Now a Twitter exercise to experiment with using hashtags to find useful political news
1. Digital impacts, Local Democracy Alison Powell, London School of Economics Online Neighbourhood Networks Conference, November 30, 2010
2. DIY CITIZENSHIP social media and social change Alison Powell, FutureEverything Manchester, May 14 2010
3. <ul><li>Media and democracy – past and present </li></ul><ul><li>Social media and local democracy </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Filter </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Feed </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Funnel </li></ul></ul><ul><li>The Dark Side </li></ul><ul><li>Discussion </li></ul>
4. In the beginning – the ideal for public discussion?
5. The Mass Media: all the news that's fit
6. alternatives Alternative access Alternative content Alternative governance
7. Community networks: community memory
8. Alternative content (save our playground)
9. This belongs to us: Community Wireless in Montreal
10. Hotspots in 2006
11. Hotspots in 2009
12. Portal Pages
13. GuiFi.net - Catalonia <ul><li>6,100 nodes </li></ul><ul><li>Participation of 25 town councils </li></ul><ul><li>Bandwidth sharing through backhaul </li></ul><ul><li>“ extending neutrality to the edge by providing an alternative” - founder </li></ul>
14. Part Two: Social Media Filter Feed Funnel
18. Time is of the essence
20. Where's my train?
23. Dark sides - Access divides reconfigured - We don't govern our platforms
24. Echo Chambers “ the Internet often makes the jump from deliberation to participation even more difficult, thwarting collective action under the heavy pressure of never-ending internal debate. This is what may explain the impotence of recent protests in Iran: Thanks to the sociability and high degree of decentralization afforded by the Internet, Iran's Green Movement has been split into so many competing debate chambers—some of them composed primarily of net-savvy Iranians in the diaspora—that it couldn't collect itself on the eve of the 31st anniversary of the Islamic revolution. The Green Movement may have simply drowned in its own tweets.” (Evgeny Morozov, New York Times Feb 20 2010)
26. Some questions: What opportunities do filter, feed and funnel provide? What constraints do they pose? What does effective use of Twitter look like?