• Collecting blood by penetrating a vein with a
NEEDLE and SYRINGE.
• The process of bloodletting.
• Obtain blood for diagnostic purposes and
monitoring of prescribed treatment.
• Remove blood for transfusions at a donor center.
• Remove blood for therapeutic purposes.
• Term applied to a person who has been
trained in various techniques to perform
• US standard:
offered as a
• Ph standard:
DEALING with PATIENTS
• PATIENT RIGHTS- phlebotomist must recognize the
rights and a privilege of a patient has while in a
hospital or other healthcare facility. These rights are
clearly defined in a document (A PATIENT’S BILL OF
• Serves to protect both the patient and the practitioner.
• The healthcare provider should recognize that all
patient information is absolutely private and
PROPER WASTE DISPOSAL
• Syringes, Needles, and other Sharps should be
disposed of properly in a RIGID and
PUNCTURE proof container.