1. How can a digital pen be just as easy to use as a regular pen, but also
powerful enough to improve productivity and cut costs?
With NextPen Solutions it’s not only possible, it’s simple and it’s fast.
• Streamline capture of patient data such as medical history
or provider dictation
• Document a patient encounter without using a personal
computer, even during home health visits
• Use voice dictation and handwriting interchangeably
during patient encounters
• Capture data even when there’s no Internet connection
• Ease the transition to an electronic health record (EHR)
Handwriting capture. Voice capture.
All with one digital pen!
Two capture styles to save
time and money:
2. “On average, we see about 10-12 new
patients a day. NextPen saves me 10-15
minutes per patient, or one and a half to
two hours a day!”
Ara S. Makdessian, MD, FACS, FRCSC
Bluegrass Ear, Nose Throat Clinic, PSC
3. So how does it work?
You can choose your data capture style – handwriting, or handwriting
plus voice. Only from NextGen Healthcare.
In just a few simple steps, our NextPen Solutions capture
information, turn it into structured data or enable transcription into
narrative text, and flow the data into the correct fields for the correct
patients in your NextGen®
Perfect for patients and providers who don’t dictate.
• Capture information—a tiny camera at the tip of this
ground-breaking pen tracks NextPen Write’s position
on a paper form and records every stroke.
• Turn information into structured data— place the pen
in its USB docking station to transfer the captured
“digital ink” for immediate conversion to structured data.
• Flow data into your EHR—once approved,
NextPen Write automatically flows the structured data
into the NextGen Ambulatory EHR and Practice
Perfect for providers who dictate
• Capture information—a microphone in this ground-
breaking pen records voice input. Simply double-tap
on the form to start recording and tap again to stop.
As users dictate into the pen, the recorded audio is
automatically associated with the correct patient,
form, and field. Use handwriting and dictation
interchangeably, seamlessly. Use whichever is most
convenient for a given field!
• Turn information into structured data—connect the
USB connector of NextPen Voice to your PC to transfer
the captured “digital ink” and dictation. Handwriting is
recognized immediately and dictation is automatically
routed for transcription.
• Flow data into your EHR—once approved, NextPen
Voice automatically flows the data into the patient’s
chart as narrative text.
• Switch between capture styles—Simply alternate
between handwriting capture and voice capture.
Capture writing and drawing.
Capture writing, drawing, and dictation!
4. Save time
Be amazed at the time you save with NextPen Solutions! Eliminate
scanning and transcription while accelerating patient encounters.
It’s easy and fast
Go from handwritten content (in cursive or print) to structured data
fast. With NextPen Voice, switch back and forth from handwritten
capture to voice capture instantly and seamlessly, using whichever
is most convenient for the specific data and situation.
• Populate multiple templates from a single form
• Draw or annotate in multiple colors and save as a PDF in
the patient’s chart
• Hold more than 200 pages of data inside NextPen Solutions,
so you can use them all day without docking
• Make staff happy with quick data downloads
• Patients can use it without training—If your patients can
use an ink pen, they can use the NextPen Write digital pen
• Your staff can use it with minimal training
• Eliminate duplicated data entry time
• Easily leave a hard copy when needed—you don’t need the
original because the data was captured as it was written
200PAGES OF DATA
inside NextPen Solutions — so you can
use them all day without docking.
5. “Using NextPen has allowed
the practice to collect and
store accurate, structured,
clinical data seamlessly, and
make patient information
more accessible through the
pre- and post- examination
process. NextPen has made
patient care more efficient
for our physicians.”
Steven I. Goodman, MD
Arthritis Associates of South Florida
Unlike competitive products, NextPen Solutions doesn’t charge
per-page fees, or require costly HL7 interfaces. Plus, there
are no upgrade fees.
• Speed workflow and avoid re-keying information for time
and cost savings
• Eliminate unnecessary paper—shred or return paper forms to
patients, and avoid filing unneeded documents
• Cost-efficient, quick training—With easy, cost-efficient webinar
training, your staff will be ready to use NextPen Solutions. Plus, if
you want help creating customized patient information forms, our
eLearning experts are ready to help!
6. Improve productivity
NextPen Write makes it easy to collect patients’ history,
demographics, drawings, and signatures for clear, complete
documentation. The NextPen Write free form library features
out-of-the-box starter forms, including Patient Intake, Review
of Systems, Orthopedic History for Patient Intake, Pediatric
Patient Intake, and a continually growing library of image
drawing forms for various specialties. If you prefer, you can
customize your own forms, in multiple languages, using
• Help streamline data collection so you can better meet
Meaningful Use requirements and improve patient care
• Ease the transition to an EHR using technology that doesn’t
interfere with patient visits
• Impressive, natural, easy-to-use technology for patients,
which helps improve patient-provider communication by moving
provider focus away from the keyboard and back to the patient
• Talk to dedicated NextPen Solutions experts during our free
online “office hours”
Even if your NextPen®
is lost or stolen, unauthorized users
cannot access its secure data.
digital pens will not transfer data to any
PC that does not first provide the preconfigured
password. Without it, the pen is unreadable.
digital pens use a tiny camera to recognize
a unique, secure dot pattern on the background of
every form printed by the system. The pattern contains
a unique identifier that the pens decode to match
the form to the appropriate patient record in the
EHR. This ensures that all patient data goes directly
and automatically to the correct record. Common
color laser printers can easily print these patterns on
ordinary copy paper, even though each pattern is as
unique as a fingerprint.
8. As the healthcare market evolves—particularly as a result of quality
initiatives and the demands for community data sharing—we can help
ensure that your technology investment is continually relevant and
adjusts to your ever-changing needs.
NextGen Healthcare’s rich, comprehensive portfolio—including a
robust, intergrated EHR and practice management solution—offers
you the freedom from searching for multiple vendors to fulfill your
growing needs, and rewards you with peace of mind.
Learn how you can increase
productivity, accelerate workflow,
and improve your bottom line using
NextPen Write and NextPen Voice
along with other innovative tools
from NextGen Healthcare.
Take the Next Step
See a NextPen Solutions demonstration.
Visit nextgen.com—or contact us at
1.855.510.6398 to learn more.
NextGen Healthcare Information Systems, LLC
795 Horsham Road, Horsham, PA 19044
p: 215.657.7010 | f: 215.657.7011
firstname.lastname@example.org | nextgen.com
Copyright © 2013 NextGen Healthcare Information
Systems, LLC. All rights reserved.
NextPen is a registered trademark of QSI
Management, LLC, an affiliate of NextGen
Healthcare Information Systems, LLC. LIVESCRIBE is
a trademark of Livescribe Inc. All other trademarks
are properties of their respective owners. Copyright
©2007–2014. All rights reserved. Anoto Live, Live
Pen and Live PDF are trademarks owned by Anoto
AB. Patented technology.
Designer are registered
trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.