More than 2.5 million websites have integrated with Facebook, including over 80 of comScore's U.S. Top 100 websites and over half of comScore's Global Top 100 websites
Marketing defined by the American Marketing Association as the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large. Become the hunted - as an expert for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients, partners, and society at large.
Push - Traditional - Build awareness to tell the target market about your product. Distribution model (Television ads, radio ads, newspaper ads, billboards) i.e Pull - Social Media - Use word of mouth (networking) to allow your target market find your product/service by utilizing attraction marketing techniques. Distribution model (facebook, twitter, linkedin, plaxo, myspace, flikr, blogtalkradio) i.e
The more transparent you are about information, the more people will be attracted to you. (go deep)
to attract John's network to the brand. Sue who is in John's network; likes John therefore she likes the ad... Nick who likes Sue; likes the ad also because Sue likes it (and on and on...)
1. Social Media for Non-Profit Businesses Nicole Newman May 19th, 2012
2. Agenda• My Background• Social Media• What is Marketing?• What is Attraction Marketing?• Transparency increases attraction• Traditional Marketing Techniques• Why Facebook Advertising works• Case Studies o ZipCar o PhillyCarShare• Linkedin
3. My Background• Born in Washington DC• Social Media expertise (1800+ Linkedin, 8000+ Facebook)• Non profit experience o The Enterprise Center o A.I.C.P. o Urban League of Philadelphia o Entrepreneur Works• Examiner.com/Philadelphia writer for o Business Technology o Business Events o Small Business Tax
4. What is Social Media?• Social media is online content created by people using highly accessible and scalable publishing technologies. At its most basic sense, social media is a shift in how people discover, read and share news, information and content.• It is the democratization of information, transforming people from content readers into publishers.• Social media has become extremely popular because it allows people to connect in the online world to form relationships for personal, political and business use.
5. Social Media Websites• Facebook – 750 Million Active users (70% outside the US)• Myspace – 120 Million Active Users• Blogs - 55 million active users (declining)• Linkedin – 130 million registered users• Twitter – not disclosed• YouTube - over 100 million videos a day• Plaxo• Yelp
6. Facebook Statisticshttp://www.facebook.com/press/info.php?statistics • More than 35 million users update their status each day • More than 3 million active Pages on Facebook • More than 1.5 million local businesses have active Pages on Facebook • Average user spends more than 55 minutes per day on Facebook • Every month, more than 70% of Facebook users engage with Platform applications • There are more than 250 million active users currently accessing Facebook through their mobile devices.
7. What is Marketing?Marketing is belief in yourself transferred to someone else.All people (someone else) are - 1) Customer 2) Potential Customer 3) Referral Marketing Partner a. Local business b. High Scool Classmate c. College AlumniSocial Media is not who you know but WHO KNOWS YOU!
8. What is Attraction Marketing?Attract is to exert a force on (a body) causing it to approach orprevent it from moving away;Attraction Marketing utilizes free or low cost social media toolsto "become the hunted"
9. Traditional Marketing TechniquesPUSH (TV, Radio, Newspapers, Magazines, Billboards, ProgramGuides)VersusPULL (Social Media, Websites, Radio Interviews...)"It is not who you know but who knows you" -http://www.otiscollier.com/its-not-who-you-know-but-who-knows-you/
10. Transparency to increase attractionNetworking Exercise --There is attraction based onyour high school, college orneighborhood. Must disclosein order to attract and let theweb work for you (go wide)
11. Build Your Brand• Marketing belief in yourself transferred to someone else o Testimonials o Visual appearance o Print o Integrations -- Website YouTube Facebook Linkedin• DEFINE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA STRATEGY o Platform - Facebook o Platform - Linkedin o Platform - Foursquare o Platform - Yelp
12. Facebook Ads Work!Facebook uses the power of influence (John X likes the ad)Facebook uses the status updates as content for the admeaning the ads dynamically change without programmerinterventionInfluence and Expert knowledge = attraction marketing
13. Case Study - PhillyCarShare
14. Case Study - ZipCar
15. How to use Facebook for branding• Use your home page for lead generation• Research prospects based on name and picture o 70% of all facebook users look at pictures o Quote - "Facebook says more than 3 billion photos are being uploaded every month.."• Connect with Friends of Friends• Respond to other interesting posts• ACCEPT all "friend" (someone else) requests• BE CONSISTENT• MAINTAIN A "fan" page
16. How does Linkedin work?Three levels of Engagement • On-line Resume o continuous update o can PDF • Recommendations o stand out from the crowd o useful for job search • Groups o build common interest o target market
17. Enhancements to Social MediaPresence• Content to attract target market• Landing Page (fan page is website for facebook)• Favorite pages (reciprocal relationship with other Businesses)• Membership - what is their incentive to o Become a fan o Suggest to friends o Automate tracking tools• ADVERTISE!!!!!
18. What does this mean for NIM Council?• How does this framework apply to the council’s goal of reaching & informing parents and caregivers?• Where can I and my organization plug in ?