft Surface
10. Working of Microsoft SurfaceScreen: Diffuser -> ”multitouch" screen. Can process multipleinputs and recognize objects by their shapes or coded "domino"tags.Infrared: The ”machine vision" is aimed at the screen. Once anobject touches the tabletop -> the light reflects back and ispicked up by infrared cameras.CPU: Uses similar components as current desktop computers ->Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM and a 256MB graphics card.Wireless communication -> Wi-Fi and Bluetooth antennas (future-> RFID). Operating system -> modified version of MicrosoftVista.Projector: Uses a DLP light engine ( rear-projection HDTVs).
11. Where is it used?seminarsEasy data transferAirportsShopping malls,hotels,etc…Work placetransportation
12. R&D Research work is going on several top universitieslike MIT (Massachusetts Institute of technology)with a innovation named SIXTH SENSE. This is anapplication of surface computing. Research on building user defined gestures thatare used in surface computing that make thegraphical representation more intuitive…
13. ADVANTAGESData representation/transfer is moreintuitiveUser friendlyNo use of input/output devices like mousekeyboard etc . . .Easily portable . . .
14. Microsoft Surface
15. ConclusionSurface takes existing technology andpresents it in a new way. It isnt simplyatouch screen, but more of a touch-grabmove-slide-resize and place objects ontop of screen, and this opens up newpossibilities that werent there before